Quick-Wash Yeast

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Quick-Wash Yeast

Post by joechianti »

Dang, John. Sounds like quite a fiasco you had there. You know the expression, if at first you don't succeed......
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Okay, I'm throwing in the towel, for now at least. After 15 batches, I decided to open up a new pack of yeast and start again. Using a 11.5 gm pack of Fermentis SF-33 this time. Will like to see how it compares with the Cooper's yeast over the long haul. I just couldn't bring myself to dump that other yeast, so I saved it in the fridge. If I don't find a use for it within a week or two, then I'll let it go.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I have this vision of Joe washing yeast...

I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Well, today should be interesting. Several things going on now. I decided to see if any luck can be had with wine yeast running from batch to batch. Since there was so little sediment in the red I racked from the fermenter yesterday, especially with no hops to deal with, I just put the new batch right in there as is. Hopefully by today I'll know if it works or not.
Also decided to test out that last batch of yeast I saved in fridge 2 weeks ago when I started a new run with the S-33. I made a very small starter for it yesterday, mostly just to make sure it was still active. Today I'll use it in a new batch and see if the streak is still alive. I'll harvest the S-33 yeast from the batch I'm bottling today and keep it in fridge now. That will give me 2 running yeast colonies from different original sources, plus one can be for darker beers and one for lighter beers. I'll just update this post once I see if all this works out well or not. Two weeks is the longest I've held on to this stuff in fridge before using it again without any further refinement. I just left it in there and when I took it out I poured off the top liquid, let it and the starter wort both reach room temp, then put them together.

[Update] - Well, it appears as though the wine yeast isn't going to play along so nicely like the beer yeast did. After 24 hours, there appears to be no action at all, so when I get home from work today I'll probably just pitch some new yeast and move on with it.

As for the beer yeast, after 15 consecutive batches of successful fermentation, then sitting in the fridge for 2 weeks before adding a small starter, that hardy little colony is at it again. I pitched the starter at 6:30 last night and when I woke up at 4:30 this morning it was in full bloom. That's 10 hours, but I can't say how long it was going before I woke up. And that's all from one 5 gram packet of Coopers yeast. That colony is now my Porter and Stout yeast, and I'm looking forward to seeing not only how much longer it can remain effective, but also how much longer it can sit in fridge between uses. One time I let it sit 2 days and used it straight away. This time it sat 2 weeks then had a little starter. Maybe I'll see if it can sit a month next time and take off again with a medium starter. The other colony from the Fermentis S-33 will now become my yeast longevity experiment for lighter beers.

[Update 2] - I may have counted out the wine yeast too soon. Got home from work today to find it has started doing something. Slow and steady but not dead.
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Keep it going Joe I enjoy reading about your exploits with your yeast colony's.
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

JohnSant wrote:Keep it going Joe I enjoy reading about your exploits with your yeast colony's.
Thanks, John. I do plan to keep going with it. I think we can thank my parents for this. They refused to let me have an ant farm when I was a kid.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

joechianti wrote:
JohnSant wrote:Keep it going Joe I enjoy reading about your exploits with your yeast colony's.
Thanks, John. I do plan to keep going with it. I think we can thank my parents for this. They refused to let me have an ant farm when I was a kid.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
JohnSant
Fully Fermented