Cyprus fruit in beer?

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Cyprus fruit in beer?

Post by Ibasterd »

I didn't know where to post this as it is an unusual question, and I can't find any info on the web. I was going to try to brew a juniper beer but I can't find any fresh juiper around here (florida). So I'm thinkng about cyprus tree fruit. I seem to remember that juniper and cyprus are related. The cyprus fruit that I have found and smelled, remind me of juniper berries, just bigger. Anyone ever heard of using cyprus fruit in beer?
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
BlackDuck

Re: Cyprus fruit in beer?

Post by BlackDuck »

I've not heard of using cypress in beer. The only thing that I can say here is that I think your right that they are very closely related. I know that doesn't really help much, but that's all I can say on the subject.

EDIT...I did find this...not sure if you saw this or not:
http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/t ... ry.128878/
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Read this.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/cypress-edible-90255.html

Short version: I would not use anything besides Juniper, or perhaps some young white pine or spruce needles. You have to be careful with pine/spruce, older needles or too much and you get turpentine beer which isn't good eats.

You can find dried juniper berries in any bigger grocery stores in the spice isle, at least around here. Whole Foods has it too.

Note that even Juniper can have toxic effects in larger quantities, so don't go nuts with it even if you like really strong flavor.
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Thanks for the info guys. And here I thought I was going to break new ground in home brewing! I suppose I will have to go the juniper berry route. I was hoping to find fresh juniper boughs to run the wort through. I know I have seen juniper here FL, just not now that I want it. Such is life.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Ibasterd wrote:Thanks for the info guys. And here I thought I was going to break new ground in home brewing! I suppose I will have to go the juniper berry route. I was hoping to find fresh juniper boughs to run the wort through. I know I have seen juniper here FL, just not now that I want it. Such is life.
I know this is an older thread but I seem to be perennially backed up lately. :p

Have you tried botanical gardens and, darn it I forgot the word, the tree gardens also the grounds keepers at Disney?
They may not be growing wild but there may be some display varieties nearby if you are keen on fresh.

Just a thought.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers