First Time eBIAB Process

Have a question about how to do a BIAB or have a technique that you want to share. Just brew it!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

First Time eBIAB Process

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Well all of the parts have been assembled and wet tested on my 62 quart electric brew in a bag system now. I Teflon taped all of the stainless steel connections at the sparge head, pump and kettle valve. I filled the kettle up half way with tap water and then took it up to 110 degrees while the pump was running and made sure all of the leaks were completely sealed. The convoluted counter flow wort chiller is coming in next week, once it gets here I can figure out the quick disconnects I need to order and hook it up too.
build-a-sml.jpg
build-a-sml.jpg (74.42 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
Now that all the planning for the equipment is just about done its time for me to start thinking about how I'm going to brew on the new setup. Using BIAB Calculator I came up with the following volume calculation.

Clock Strukker IPA
------------------
22.00 pounds of grain
12.50 gallons of water total
14.50 gallons total volume [the kettle is 15.50 gallons so it'll all fit with room to spare]
10.50 pre boil volume
10.25 post wort boil [1 hour boil]
10.00 gallons into the fermentors

In qBrew I dialed back the setting for mash efficiency from 75% to 60% as suggested by the manufacturer of the system, they say BIAB won't match the efficiency of the single infusion mash fly sparging process I'm used to. On this one I'll have to wait and see. I'm also getting my grains from a new LHBS that's only 5 minutes away, it'll be the first time they'll be crushing my grains for me.

Size 10.00 gallons: Style: American IPA
Estimated IBU=54, SRM=4, OG=1.049, FG=1.012, ABV= 4.7%

-- Grain Bill --
01.00 pound CaraPils (Briess)
21.00 pounds 2 Row (US)
-----------
22.00 pounds total grain bill

I'd appreciate it if some eBIAB brewer's can go over this post and share your thoughts on my approach.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Beer-lord

Re: First Time eBIAB Process

Post by Beer-lord »

I BIAB but with gas so I can't really help.
Nice BIAB calc.....I use this one and they're pretty close. http://www.copycalc.com/bob/BIAB%20Fixed%20Boil%20Off
Vince, you have a fine system there and it's great that you're doing a beer you've done a few times so that you can see how the new system does with it.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Not at home right now, hanging with the naked cat breeder today, so no access to my notes.

But boil off needs to be changed to at least 1.25 gallons, not .25. That will change things.

I have done a few 11 gallon batches in my 16 gallon pot and it will not fit. I hold back 2-3 gallons of water and just pour through the bag as it hangs over the pot after the mash. There are so many ways to work ones own system and you will find what works best for yours.

Good to see you up and running again. :clink:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

His BIAB Calculator shows 1.25 boil off. That's pretty average for most calculators that I've seen.
What size pot do you have Vince?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:His BIAB Calculator shows 1.25 boil off. That's pretty average for most calculators that I've seen.
What size pot do you have Vince?
I have the 62 quart [15.5 gallon] kettle and as you've pointed out my boil off rate is set to 1.25 gallons per hour. I'm thinking there should be enough room for up to a 5% ABV beer.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

Just to be sure I’m thinking about this right, the calculators referenced above are for full volume mash, correct? No sparging as some are now doing with BIAB?
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Yes alb, that's correct. Full volume. If you don't have enough room, you can hold back the difference and do like Jeff does and pour the rest of the water (preferably as warm as 170) over the grains and squeeze a bit until you get the desired volume.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Sorry didn't check the BIAB Calculator. Looked at pre and post volumes he listed.

Alb, yep, full volume in the pot for a 5 gallon batch. I'll hold back some to sparge with on 11 gallon batches that the total volume with the mash won't fit the kettle.

Paul, my last two batches with a sparge was with tap temperature water. Hit all my numbers with the added benefit of having a cooler sack to squeeze, makes a huge difference.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Beerlabelman
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Beerlabelman »

That looks so cool Screwy! I've done about 20 or so BIAB's so far & I've found that 1.5 Qts per LB of grain works with my procedure.
I bring the first pot to 15 degrees above my target temp - flame off - then add grains & stir - set timer 30 min -After the first 30 min, I check temp, stir & reheat if necessary - set timer 30 minutes & do this 3 times for 90 minutes total. Plus, with about 15 min left heat a second pot with 3.5 to 4 gallons to about 168-170. Timer rings, I take out the grains & let them drain a little & squeeze a little, then put them in the 2nd pot mix, stir, set time for 15 minutes - Take em out drain & squeeze a little. Add 2nd pot to 1st pot & start to boil. Leave the bag in pot 2 as it will continue to drain & I add the remaining liquid to the boil. I've been hitting the projected OG's virtually every time. It's a fun easy way to make all grain beers. Cheers :cheers:
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Inkleg wrote:... with the added benefit of having a cooler sack to squeeze, makes a huge difference.
Thought that was what the kilt was for?... :whistle:

(no, he did not just go there... Yes he did...) :p

:lol:

:cool:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Doesn't that thing recirculate your mash? If so I would expect much more then 60% efficiency. I get 70% doing straight up BIAB with just a teabag sparge.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

According to the videos I've watched (I have no life) it does recirculate and I was wondering the exact same thing. I get mid 70's efficiency with just a little bit of squeezing. Many times, closer to 80%.
I bet he does much better than 60%.....that sucks!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Having never brewed on this type of system before I'll be learning a lot first hand the first few times I use it. Up until then for me it'll all still be theoretical based on what the manufacturer suggested and what other homebrewers' experiences have been posted. If I can get efficiencies in the 70-80's I will be an extremely happy camper.

Is anyone double crushing their grains in order to get the higher BIAB efficiencies?

Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've never double crushed but I do stir every 15 minutes very well and I do squeeze the bag a good bit.
I've never adjusted the gap on my Barley Crusher and it's done fine for me.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

BYO had a long article about BIAB in their March/April issue. The author, Derrick Hakim, stated:

“Some BIAB brewers compensate by adding more grains to the grain bill, having their grains double-crushed, mashing longer, performing a mashout to aid in efficiency, or a combination of these. Currently, I have my grains double-crushed, mash for 90 minutes, and perform a mashout for 10 minutes at 170F.”

As far as squeezing the bag, he squeezes but says it is completely up to the brewer to trial and gauge the results. (Isn’t everything??)

I don’t see a link available for that article, I guess you have to buy the online or hard copy (what I did).
Last edited by alb on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.