Zombie Lust IPA...

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Zombie Lust IPA...

Post by MadBrewer »

This is mashing as I type. Gonna be a big, bold, hoppy Pale Ale/IPA in likes of Zombie Dust by 3Floyds Brewing here in NW Indiana. Brewing this up for a buddy to have in his kegerator...this stuff is hard to get. Doing this one BIAB for the most part with a sparge since it's a bigger beer and large grain bill.

Zombie Lust
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 6.5
Total Grain (lb): 14.250
Total Hops (oz): 9.75
Original Gravity (OG): 1.065 (°P): 15.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.39 %
Colour (SRM): 5.7 (EBC): 11.2
Bitterness (IBU): 69.5 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
12.000 lb American 2-Row (84.21%)
1.250 lb Munich I (8.77%)
0.750 lb Caravienna (5.26%)
0.250 lb Wheat Malt (1.75%)

Hop Bill
----------------
0.75 oz Columbus Pellet (15% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes 28 IBU
2.00 oz Citra Pellet (12% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes 29.5 IBU
2.00 oz Citra Pellet (12% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes 12 IBU
2.00 oz Citra Pellet (12% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
3.00 oz Citra Pellet (12% Alpha) @ 5 Days

Single step Infusion at 150°F for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 66-68°F with Safale US-05

Recipe Generated with BrewMate.
Brew Strong My Friends...
Beer-lord

Re: Zombie Lust IPA...

Post by Beer-lord »

If you just look at the hop quantities, you'd think it would be more than 69 IBU's but when you see the hop times, it makes sense. The aroma on this is going to be out of this world. And Munich and Caravienna? Yummy!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

Maybe you should try the 1968 ESB yeast that 3 Floyds uses? I just did a BIAB ZD clone, splitting the batches, and did not like the one at all using US-5. The taste seemed to vary from glass to glass. With the 1968 yeast, it's absolutely amazing, but didn't attenuate as much as I would have liked.

edit- Sorry it was Nottinham yeast. It will probably be good with US-5 then!
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

losman, I have heard that they use Wyeast 1968. I did use it on a Gumball clone recipe and I actually had reversed results, I like the one with 05 better than the 1968. Of course that will vary on a couple factors such as recipe, mash temp...etc. I think if I was to use the the 1968 again with something like this I would have to mash very low or end up with something a bit to big in the end. I seen you edited your post to indicate it was Notty and not 05, just throwing it out there though.

How was your ZD clone? Mind posting the recipe you used to compare? This is the 3rd time I'm brewing this. The first time I got really close...it was a smaller 3 gal test batch. The 2nd time I brewed it I doubled the batch, and well, it was good but not as good and needed more hops believe it or not so lets see how this 3rd attempt comes out with a little bump in the hops from the 60 min addition down to the dry hop. I also lowered the mash temp from 152 to 150 now to get it to attenuate a little more for a lower FG to make it more drinkable and not as heavy for a 6.5% abv 70 IBU beer. You know, just crisp it up a little more to get the hops to "pop".
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

MadBrewer wrote:losman, I have heard that they use Wyeast 1968. I did use it on a Gumball clone recipe and I actually had reversed results, I like the one with 05 better than the 1968. Of course that will vary on a couple factors such as recipe, mash temp...etc. I think if I was to use the the 1968 again with something like this I would have to mash very low or end up with something a bit to big in the end. I seen you edited your post to indicate it was Notty and not 05, just throwing it out there though.

How was your ZD clone? Mind posting the recipe you used to compare? This is the 3rd time I'm brewing this. The first time I got really close...it was a smaller 3 gal test batch. The 2nd time I brewed it I doubled the batch, and well, it was good but not as good and needed more hops believe it or not so lets see how this 3rd attempt comes out with a little bump in the hops from the 60 min addition down to the dry hop. I also lowered the mash temp from 152 to 150 now to get it to attenuate a little more for a lower FG to make it more drinkable and not as heavy for a 6.5% abv 70 IBU beer. You know, just crisp it up a little more to get the hops to "pop".
The ZD clone is good, but I don't have anything to compare it to as we cannot get 3 Floyds where I live. I did have a chance to taste a ZD that an owner of local bar gave to me. It was old, and found it to be much drier than any of my clones. I'm guessing that the real ZD is a good 4-6 pts lower. Next time around I'm going to mash lower. Also I have tried to do Gumballhead twice unsuccessfully. I had some off flavors, and am not sure why.

Anyways, here's the latest ZD that I did. Prior to this, I was getting really bad efficiency prior to this and put it at 53%. Well, on this batch, I over shot my pre- boil gravity, and had to add water. I ended up doing 5.5 gal with the 1968 yeast, and 2 gal with the notty yeast. The notty yeast sucked. It did not taste good what so ever with this batch. I will probably never use this yeast ever again. I really intended to use the s-04 yeast, but decided to go with the notty yeast for the hell of it. I'm also guessing that my temps were in the mid 150's instead of 152 which explains the low attenuation factor. Anyways, IMO it's still a great homebrew, but next time I will mash a little lower to attenuate it further.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Zombie Dust_7.5 Gal biab
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 10.27 gal
Post Boil Volume: 8.85 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 7.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 7.05 gal
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 61.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 53.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 60.1 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
22 lbs 12.9 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 86.9 %
1 lbs 4.9 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.0 %
15.6 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.7 %
9.2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.2 %
9.2 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.2 %
0.85 oz Citra [12.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 6 23.7 IBUs
1.42 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 17.8 IBUs
1.42 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 13.0 IBUs
1.42 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 7.2 IBUs
1.70 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124. Yeast 11 -
4.09 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 12 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 26 lbs 3.8 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 48.77 qt of water at 161.4 F 152.1 F 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

Also, If you like ZD, you should try doing Kern River's Citra Double IPA. I did it twice, and like it better than the ZD homebrews. Maybe it's because they use Nugget and Amarillo hops, but mainly Citra. I have only done the extract version, but am gonna do a BIAB in the next couple of months. When I did the Kern River one, it only attenuated down to 1.016, but the all-grain versions were going down to 1.010.

Other than that, I have got a BIAB galaxy/ Citra/ Amarillo recipe going. I'm not sure how it's gonna turn out yet, because i'm using some new yeast (Danstar West-Coast). It has a pretty massive dry hop schedule similar to the Kern River one.. these Galaxy hops seem awesome though.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Queue the West Coast envy here. These all sound like great beers.

I have had the Kern River Citra though since that one is just "down there" from us Northerners. If the others are on par with that they should be great.
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

Kealia wrote:Queue the West Coast envy here. These all sound like great beers.

I have had the Kern River Citra though since that one is just "down there" from us Northerners. If the others are on par with that they should be great.
I wish I could get my hands on a Kern River Citra. I guess Quality Liquor carries every now and then, but it seems to be a seasonal thing. Have you had Heady Topper from VT? I get that from time to time, and would be willing to trade, next time I find some.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I've not tried Heady Topper but have heard lots about it, too.

I'll look around and see if I can easily get the Kern River and let you know.
losman26
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by losman26 »

Kealia wrote:I've not tried Heady Topper but have heard lots about it, too.

I'll look around and see if I can easily get the Kern River and let you know.
Sounds good, I used to buy Heady Topper on ebay all the time until the internet nazis prohibited the sale of beer there. I might make a trip to Vermont sometime and buy a case of this stuff. It is that good.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I think I'll start the dry hop today. The beer has cleared and reached FG. I can dry hop today and keg it up at the end of the week or over next weekend. I never dry hopped with this much hops so I think I'm going to break it up into 2-3 different hop sacs and weigh them down. I don't go commando with dry hops, just never did and I don't think I would want to with 3 oz anyway.