Latest Ss Brewtech purchases

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BlackDuck

Re: Latest Ss Brewtech purchases

Post by BlackDuck »

I went back and checked the directions for installation and it doesn't say anything about lube on the o rings....I could have sworn I read that somewhere. Maybe I got it mixed up with something else. Maybe that's part of the problem, I'll clean them off and retry. When you tighten then nut down, does the o ring spread out a bit? I'll try to snap a picture later tonight and post it so you can see what I'm dealing with.
The arm is loose inside, it simply just slides into the assembly that gets tightened on to the fermenter.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I do think the ring 'gives' a bit and that's normal. I plan to keg tonite or tomorrow morning and when I get the beer out of my fermenter and clean, I'll take a close look and give you more detail.
I want to be sure that I am not confused by the part names as well since I can't swear I'm giving the hardware the proper name. I'll get on their website and clear that up.
But I can say that the few times, early on, that I emailed them, I got a fast reply to my email. This was before they were sold retail so I'm sure their huge now and reply times may be longer.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

There was no instruction that said to use lube on the rings. I don't and haven't had issues yet.

I think there is a little wiggle room to allow you to turn the whole valve assembly post fermentation so that the trub arm is point upwards. I always test my seal when I fill the fermenter with StarSan before putting the wort in.

I take mine apart after each brew and store it separately so I can clean and sanitize everything.

I align the racking arm/trub arm inside with the blue valve on/off switch, so that starts off pointing to the left at about horizontal. Then, post fermentation I rotate it 90 degrees so it's vertical for racking.

Make sense?
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Thanks...makes total sense. I am beginning to think that my issue may be the lube. All else is the same as you two are doing.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Just resist the urge to over-tighten. It seems very counter-intuitive, but it works.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I cleaned off the lube and reassembled and it works a ton better. That had to be my issue. I can tighten it much more before the o ring starts to spread from beneath the nut. If I over tighten, then the o ring spreads. Thanks for the help guys, all figured out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Glad to hear. I always question "hand tighten" but usually when it starts hurting the fingers, it's done.
Did you get an extra set of rings with your kit? I know I did at that time. Haven't used it yet.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Yes, I did get some extra o rings. If I tighten till it hurts a bit, then it seems to be just a tad too tight. So I tighten to where it hurts a bit, then back it off about a quarter turn and seems like then it's in it's sweet spot.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

So after a thourough cleaning when you first got this unit, did you guys passivate it? If so, how? Looks like a strong concentration of starsan will do the trick. Just wondering if there is any other way.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

When I got mine, they sent me this video which I pretty much followed though I think I let it sit in PBW first for a few hours in hot water. I did let the Star San sit longer than they suggested.
Never have had any problems at all.

PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Thanks...did you use a normal concentration of Star San? 1 ounce per 5 gallons? I read that in order to passivate correctly, it should be 1 ounce per 1 gallon. That just seems like overkill to me.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I just used a regular dose. I don't recall when these came out that they were specific at all so I left it alone.
Keep in mind, when I got mine, they weren't even for sale yet to the public so I guess they were learning as they went. I can only say that I've noticed nothing but an improvement in my beer using these so I guess I did things right enough.
Sorry I can't be any more help than this. Did SS Brewtech suggest a higher concentration? I've read where others used TSP saying someone at Brewtech suggested it but that was never something I heard from them at that time.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

It was a BeerSmith article that said to use the higher concentration to passivate any new stainless brewing gear. I have TSP to do the initial cleaning.

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I used TSP for the cleaning and StarSan to passivate. I think I did use 1oz to 1G but I also only used 1G. I let that sit in the bottom and just continually used a wet rag (with a glove) to wipe down the sides, etc. to keep them wet. I did that for about 5 minutes, then drained and let it air dry.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Mix some up for a spray bottle, start at the top around the circumference and let it slide down the sides as it dries give it another spritz.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013