Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

Post by Beer-lord »

In my opinion, one of the best examples of East Coast IPA's is the 90 Minute version and I feel the 120 minute just isn't as good. But, RedBEERd was able to grab some 60 Minute bottles and that'll just have to do.
It's been a long while since I've had one of these but it's very, very enjoyable. This one had only a small head though it stayed thru until the end. Perfectly carbed, this tastes like it has much more than 60 IBU's but the balance between the malt and hops is exceedingly perfect.
There's less aroma than I remember but whats there is semi-sweet and caramelly. The taste is complex layer of flavors and it finishes almost creamy. I give this a A+. My heart is in West Coast IPA's but the 60 and 90 Minute versions are 2 of the best of them all.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

Post by mashani »

I actually like the 60 minute the best, as it's hoppy enough to make me happy, and low enough in alcohol that I can drink more then one :)

I don't actually have a preference of west coast vs. east coast IPAs. I like both equally, it just depends on my mood. I tend to brew more east coast style just because I like to brew lower abv so I amp up the malt a bit so I can bitter aggressively and still seem more balanced.
RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by RedBEERd »

My daughter scored me a 4 pk of the 90 min yesterday in Houston so I hope to be able to try that one (after a LONG time since the last one) sometime in the next few weeks when I can get it from her.

She also told me she saw a Dogfish 61 but I don't know what that is and haven't yet googled to find out what it is. I do know that in a Florida pub last year where they had the 60 and 90 on tap :):):) they sold a half and half version in a pint called 69.......what can be wrong with that? :jumpy:
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

From their website:

The name Sixty-One is a reminder that this beer is Dogfish Head’s best-selling 60 Minute IPA plus one new ingredient: syrah grape must from California.

Personally, I like the 60 for drinking and the 120 for sipping. Not a fan of the 90 so much, and have not tried the 61.

:cool:
RedBEERd
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by RedBEERd »

Wow, so it's the same beer plus grape? Almost sounds like a beer/wine mix. I'd try it but I can't get any here so, next time I guess.
Thx for the info.
bucknut
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by bucknut »

Been awhile since I've had the 90min, so I might have to pick some up. The 60min is a solid ipa and has a great balance of malt/hops. Anyone try the 75min? I think it's one of the best beers that DH does, here's the commercial description of it......

Blend two Dogfish Head favorites, add maple syrup and carbonate the mixture naturally. What do you get? 75 Minute IPA.
The carbon dioxide trapped during bottle conditioning gives 75 Minute IPA a soft and velvety mouthfeel. Dry-hopped with whole-leaf Cascades, this complex IPA has been known to inspire pilgrimages to our brewpub.
Now we're sharing this animated blend of 60 Minute and 90 Minute with the rest of our fans, 750 milliliters at a time.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've never even seen the 75 Minute anywhere nor do I recall knowing it existed. Maybe I knew and just forgot but now they have a 60, 75, 90 and 120? I think it's time to get a new clock.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

60 minute is good fresh, solid hoppy ipa.
61 minute is very interesting, very vinous, good to try at least once.
75 minute is my favorite, has a maple quality to it.
90 minute is a bit on the sweeter side with a lot of warmth from the alcohol.
120 minute is basically a barleywine with aggressive hopping, but the huge abv and grain bill overpower the hops.
If you mix 120 with World Wide Stout it creates an amazing half and half called heaven and hell. It's truly outstanding and the only reason I buy 120 now is with the intention of mixing it.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Those are great, simple reviews thanks.

I've only tried the 90-minute and I got the warm alcohol from it along with a rich malty sweetness and really disliked it. I assumed all of there beers were that way.
I also never realized that the 60 referred to the IBUs. I knew it was a continual 60-minute hopping that they did I just never realized it was also the IBU rating.