High Gravity BIAB Electric Brewing System

Although you don't need a mash ton or other things to do BIAB, you still need the right sfuff to brew it right!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

russki
Russki
Russki

Re: High Gravity BIAB Electric Brewing System

Post by russki »

Enjoy your new toy! Once you go electric, there's no going back to gas...
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

mashani wrote:That is pretty cool. Seems to do what Braumeister does but less spendy. Less pretty... but less spendy.
Thank you. Yes the Braumeister is prettier and for me a lot more money. Braumeister uses a bottom up approach for recirculating the mash, where the High Gravity uses a sprinkler in the lid and the pump outlet on the bottom for recirculation. The High Gravity system users separate standard off the shelf components where the Braumeister is imported and all the components are integrated into a compact unit. Aside from the cost, I think that servicing the Braumeister would be a challenge if something breaks.
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

What a system! I live about 10 miles from High Gravity store and if I ever get past the stage of newbie I'll keep this system in mind. Enjoy your new toy and brew on. :urock:
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Can't wait to see pics of that thing set up and brewing!
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Well I did get to unpack the new gear and I took a few pictures of all the parts last night. So far I was able to attach the kettle's 4500 watt heating element and put a few gallons of water in the kettle to leak test it over night. I was happy to see there were no signs of leaks this morning, everything looks dry as a bone outside the kettle. The unit came with a bunch of stainless steel couplings that need to be screwed onto plastic quick disconnect fittings used to attach the silicon lines to the pump, kettle valve and the wort nozzle in the lid.
higrav-4sml.jpg
higrav-4sml.jpg (123.17 KiB) Viewed 3107 times
The EBC - SV digital controller has been preset already so the only programming needed will be to setup my mash temperatures and times. Once I get used to brewing with this setup I'm going to want to try a stepped mash or two, but for now a single mash temperature will be what I plan to use. The stainless steel chugger pump head will need to be reoriented by simply removing the four screws, rotating the stainless steel head until the outlet end is pointing upward and then tightening the head down with the same screws again. ** ONLY MOVE THE STAINLESS PUMP HEAD ** (If you loosen the plastic magnet housing you'll have to realign it exactly again to avoid binding the motor)
higrav-3sml.jpg
higrav-3sml.jpg (105.61 KiB) Viewed 3107 times
Today after work I'll start assembling all of the fittings and attaching them to the silicon tubing with the hose clamps they sent. I also have a new roll of teflon tape that I plan to use on all of the connections too, just to be sure I won't run into any leaks when I finally get to fire this thing up using water only for the it's first test run.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

That thing is sweet Vince! Bet there's a huge smile on your face. Happy brewing. :clink:
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
braukasper
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by braukasper »

SWEET!!!!! Let me know what you think of the controller
Lebe das Leben. Um in vollen Zügen. Trinken zu Hause brauen!
Live life. To the fullest. Drink home brew!!
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Awesome Vince!

Happy Brewing!

:cool:
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Those plastic disconnects look like the parts for battery watering systems for industrial forklift batteries.
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Hey Screwy. Glad you finally got your new rig.

I saw your comment about a mount for getting the grain bag out. I guess it's going to be pretty heavy for most of you batches.

This is a FWIW post: before BB2 was in a wheelchair (and thus a ramp van) he used a motorized 3 wheeled scooter to get around.

For that we a lift mounted in the back of our Ford Explorer. It was an arm that would swing out of the back and I lowered a strap the hooked onto the scooter and then I could raise it up and swing the scooter into the rear compartment and lower it.

This was powered of course so pushing a button did the heavy lifting for me.

I just thought something like that might work for your new brewhaus so you could lift the grain out using an arm and then swing it out of your way and lower into a bucket or what ever.

Can't wait 'till your brewing again.

:cheers: :cheers:
Sibling Brewers
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Brewbirds wrote:Hey Screwy. Glad you finally got your new rig.

I saw your comment about a mount for getting the grain bag out. I guess it's going to be pretty heavy for most of you batches.

This is a FWIW post: before BB2 was in a wheelchair (and thus a ramp van) he used a motorized 3 wheeled scooter to get around.

For that we a lift mounted in the back of our Ford Explorer. It was an arm that would swing out of the back and I lowered a strap the hooked onto the scooter and then I could raise it up and swing the scooter into the rear compartment and lower it.

This was powered of course so pushing a button did the heavy lifting for me.

I just thought something like that might work for your new brewhaus so you could lift the grain out using an arm and then swing it out of your way and lower into a bucket or what ever.

Can't wait 'till your brewing again.

:cheers: :cheers:
Wow, what a great idea! I'm liking the whole swing arm approach it sounds stable and safe for lifting and holding those sixty pounds of hot grains. Thanks for posting. I was able to run the six inch vent through the garage wall yesterday and things are coming together nicely now, I hope to be posting brewday pictures in a few more weeks.

ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

After a lot of research I ended up installing a TV swivel wall mount and attaching the exhaust hood to it so I can swing the hood out of the way when it's time to lift the grains out of the kettle. A short length of 6 inch flexible duct connects the hood to the through the wall vent allowing the hood to swing about two feet when needed.
build-2sml.jpg
build-2sml.jpg (49.65 KiB) Viewed 3052 times

Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Screwy I just love your pictures of SN's Pale Ale. :p
Sibling Brewers
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Something I just noticed, haven't done any research so it might not matter, but it make sense in my mind.

With the pot sitting on the metal table, it's going to act as a heat sink and draw heat from the pot. With you recirculating it might not matter with your system as you will be adding heat back to the mash anyway.
I have a piece of rigid foam insulation under mine. Home Depot has 2x2 squares already cut, wood would work also. I've seen where others put a cork pad under theirs, but I spill stuff and the insulation cleans right up.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison