WLP007 yeast starter

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

WLP007 yeast starter

Post by Beer-lord »

I made a starter with 007 a few days ago and normally, it's got huge, cottage cheese like chunks in it but this time, nothing. It was milky but not at all like it normally is.
I'm going with it anyway and I'm likely OCD'ing again but with my latest bunch of flops, I need a good brew this weekend.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: WLP007 yeast starter

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Beer-lord wrote:I made a starter with 007 a few days ago and normally, it's got huge, cottage cheese like chunks in it but this time, nothing. It was milky but not at all like it normally is.
I'm going with it anyway and I'm likely OCD'ing again but with my latest bunch of flops, I need a good brew this weekend.
I've noticed the same thing with a few of my wlp007 starters too. I just keep an eye on the amount of krauzen that gets created once the starter's peaked, that's worked pretty well for me numerous times before. I cold crash and decant my starters before pitching them, this gives me a chance to estimate the cell count based on the thickness of the yeast cake.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I always forget how chunky this yeast is. Here's a quick look at the starter running now for my Levitation on Sunday.

Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

There's a few that do this for me as well but so far, nothing compared to 007. The one I posted about above came out ok without as many chunks.
I think I'll brew an 11 gallon batch of some pale ale next weekend and do half with 001 and half with either 007 or 002 and then use different dry hops on each just to make them different enough.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Many high floc English strains will do the egg drop soup thing. It is freaky the first time.