New England Regional

News and inform about upcoming competitions or ones that you have entered.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

New England Regional

Post by Crazy Climber »

Got my entries submitted on Friday for the 9th Annual New England Regional Homebrew Competition(NERHBC), which will take place on 10/18. They capped the comp at 450 entries. Entries opened on Friday and as of today, three days later, entries are closed already. I guess I'm glad I acted quickly.

I submitted 8 entries representing 7 beers (one of them entered in two categories). Easily, it's the most entries I have submitted in a comp. Some beers I entered because they're good (IMO)....and one beer I entered specifically because it didn't turn out well and I want the constructive criticism. I have some ideas on how to improve that one, but want to get some expert opinions, as well. I've also entered a beer that's still in the fermenter -- twice.

My entries:

1) My basil lager, in the herb beer category (I really like this beer)
2) German pils (also not bad, IIMSSM)
3 & 4)Irish Red / American Brown (it was intended as an Irish Red, but it came out more like a Brown Ale, so I want to get opinions from both angles)
5) California Common (came out poorly, due to me using a yeast that threw way too many phenols at the temps I used -- live and learn -- but I'd like to get some BJCP-certified feedback on it)
6) American Pale Ale, featuring a touch of rye and lots of New Zealand hops. This was my first BIAB in a while, so I'm anxious to get feedback on the results of my process.
7) My wet-hop IPA, which I documented in a photo essay on the Borg, in one of the hop-growing threads
8) I also entered that IPA in the wood-aged category, as I have oak chips soaking in bourbon, which I will add to some of the bottles at bottling time. This recipe scored pretty well last year in this comp.

Of course, there will be a complete rundown of my results --as I did last year-- when I get them in about 5-6 weeks!
Last edited by Crazy Climber on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: New England Regional

Post by Inkleg »

All the best CC, that's pretty cool that you're entering flawed beers just for the feed back. That gives me some ideas too.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Awesome, best of luck CC!
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Good luck CC, kind of makes sense to throw one into two categories when its borderline. What part of Mass. have wife's family in Hingham/Dorchester area. BigPapaG I'll be in your neck of the woods in about 6 weeks for 4-5 days U.S. side of the Falls.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

This is usually the only comp I enter each year, and the main reason I do so (and thus load up on entries) is because my LHBS is a drop-off point. I am NOT a fan of packaging up and shipping beers -- too much effort, materials and expense for me. The fact that I can enter by simply making an LHBS trip that I was going to make anyway, is a huge plus.

Steve - I'm not near Hingham or Dorchester (I should say, "Dawch-stah"). I'm from the western part of the state, walking distance to the CT border. People around here associate more with Hartford than Boston. We don't even have the infamous accent...even though I went to college in Worcester (I should say, "Wiss-tah").
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

I have noticed that traveling from west to east in the state. Also noticed the drivers are a little better west than east in the state!
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

Tomorrow's the day for this competition. I'm hoping to have my score sheets within the next week or two. I'll post results when I have 'em!
Crazy Climber:
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Good luck CC!
I was away when you started this thread, so I missed it. I just dropped off two beers (APA, IPA) at a brew store yesterday, for a local competition. I may drop off one more after I taste it, if they don't fill up.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

The results have been posted, and.............I didn't win any medals. :( Not a surprise, though, as some of the beers I entered were flawed, and many of the good ones (IMO) were entered in categories that had more than 40 entries.

The lone exception is my Pilsner, which I thought was decent, but it didn't place in a category of 12 entries (there was an honorable mention given in that category, so 4 of 12 Pilsners placed).

In the "what-might-have-been" department, my Cal Common turned out flawed due to a miscommunication between me and my LHBS-owner/yeast-manufacturer -- long story. I entered it knowing that it was not a good representative, but looking for expert feedback. Turns out there were only 6 entries in the Hybrid category. So, if my Cal Common had turned out OK, it would have a 50/50 chance of medaling. Live and learn...

Anyway, this is just the first piece of info from the comp. The important info is still to come. Really looking forward to receiving the score sheets and analyzing the feedback!
Crazy Climber:
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Sorry you didn't medal CC.
Looking forward to the comments on your Basil Lager and the scores on your other beers.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison