15 minute "dubbel"

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

15 minute "dubbel"

Post by mashani »

This is either another brilliant idea or a stupid idea. Time will tell. Dubbels should usually not have much if any noticeable hop flavor. But I'm using El Dorado. It's flavor is like stone fruit and cherries and it has candy aromas. Those things belong in a dubbel and normally come from decoction mashes, candi syrup, sugars, yeast, etc. So it might just blend right in and work fine from these hops too, even though it's evil in theory. And I only had to use a small amount of hops, because of how potent these things are, so it's not "that much" flavor... and I only had an hour to brew. So there ya go.

2.3 Gallon Batch.

2oz Maltodextrin (no time to steep carafoam).
1# Munich LME (50/50 Munich/Pale Malt)
2.5# Pilsner LME (MoreBeer)

0.5# D-180L candi syrup (to be fed later)

0.5oz El Dorado @15

Wyeast 3787 pitched @68, will let it rise to 78 or even 80 if it wants to, then finish in the lower 70s.

OG 1.056, will be 1.064 equivalent when I feed the candi syrup in 3-4 days. Somewhere around 22-24 IBUs. Around 19 or 20 SRM which is a bit to dark for BJCP style, but plenty of real dubbels are that dark, BJCP sucks when it comes to Belgians.

Dubbel or not it's going to taste good I believe. This is a pretty typical dubbel for me except for the hop timing. Usually I would do a PM with the Munich and Carafoam, but had no time for that today, so I "cheated".
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: 15 minute "dubbel"

Post by mashani »

I bottled this and it tasted great. I wish I had kegs, I could drink it now if it could carb fast.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Don't mind me as I pass through bookmarking all Mashani's quickie recipes for when I can get the brew gear unpacked (near future one hopes).

God love you Mash you are a saint.

Back too catching up now.

:cheers: :cheers:
Sibling Brewers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I'm going to probably pop one of these open next week sometime, so I'll let you know what I think.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

This beer tastes nice. You can tell that it has more late hops of an aggressive variety then there should be, but it's for the most part all appropriate flavors. Would be better with a bit more Munich and another 4oz of D-180L or some D-90L thrown into the mix, but this was brewed with what was on hand and I'm happy that I did it. The hop flavor that is out of place will likely mellow with age. 3 weeks is pretty early to be busting open a beer like this, late hops or not. I'll be happy to do this again with slight tinkering if I'm pinched on time.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Consuming second bottle. Still too hoppy for a dubbel, but tastes great, just would not win style points as a dubbel. The "jolly rancher" of the el-dorado is less noticeable as such with the more malty grain bill here then it is in that patersbier/blonde ale. Mostly cherry and some orange/tangerine is what I get here from the hops with some and plum/raisin from the yeast/candi sugar.

Belgian lace up the glass. Good candy syrup and the carapils in the pils extract does that even though this is an all extract beer - and I'm sure the hop oils are in play here too. But it's not egg whites like the patersbier/blonde, it's more "normal".

I still think I will use more Munich when I do this again, that would help counter the hops a bit.