Latest Ss Brewtech purchases

There are so many gadgets and other stuff you can use to brew! Ask, learn and share what you got here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Latest Ss Brewtech purchases

Post by losman26 »

I just purchased a 7 gal Chronical from Ss Brewtech and should be receiving it Thursday. I really wanted the brewbucket for a while, but feel like dropping an extra $175 for a true SS conical is worth the investment. I also decided to go with their FTS temp control unit as well. Unless I'm brewing multiple batches at once, I don't see myself using my better bottles any longer.

http://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/7-gallon-chronical
http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/f ... l-7-gallon
Beer-lord

Re: Latest Ss Brewtech purchases

Post by Beer-lord »

I am uber jealous. I'd love the conical but it would be no use to me without the temp control.
Can't wait to hear how this goes. Congrats on a great adventure.
And, I've talked to some of the SS guys and their customer service is off the charts.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

Beer-lord wrote:I am uber jealous. I'd love the conical but it would be no use to me without the temp control.
Can't wait to hear how this goes. Congrats on a great adventure.
And, I've talked to some of the SS guys and their customer service is off the charts.
Thanks. I've always wanted a conical, but cannot buy another chest freezer for temp control, and Blichmanns are way too expensive. Once I heard about their FTS temp control system, I jumped on it. Yeah service is awesome. They said that they are going to release some blem chronicals for $300 in a month or so. For a 7 gal conical, that is an absolute steal.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Any idea how much ice is needed to keep that thing at fermenting temps and how long it will last? I'm thinking, much like chilling my beer with a pond pump, an ice chest full of ice and water will keep it pretty cool, maybe too cool.
Enjoy!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

It's hard to say how much ice will be needed because I haven't used it yet. I would think around what I was using with my cool brewing bag, which was a couple of large frozen water bottles a day. With this fts system though, I will be able to have greater control. With the cool brewing bag, sometimes my temp would shoot too low.

I plan on brewing next week and will post the results.
Last edited by losman26 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

That's great!
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Damn, that is pretty! Forget the pics, I want video when you start using that bad boy! :jumpy:
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

I don't have any videos yet, but I have to say that this thing is awesome with their Ftss temp control. I put a few ice bottles in a cooler, and the temp lowers within a couple of minutes to the target temp. I'm using this without the neoprene jacket too. The only thing that is confusing is to when to dump the trub???
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Based on my 6 uses of the SS Brew Bucket, it's quality stuff so I can only assume they've done their research with this sweet rig. But, I'm starting to worry that the future will take the fun out of brewing as we get geekier and geekier. But I still want all of that stuff.
Can't wait to see and hear more of this toy.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Looking for reviews on the Ss Brewtech Brew Bucket Stainless Steel Fermenter - not the Chronical. I'm not ready to drop that much money on a fermentor but I am looking at this.

Paul, anybody else - how do you like yours?

I wish it had a valve to drop trub, but the lack of needing a siphon going forward has me thinking about one of these.

I'd love to hear any input.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I now only use the SS Fermenter and the Big Mouth, with the SS the most. I love it. Easy to clean, small and durable and light. I've brewed about 20 batches in it now.
But, I don't use the racking arm. My trub is always about that high and I still use my autosiphon. It's never really worked out for me for racking from it but YMMV. Maybe its my over pitching but EVERY fermenter I use has lots of funk in the bottom than what I see in pics of other brewers. And, I use a double meshed strainer going into the fermenter.

I can also say that the few times I contacted them, replies were uber fast. Keep in mind I got mine in the initial batch, before they were out for general release and retail and saved about $50.
I'm sure it's been tweaked more as well but I have no qualms about recommending one. The only minor beef for me is the handles. I wished they were plastic coated because lifting 6 gallons of wort can hurt a bit.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

That's great input, thanks. I saw MoreBeer had them on sale and then started reading and thinking about how I could use my Thermowell with it. I'll have to buy the slightly more expensive version (the one I linked to) to use that but I think I'm ok with that.

I'll be curious to see just how much trub collects in relation to the racking arm for me. I've read that there is a longer arm you can buy so if you do that and point it up maybe that would solve your problem?
D_Rabbit
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by D_Rabbit »

Uber jealous! Was going to drop the money on it this year since I won my fantasy football league but am running out of room to put stuff so passed on it for now. Enjoy!! I know I would!
Howling Husky Brewing Company
Fermenting
Nothing at the moment

Kegged

Tap 1: Mango Saison
Tap 2: Southern Belle Brown Ale
Tap 3: Kings Porter - Robust Porter, 5.6% ABV
Tap 4: Empty :(
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

The instructions I got said to point it down as the beer is fermenting and then point it up right before you use it, that way only a small amount of junk gets in it.
I did see they sell a longer one. I like using my auto siphon so no biggie for me.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

How heavy is it? I can't seem to find the weight anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck