Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Beers

Provide a review, whether it's from another Borg member or a commercial beer that you really like, this is the place to share! Cheers!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Beers

Post by Kealia »

How has nobody picked up a 12-pack of this yet and reviewed it? It's 12 different beers all brewed in collaboration with different breweries (3 Floyds, Firestone, Russian River, Bells and more). Read more about them here.

I haven't picked one up because there are too many styles that I don't like and I don't have drinking friends that would drink them either (*cough* Double Latter Coffee Milk Stout *cough*) BUT a buddy of mine scored two bottles of the Double IPA that SN used as "invitations" to the Beer Camp parties:

Hated it. Whatever hops they used in this did not agree with me. It smelled almost skunky and tasted the same way. It wasn't a bad bottle, though. My buddy already drank one and said they tasted the same - which he liked. I couldn't take more than two sips before handing him my glass to finish.

I'm unable to find out what they used other than "5 hop varieties with two dry hopped" but whatever the combo I hope I never come across it again :unsure:

But, there are some beers in the 12-pack that look good and I'd love to know if others have tried them.
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Beers

Post by jivex5k »

My buddy still has my 12 pack, plan on reviewing each one. That's a shame it wasn't up your alley.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Normally if I don't like an IPA or IIPA it just doesn't jive with me, but this just tasted bad to me.

I'm looking forward to your reviews since there are a few beers in there that do interest me. Maybe I'll just pick up the pack and use the others for chili or something...hmm.....
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

That's not going to be available here and I assume they were fresh but some hops just don't jive (apologies jivex5k) with some tastes. So far Summit has not been to favorable to me but I'm trying to find other hops it jives (?) with.
I'm waiting to see if my Mosaic IPA is ok with my tasty buds.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

That's too bad Paul. There are some great collaborations in there. The more I think about it, the more I am talking myself into buying a pack.

I like Mosiac. IIRC, they are 'bright' and 'floral'. I think you'll like - but I don't think they are dank.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I've got a bit more than 5 gallons in the fermenter so I WILL LIKE IT! Prolly won't be outstanding but as long as it's drinkable, I can survive.
Now I'm wondering if it will be here because we do get lots of SN beers but I'm not sure if the collaboration stuff is something that comes this way. Now that they've got a place on the East Coast, things should be all good here soon.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

The ones that really interest me are:
Belgian Pale Ale with Allagash
Hoppy Pilsner with Firestone (although I'm not a huge Pilsner fan, I love FW's stuff)
Belgian Blonde with Russian River
IPL with Ballast Point
Pale Ale with 3 Floyds
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

Yeah the brewery list...every one listed is a great brewery.
Cigar City - Easily my favorite brewery. Zhukov, Jai Alai, Tocobaga
Russian River - The masters that make Pliny and Beatification
New Glarus - Makers of Raspberry Tart and Wisconsin Red
Victory - Storm King and Dirtwolf
Ballast Point - Sculpin
Firestone - Parabola
3 Floyds - Zombie Dust
Allagash - Heard of them but never had a beer from them, good reputation.
Ninkasi - never heard of em
Asheville Brewers - No idea, but my friend went to asheville recently, I think this is a mix of breweries like Wicked Weed and other local NC ones
Bell's - Two Hearted, Black Note, Expedition
Oskar Blues - G'Knight and Ten Fidy

All the beers I've listed I've personally tasted and they are all fantastic. I find myself following breweries more than anything these days as a guide to quality, so while I may not have had a beer from every single one there are enough that I have had, and considered top tier quality to warrant a purchase.
Hell, it's only 25 bucks, even if I end up hating every beer in the pack it will be fun to see what each brewery brings to the table.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I want to try the IPL. Gonna look for this stuff but I have more beer than I can drink. Anyone going to be in my area this weekend to help me clear up some stock?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

I just picked up this sampler today.

I'm drinking the Altbier (Alt Route) right now. Not bad.

Nothing looked terrible to me in the descriptions.

Two of the beers are in 12oz cans. The Rye Bock (CANfusion) and the Tropical (???) Maibock (Yonder Bock).
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I haven't seen it, but I'll look.
BeerLord, I think you'll like your Mosaic IPA. I tried Blue Point's Mosaic Session IPA. I loved the hops, though I didn't care for it any more than most session IPAs. It did make me want to use Mosaic. I just have to finish a lot of other hops first.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

Got it, here are my notes so far:
Ballast Point Electric Ray - Awesome IPA, super fruit, juicy, hoppy, and just enough bitterness.
3 Floyds Chico King - Hoppy and clean, sessionable.
Ninkasi Double Latte - Favorite so far, freaking coffee bomb. Realllllllly good.
New Glarus There and Back - Good ESB. Extremely crisp, great summer beer.

I'll post about more when I taste them. Really looking forward to the Maibock from CCB, they are my all time favorite brewery.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Clearly the beer gods want me to taste these beers. Here is what a new, local beer shop posted today:

"This Wed can't get here soon enough! Sierra Nevada Beer Camp & Collaborative Brewers Tap Takeover from 5 til close! Plenty of 24 pks are available & great raffle prizes! Big Cheers from Chico!!"

Quickly followed by:
"Aptos St. BBQ is coming to Soquel! For Beer Camp, that is...
Pre-order from their menu starting today http://aptosstbbq.com/bbq.html and they will deliver to the beer garden tomorrow during the event. Delivery times are 5:30, 6:30 & 7:30. Reserve your BBQ! (831) 662-1721 Tell 'em Beer Thirty sent you!"
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by The_Professor »

The Maillard's Odyssey Imperial Dark Ale is really good.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

:lies:

It has "dark" right in the name, man!