Belgian with T-58 advice

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Belgian with T-58 advice

Post by Banjo-guy »

I've had the Midwest Honey Belgian recipe fermenting for 2 days and it is hitting about 64 degrees in my fridge. I'm wondering if I should let is rise or try to keep the fermentation in the low 60's. I was planning on letting it rise gradually to 68-70 degrees but I've just read that T- 58 gets harsh and alcoholic tasting at higher temps. Does anyone have experience to share with this yeast?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 3.06.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-23 at 3.06.42 PM.png (94.46 KiB) Viewed 460 times
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Re: Belgian with T-58 advice

Post by jimjohson »

I have made 1 brew with it and another is in the fermenters. I keep my fermentation chamber set for 65. I got a good peppery taste from it, went well with the rye in the recipe.
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

Thanks Jim. I'm trying to hold it at 64. I'm hoping to get a pepper flavor from the yeast.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FYI, T-58 can spike fermentation temps 8-10 degrees above ambient temps easily during the first couple of days of fermentation. It then will settle down quickly but if you are trying to manage temps, that's when it's most critical.

It doesn't start to get harsh unless it gets really hot in my experience, at least long as you pitch enough (IE full 11.5g pack in 2.5 gallons) but it does get very fruity if it gets up there. Combined with Nelson Sauvon a beer that went up to 78 at one point by accident where I used it ended up tasting like very ripe fresh cantaloupe with black peppercorns.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

I pitched a rehydrated 11.5 pack into 5 gallons. So far the temperatures have not spiked up as you mentioned. I measure the beer temperature by taping a probe under bubble wrap and attaching it to the bucket below the top surface of the liquid. It's probably hotter inside beer than it's reading on the outside but hopefully not by much.

I'm going to raise the temperature by a degree each day until it hits 70. Right now it's 65 on day three,