trub pitching question.

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

trub pitching question.

Post by Gymrat »

This is a few weeks down the road but I am curious. Let's say I do some kind of light ale on week one in my conical. Then a darker or more potent ale on week two and use one of my buckets. Let's say I want to drain some of the trub out of my conical and pitch it as yeast into my bucket. How would I go about that?
Beer-lord

Re: trub pitching question.

Post by Beer-lord »

I think that as long as you keep it in the fridge, it'll last a week. Otherwise, just use mrmalty.com and put it in the bottom of your fermentation bucket and rack the correct temperature wort right on top of it.
A few months ago with 05, I left about 3 tablespoons of yeast cake in the fermenter. I didn't use the same fermenter but just transferred that yeast to another one and racked on top of it.
And another time I kept the yeast in a mason jar for 6 days in the fridge (filled to the top) and used a bit more than 3 tablespoons and both took off well and came out fine.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Yankeedag
THE BEER NONG
THE BEER NONG

Post by Yankeedag »

a quick way to grab some used yeast from the LBK's or your conicals...

drain off your beer as you normally do.

Have a quart of sanitized water handy.

Pour the water in the fermenter...agitate.

after 15 min, drain most of the slurry off as you would do a bottle of beer.

what you just got was enough yeast for a few vials....or the ability to really kick start your next batch. But drain off the excess water before use.
The Nong Brewery defines "Fermentation" as: Making "Rot" a Good Thing

:borg: Welcome to the BeerBorg Information Center. You will be assimilated. Resistance is Quite Futile: WE have BEER.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Roger, I guess it depends where your drain is on the conical. If it's at the bottom I would drain off some trub/yeast just before pitching. Use a glass quart jar so you can see. I would think that dead yeast will be at the bottom and that you will see a color change when good yeast starts to come out. Stop draining a throw that away. With a new sanitized pint jar collect (heck I don't know, I'm winging it here) 1/2 pint of good yeast and pitch that into your chilled wort.
Like I said, don't know for sure, but if I had a nice shiny new conical that's what I'd try(insert conical envy here ;) )
Always make sure you have back up yeast and you may want to do a trial run first.
As always let us know.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940