Beer Swap!

The information and announcements you need to know about the BeerBorg community.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Beer Swap!

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

It just occurred to me that I'll actually be able to keep a very well stocked supply of my delicious homebrew now. Brewing tens instead of fivers means having more beer than I'll know what to do with. One benefit I see is that my beers won't have to be served up young anymore, some will actually get to stand the test of time and go on to be aged before serving. I'll also have enough beer in stock to share with other homebrewers passionate enough about their craft to find themselves taking an interest in this.

This endeavor is not to be interpreted as a competition, necessarily, but rather as an opportunity to share, sample and enjoy beers of our own making with fellow brewers and friends.,
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Beer Swap!

Post by John Sand »

Sounds like a great idea Vince. I enjoy bringing my beers to homebrew meetings and family dinners. I plan to enter another competition soon, and I sent a few bottles to a guy who sent me some hops. Beer is like a smile: best when shared.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

John Sand wrote:Sounds like a great idea Vince. I enjoy bringing my beers to homebrew meetings and family dinners. I plan to enter another competition soon, and I sent a few bottles to a guy who sent me some hops. Beer is like a smile: best when shared.
This is a fairly new concept of sharing for me too. A Facebook friend of mine will be mailing me a few samples of his homebrew in the coming weeks. The idea is for me to sample them then send him a few bottles of mine reusing his shipping package.

It'll be a good example for me to learn just how to pack bottled beer and ship them to someone. Just like brewing there always seems to be more to learn for home brewers.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I'm always up for a share, and I'm guessing the big borg Christmas share will get some momentum soon as well. Thanks for reminding me that I have a box or two to send out soon...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I'm looking forward to the Secret Santa too. I have better beer to send!
I just shipped some bottles USPS. (I know it's not "legal". Pot isn't either, under federal law.) They were well wrapped in bubble wrap and double boxed, arrived fine.
Never mind, there it is.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I there a best way to package the bottles? I guess I want to know if anyone's ever posted a how-to guide for shipping beer that's been proven to work the best. I joined a beet of the month club a few years ago but threw out the molded cardboard inserts the bottles were in. I've got at least a month before I'll have anything to ship but I'd like to start planning early, the Christmas Beer Swap sounds like fun, count me in this year too.

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Beet of the month club? YUCK! :lol:

How To Pack and Ship Beer
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I think the AHA has some tips used for shipping to competitions. I single wrap in bubble, and double box. If the boxes are a tight fit, great. If not, foam between the boxes. I see it as two requirements: to protect from impact and from shaking. So pack tightly and box strongly. It's been 27 years, but I used to pack and ship for Grainger.
Never mind, there it is.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

And bag so IF they break no leaks... Leaking boxes are pulled by all the companies.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

A while back the head of the USPS mentioned wanting to add shipping beer and wine as a way to increase revenue.

I haven't seen any new reporting on that lately but it would be nice as I'm guessing some shipping containers for it would hit the market as well.

I wish it wasn't so expensive to ship beer I might enter more competitions and I definitely like sending beers around the :borg: .
Sibling Brewers
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I regularly ship beer to a few other Borg members. I only use UPS. And I'm lucky enough to be able to ship from work, so I don't have to declare what's in it like you might need to do at a UPS Store. I put each bottle in a zip lock bag, but I'm not sure if that will help if one breaks...I would imagine the broken glass would go right through that bag. But I do it non-the-less. Then each one gets a healthy dose of bubble wrap. And I make sure that the top and bottom of the bottle is well protected. Then the bottles go in a box with plenty of packing stuff. I use whatever I can find at work. It ranges from bubble wrap, wadded up wrap the is used to wrap product on skids, to air packs to wadded up newspaper. You just need to make sure that it's well packed, don't skimp on the packing material.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I'm one of the rogues that also uses USPS Flat Rate boxes. I use healthy amounts of bubble wrap, put each bottle in a ziplock bag to protect from leaks, and ensure that no bottles touch the box (meaning that there is plenty of packaging between bottles and the sides for protection).

I used UPS a number of times without issue, too - it was just 3X the cost because I'm sitting here on the West Coast and it seems the rest of the Borg is at least half a country away.

When you are ready to do some swaps, just say so. There's plenty of guys here that do it already. It's fun to have another Borg member review your beer and it's great to taste the recipes that you see here in return.

In fact, I've been meaning to reach out to few people on here that I haven't yet to see about a swap or two. I might have to do that if I get time this weekend.
jimjohson
Brewer of the Month
Brewer of the Month

Post by jimjohson »

BlackDuck wrote:I regularly ship beer to a few other Borg members. I only use UPS. And I'm lucky enough to be able to ship from work, so I don't have to declare what's in it like you might need to do at a UPS Store. I put each bottle in a zip lock bag, but I'm not sure if that will help if one breaks...I would imagine the broken glass would go right through that bag. But I do it non-the-less. Then each one gets a healthy dose of bubble wrap. And I make sure that the top and bottom of the bottle is well protected. Then the bottles go in a box with plenty of packing stuff. I use whatever I can find at work. It ranges from bubble wrap, wadded up wrap the is used to wrap product on skids, to air packs to wadded up newspaper. You just need to make sure that it's well packed, don't skimp on the packing material.

after getting a box from you I sure changed the way I packed
"Filled with mingled cream and amber
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain
-- Quaintest thoughts -- Queerest fancies
Come to life and fade away;
Who cares how time advances?
I am drinking ale today."

Edgar Allan Poe
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Well I bottled up five gallons last night and they're naturally carbing in the brew room now.

Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Count me in! I also use UPS, recycle bubble wrap and boxes from incoming freight, put 13 gallon kitchen garbage bag in the box first then add in the protected precious cargo. Also have a bunch of PET bottles that maybe I can send for swaps and include return label to ship the bottles back!
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013