looking to make a red

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

looking to make a red

Post by BeerRust »

I am due to brew a few more brews and trying to come up with some ideas. One thing I have not done is a RED.

Any ideas where to start for an extract with grain steeps?
Last edited by BeerRust on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: looking to make a red

Post by swenocha »

There are several ways to get there. I currently have a red ale fermenting that is detailed here that is an AG using munich, caramunich and crystal 80. In the past when I've done LME versions, I've used something around 10% of the grain bill in crystal 60 and 2.5% crystal 120 in the steep to achieve the red color. You can also use an small amount of dehusked carafa III to get similar results.

Here is one of my LME based versions that I quite liked (linky), though I now wouldn't advise using the flaked corn in a steep (I do, however, still use it in my all-grain mash). If I were doing an LME version of this again, I'd either use corn syrup or additional extract in place of the corn, or I'd just mini-mash the grains (would need to add some base grain to do that though):
Chirp! Red Ale
--------------
Brewer: Swenocha
Style: Red Ale
Batch: 2.40 gal
Extract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.056 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 20 IBU
Recipe Color: 17° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.014
Alcohol by Volume: 5.6 %
Alcohol by Weight: 4.5 %
Ingredients
-----------
Briess DME - Golden Light 0.50 lb, Extract, Extract
Briess LME - Pilsen Light 3.30 lb, Extract, Extract
CaraMunich 0.50 lb, Grain, steeped
Crystal 120L 0.50 lb, Grain, steeped
Flaked Corn 0.50 lb, Adjunct, steeped
Kent Goldings (U.K.) 0.50 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes
Kent Goldings (U.K.) 0.25 oz, Pellet, 15 minutes
s-04 dry yeast 1.00 unit, Other,
Whirfloc 0.50 unit, Fining, 15 min
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I like 80L in my reds a lot.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Here's a easy over the counter Red I've done quite a few times http://www.midwestsupplies.com/irish-red-ale-kit.html. I sent one out in the secret santa thing a while back and he liked it so much he wanted to know what it was and I told him and now he brews it a lot. A Simple extract brew.
Edit: I've done it with 05 everytime, but I'm thinking 04 might be even better on this one.......
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I like the Mackinac Island Red from Adventures in Home Brewing. Have a batch that will be ready next weekend.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

Those seem interesting. What is the best way to achieve the red color, with a good profil?
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

The Mackinac uses Pale LME, 8oz of Crystal 120 and 6 oz of Amber. Very simple recipe, and tasty!
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Some may frown upon this but I have added a few drops of red food coloring at the end of the boil to get a nice red color to some of my reds and it doesn't change the taste.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Traditional reds have just a smidgen of really dark roasted grain like roasted barley or British chocolate malt (480L+ type of stuff), along with light to medium crystal malts like 20L to 60L (or 45L/55L British crystal). I tend to make mine that way with a small amount of 75L or 80L too.

The 120L is very tasty stuff, as is the special B you can find in some recipes - but both of those can bring a dark stone fruit vibe to the party that I personally am not looking for in my reds and is not really authentic in a traditional sense. Just depends on what you want.

I tend to use british ale yeasts in my reds too. I like them to be bready, malty, grainy, and just a little bit sweet.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

berryman wrote:Here's a easy over the counter Red I've done quite a few times http://www.midwestsupplies.com/irish-red-ale-kit.html. I sent one out in the secret santa thing a while back and he liked it so much he wanted to know what it was and I told him and now he brews it a lot. A Simple extract brew.
Edit: I've done it with 05 everytime, but I'm thinking 04 might be even better on this one.......
I did this kit several times when I was extract brewing. When I first started doing all grain I bought the all grain version. I do like it better with 04. I also beefed mine up by dry hopping a couple ounces of fuggles to give it some aroma.
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

Cool I actually have some Chocolate and Crystal from past brews. Should I go with light or extra light DME?
swenocha
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by swenocha »

I don't know that it matters that much in regards to light v. extra light, IMHO. Just be careful with the amount of chocolate malt... I think in too high of quantity, it will skew the flavor profile away from a red and into a porter-ish. But that's just MHO. I think Mashani's "smidgen" description is especially apt in this case. Keep us posted on progress...
Swenocha is a vast bastard of brewing knowledge - Wings_Fan_In_KC

Fermenting:
nada... zip...

Drinking:
nada... zip... maybe an N/A beer here and there...
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

I'm thinking; 2.5 gals

Steeped
2 Oz's crystal 40L
2 Oz's chocolate

3 lbs Light DME

.5 Oz's EKG 20 mins
.5 Oz's EKG 5 mins

S-04
Keep it nice and simple.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

If it was me, I'd go with just 1oz of chocolate, and a bit more crystal, like 2-3oz of C40 and 2-3oz of something darker like C-80 to get more color and flavor.

2oz of chocolate and you might start to taste it and you don't want to be making a pale porter I assume. When I said smidgen I really meant smidgen!

Somebody here would say that would be icky.

Somebody
:lies:

(it probably still would taste good, but still perhaps not as intended)
FedoraDave
FedoraDave
FedoraDave

Post by FedoraDave »

mashani wrote:If it was me, I'd go with just 1oz of chocolate, and a bit more crystal, like 2-3oz of C40 and 2-3oz of something darker like C-80 to get more color and flavor.

2oz of chocolate and you might start to taste it and you don't want to be making a pale porter I assume. When I said smidgen I really meant smidgen!

Somebody here would say that would be icky.

Somebody
:lies:

(it probably still would taste good, but still perhaps not as intended)
I agree on dialing back on the chocolate. You want it in there, but you don't want it taking over, which it can do pretty quickly. And I've learned that it's easier to make adjustments when you have too little and have to add than it is when you have too much and need to scale it back.
Obey The Hat!

http://www.homebrew-with-the-hat.com

Some regard me as a Sensei of Brewing
Fedora Brauhaus
Up Next:
Rocking Chair Orange Wheat
Fermenting/Conditioning
South Ferry Steam Beer -- Ottertoberfest
Drinking:
Rye-Guy IPA -- Fedorus Magnus Kölsch