Using Fermcap, sort of.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Using Fermcap, sort of.

Post by joechianti »

Well, I had seen several posts awhile back about using Fermcap to prevent blowouts in the fermenter. Since I started using harvested yeast, probably using a little too much I might add, I've had some healthy blowouts in the LBK. I was about to order some Fermcap when I remembered that those old Beer Machine kits some of us bought last year came with "de-foaming" disks. I did a little research and it seems they're soaked with Fermcap or an equivalent. Since I never throw anything away, I still had some. Just started a new batch with plenty of harvested yeast, so I threw one of those in there to see how well it works. Will try to follow up and report how it goes, in case anyone else still has them and might like to use them, too.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Using Fermcap, sort of.

Post by Gymrat »

Do some research on that stuff. It has been associated with some health issues.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Does the Irish moss/Whirfloc not do the same thing but without the health risks?
Sibling Brewers
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

No, Fermcap is used to control the foam and head as the beer ferments. It does nothing to clear the beer.
I've used it sparingly when making a yeast starter in my flasks to prevent boilovers and it works well. A little goes a long way.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Hmmmm. I wonder if it also has a negative effect on the head on a glass of beer poured at the end of the conditioning time.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Here is a thread where it was discussed on the AHA forum. It doesn't look like a BIG threat but I do think it is something a person using it should be aware of.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/f ... #msg151703
russki
Russki
Russki

Post by russki »

I use Fermcap in all my beers; it's magic stuff! I know some people have concerns about ingesting trace amounts of it left in the finished beer, but it really is the same chemical that Gas-X is made from, as well as infant gas drops - simethicone. If I can give it to my 4-month old, I can put it in my beer!
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Thanks for the heads up, Roger. I'll keep that in mind and try to use it sparingly. The main reason I considered it was because I fill the LBK up so full. I go to the top of the little "arches" above the "Q", leaving very little headspace. That, combined with pitching more generous amounts of yeast than I used to, has created the little issue with overflow lately. I hope this solves the problem without killing off my liver. But then, if many years of 100 proof whiskey didn't do it in, it's probably tough enough to handle most anything. :rolleyes:
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

let us not forget that the leading cause of death in the world is............................

LIFE :) :) :)
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013