Lowering the ABV on recipes

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Lowering the ABV on recipes

Post by RickBeer »

Now that I have 1/2 dozen or so extract recipes that I've made and like, I want to look into making some of them at a lower ABV, around 4% or so. Reason - SWMBO likes some of them, but doesn't like it when the ABV is around 6% - even one sometimes gives her a headache.

Question 1: Logically, if a recipe was at 6%, and I want it at 4%, I'd cut the malt to 67% (4/6) of the recipe. For example:

Mackinac Island Red came in at 6%. 7.2 lbs of LME, 1/2 lb of Crystal 120, .375 lbs of Amber, plus an ounce of Northern at 60 and an ounce of Fuggles at 5.

So, to come in at 4%, I would use 4.8 lbs of LME, .335 lbs of Crystal 120, and .25 lbs of Amber.

Or, should I just cut the LME since the Crystal 120 and Amber don't really impact ABV too much and do impact flavor? On this recipe using few steeping grains, I'm leaning towards only cutting the LME (on recipes that have lots of steeping grains like the Stout I recently made, she doesn't care for it anyway).

I don't plan on cutting the hops at all, figuring that they will be a bit stronger but not too much.

Thoughts on the process?

Question 2:

Assuming the agreement is to just cut the LME, could I make two 2 1/2 gallon batches, one at 4% and one at 6%, as follows:

1) Make a 4% batch as normal.

2) While doing that, boiling a 1/2 the LME you took out (7.2 lbs - 4.8 lbs / 2 = 1.2 lbs) on it's own in a quart or so of water. Boil for 15 minutes.

3) Split the 4% batch equally, then add #2 to one of the LBKs instead of water when coming to the 2.5 gallon mark. This will result in one LBK coming in at 4% and one coming in at 6%.

Any reason this can't work?

Of course I could brew the 6% batch and have her add some cold water to her glass before pouring the beer...
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Lowering the ABV on recipes

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Cut back equally, if you just drop the LME back your going to impact the flavor profile. My 2 pennies worth.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I would agree with Steve. Especially since your talking about not cutting Crystal 120 and Amber. Both of those can impart some strong flavors. So just cutting the LME might really throw the balance out of whack.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Just quickly doing a calculation on BrewMe app, looks like dropping everything back 30% would do the trick. For better ingredient weight control break your weight down into ounces then multiply x .70 Ex. 7.2 lb LME = 115.20 oz.
115.20 oz x .70 = 80.64 oz would be scaled back 30%.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You may want to add a bit of carapils or carafoam to the recipe though after cutting it back in the other ways, so you end up with more (similar) mouth feel even though it's a lower OG beer.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Thanks guys. I figured it was a simple math exercise, but didn't want to find out "hey, didn't you know...".

I actually do everything in ounces, it's just that QBrew (where I list things) does it in fractions of pounds. I measure my own grains out in ounces for each, stand and watch them fill the LME containers, weigh the LME containers before pouring into the pot and after and then verify how much I had, ...

Any reason I can't do #2 - i.e. adding boiled LME to one of the kegs to get two different ABV batches?
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Adding the LME (or DME) diluted in a bit of water and boiled would be like a sugar feeding. So yes you can do that to one keg if you wish. But that will then change the BU:GU ratio, so the lower ABV beer is going to seem more bitter then the higher ABV beer which will seem more malty.

If you don't want that effect you could use sugar, that will raise the ABV but not change perceived maltyness. But it will not increase the body either.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

<channeling JoeChiante> "Or you could tell your wife to make her own damn beer"

:p
Sibling Brewers
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Wow, that is a comment you dont often hear. Usually it is "if I add 10# of sugar to my 2.5g batch will it get me drunker sooner?
mashani wrote:You may want to add a bit of carapils or carafoam to the recipe though after cutting it back in the other ways, so you end up with more (similar) mouth feel even though it's a lower OG beer.
I agree with this and do this when making session IPAs to keep them from feeling watery. The splitting into two LBKs also sounds like a winner and thus everyone wins!

Rick, I saw your comment about weighing the LME. How does it usually come in for you? Doesnt surprise me after hearing you counted 2,000 bottle caps. Also, on an unrelated note, liked your bottle caps (I have the same). It is funny handing someone a beer with the "Twist Off" directions and watch them struggle. Yes, I am that mean.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

The LME is accurate weight, I stand next to them when they fill them. I mostly weigh them before and after to figure out how much is stuck in the container... But my process now includes using a big ladle and scouping some 140 degree wort into the container, swishing or shaking it, then dumping it into the pot - which seems to get nearly all of it. I used to leave a few ounces behind in the large container.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

philm00x

Post by philm00x »

I was doing some fiddling with my Chocolate Brown Ale recipe on BeerSmith and came to a realization as far as adjusting ABV without killing the flavor and other desirable attributes. On the other end, I was trying to 'imperialize' my recipe and while adjusting all of the ingredients by the same ratio definitely affects the beer, it doesn't affect it in the way I intended. What it came down to was that you want to increase or decrease your base malt and hops by the same ratio, but leave your specialty grains alone. This leaves the same flavors, mouthfeel, and such that the original recipe has, but brings the ABV up or down accordingly. If you were to increase the amounts of specialties in the recipe, the beer will become too sweet, or too thick, or too foamy, or too.... whatever compared to the original (or not enough of whatever attributes in the case of reducing the specialties).
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

RickBeer wrote:The LME is accurate weight, I stand next to them when they fill them. I mostly weigh them before and after to figure out how much is stuck in the container... But my process now includes using a big ladle and scouping some 140 degree wort into the container, swishing or shaking it, then dumping it into the pot - which seems to get nearly all of it. I used to leave a few ounces behind in the large container.
Ha, I now do this after learning the hard way not to swish around near boiling wort in the container with the top on. Makes a bloody mess!
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company