High Gravity BIAB Electric Brewing System

Although you don't need a mash ton or other things to do BIAB, you still need the right sfuff to brew it right!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: High Gravity BIAB Electric Brewing System

Post by RickBeer »

Louie, we should have a thread for brewers we hate, you know the ones that have such vastly superior brewing rigs that we're so jealous of them that we hate them. I can start the list.

I hate Vince.

I hate Gymrat.

I think I hate Inkleg but that may be for many reasons...

There are others, you know who you are. :lol:

I hate this guy too... Image Mostly because he brews in flip-flops, that's really worth hating.

Nice rig Vince. I'm jealous.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Haha - not it!

The pulley system is nice. When I do 5G BIAB batches I end up with a ladder and a dowel across two rungs to hold my basket. Yeah, the ladder has to be clean as does everything else to avoid any issues but it works for me.
Not nearly as shiny as your set up for sure. One day I'll have a garage to brew in and I'll upgrade, but until then I "do it with a stick"!
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Yesterday was the second time I brewed on the system and it was a lot less stressful than the first time. I knew going in how much strike water to have in the kettle before adding in all the grains and I'd already used the counter flow chiller and grain hoist before. I continue to learn new things about using the system too while stirring the mash I stopped the Chugger pump but it wouldn't start again once I was done. It eventually started pumping after about five minutes, I think it has an internal temperature shutoff that prevents it from running if it gets too hot.

Another thing I noticed is the exhaust hood started to build up condensation during the boil about ten minutes in drops of water dripped into the kettle. I removed the carbon filter screens but had to swing the hood over so that the fan housing wasn't directly over the kettle. Good thing the hood is wide enough so that even with it off center the hood was still able to exhaust the boil vapors outside. Yesterday was the first time I brewed inside while it was cold and rainy all day so the condensation problem may not be as bad on a drier day but I do have a work around.

I'm getting better at using the rheostat properly, it's used to control how quickly the electric heating element heats up, and keeping it too high tends to let the wort overshoot the digital set point temperature by a few degrees. I keep it cranked up initially to heat the wort faster but have to remember to dial it back once it get close to the mash temperature I want.
hzydyz-1sml.jpg
hzydyz-1sml.jpg (92.85 KiB) Viewed 3882 times
I also recirculated the boiling wort through the counter flow chiller to sanitize it while whirlpooling the wort back into the kettle for ten minutes , that's something I've never done before either. As for cleaning in place its becoming more familiar with me now its pretty cool being able to clean out the kettle, pump, counter flow chiller and all of the lines at the same time. Two brew days and twenty gallons of beer still in the fermentors it's time to do an inventory of how many bottles I have on hand.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

That looks great Screwy! Sweet setup, and good to hear that you are getting a new routine down. Well Done!

:banana:
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Boy, just looking at how everything is mounted makes it look like a much easier brew day rather than having to lug eveyrthing out of the closet at the beginning of the day and then cleaning everything onesie-twosie at the end. Where is the "I am jealous" emoticon....
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

I came across this thread and realized I haven't posted an update in a long time so here's the most recent picture I have of my brew room build. I took it this morning over coffee. Yesterday I had an early start at 7:00AM and had finished brewing a batch of IPA, did a little maintenance on my Chugger pump and had everything cleaned up by 3:00PM.
brew-room-sml.jpg
brew-room-sml.jpg (134.27 KiB) Viewed 3599 times
I've added a wall mount for a small TV and connected it using Google Chromecast so I have some distractions while mashing in. I've also added a small chest freezer that I really like using for maintaining fermentation temperatures. Other improvements I've made include expanding my refrigerator's Co2 lines so I can now carbonate 3 kegs at the same time and easily connect a Blichmann BeerGun™ when needed. The garage is insulated and last fall I installed a 220 volt electric heater that generates plenty of heat for comfortable brewing during the Northeast winters.

It's been a little over a year since I began converting one side of our garage into a dedicated brewing area and the conversion is finally done, for now. I couldn't be more pleased with the brewing efficiencies and consistency I've been getting from the High Gravity brewing system now that I've gotten everything dialed in.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Love it Vince, LOVE IT!
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Sweetness personified! I'll never have a set up like that unless I make it to heaven.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Wow Vince, just WOW!

:cool:
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Nice system Screwy,!
Since I moved last October I haven't been able to brew. The electrical system at the new house doesn't aford me the ability to use my electric brew house.
I've been kicking around the idea of going BIAB with a gas burner since I have a smaller brewing foot print now.
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Been on Home Brew Talk the last 2-3 days checking out sources for High Gravity 120V BIAB system. It seems that there is one guy there that is really down on High Gravity. He claims that the EBC is a hunk of junk and that the whole system is way over priced. I know that I haven't checked all the systems out their but I feel for what I want High Gravity fits the bill. Yes some could say its is pricey but its close by and I won't pay shipping. Now for the EBC he states he has no first hand knowledge of it only what he's read and showed one source. He did make the statement that he builds his own and I'm wondering if he's trying to drum up business for himself. He tried to get Screwy into a debate but Screwy just flat out told its what he wanted and it worked for him well.
All I'm saying is if you have no personal knowledge of what your talking about get it first then go from there.