Normal Patersbier

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Normal Patersbier

Post by mashani »

For 2.3 gallon target (need headspace)

Full volume boil of:

4oz Carafoam steeped
3# Pilsner LME (MoreBeer)
1oz Styrian Goldings @60
1/4oz Styrian Goldings @10

Pitch Wyeast 3787. Fresh enough smack pack to not need a starter.

OG 1.048
IBU 28
SRM 4 or 5

Use Saaz instead of Styrians for a nice alternative. Or any German noble hop. I just like styrians.
Gman20
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Normal Patersbier

Post by Gman20 »

sounds good!!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

These beers are excellent summer thirst quenchers. The recipe is super simple, but the flavors produced are very complex - because of the yeast. There is nothing to get in the way of all the flavors the yeast makes.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

So what makes this a PatersBier rather than a Blonde Ale? Is it just the yeast? Looks like what I made with us-05 almost. Just curious.

Monty

Edit: Ever tried this with s-33? I'm a dry yeast guy.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Many Trappist Table Beers are called Blond, but are really not representative of the style and by design are typically in the 3.5-5% ABV range. They would typically be pulled from the second runnings of a stronger beer and were generally brewed for consumption by the monks and not offered to the public. Served with their meals, they are called table beers or Patersbier. Essentially a frual way to get their own beer while still keeping to the brewery's production schedule and budget.

A Belgian Blond (in France, Blonde) would be stronger, typically 6-7.5% ABV, a bit sweeter on the palate, medium dry to dry, often a bit creamy.

Sometime a little wheat is used, with the bulk being Pils which contributes some of the backbone sweetness. (An ounce of honey malt would not be out of place, nor would an ounce or two of aromatic.)

The addition of some candi sugar can help bring out some of the candy-like sweetness as well, but this usually comes more from the Pils malt. Caramel and crystal malts are usually not used, although I like to add about four ounces of CaraFoam on a five gallon batch to aid in head retention.

The yeast, Trappist typically, contributes light esters and phenols that bring a perfumy, floral character which is often reinforced by the choice of a noble hop like Hallertau which would be consistent with the region.

It's a Belgian Strong Ale by definition so there would be some soft alcohol warmth apparent.

While S-33 would make a decent beer, this style is better served with a Trappist like Westmalle yeast.

I like it with Wyeast 3787, but T-58 would make a decent one if you normally use dry yeast.

Just my opinion, YMMV.

:cool:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

monsteroyd wrote:So what makes this a PatersBier rather than a Blonde Ale? Is it just the yeast? Looks like what I made with us-05 almost. Just curious.

Monty

Edit: Ever tried this with s-33? I'm a dry yeast guy.
Patersbier is simply low gravity "Belgian Monks table beer". Something the monks brew for themselves, and do not sell to the public. They sell stronger beers that they will not drink to the public. It's too low gravity to be a Belgian Blonde Ale by style, IE typically in the 1.04ish range, even in the 1.03ish range. I like them better in the 1.04s with just plain pilsner. EDIT: And BigPapaG gave good explanation above too.

What makes it what it is, is simply 2 words - Belgian Yeast.

You can't make this with dry yeast. 3787 or WLP530 is what makes it what it is. This will have a mix of pear/apple/citrus/plum/melon flavors and subtle spices that you simply will not get without using this kind of yeast. Belgian Ardennes yeast would probably yield a nice beer too, I've been meaning to try that one day. You can vary the ester mix and create a very complex beer by letting 3787 free rise in temp up to 78-80 even. It does not need strict temperature control, and benefits even from allowing the temperature to rise during fermentation. This beer started at 66, it is now 73-74ish, it will hit 78+ at some point, then it will finish I the lower 70s.

It doesn't work so well with Chimay strain (I've tried it). Chimay strain is better in bigger beers. Chimay is too much banana or spice (depending on temp), and no matter what not enough other fruit to make it really interesting without more malt behind it (in my opinion at least). Also if you do try it, note that Chimay requires temperature control in the low 70s... do not follow the above temperature ramp concept with it or you will get nasty banana/nailpolish beer.

It would not work with Bella Saison. You would end up with something totally different.

You could try it with T-58 but it will not be anywhere near as complex. It will probably still be good, but it will have more banana and cloves or peppery flavors (more like a like a less dry Bella Saison), and less of everything else. But that would be a better choice then S-33. S-33 would yield a very boring beer compared to what this will become.
Last edited by mashani on Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

Sounds awesome, and a very informative thread.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

BigPapaG wrote: The addition of some candi sugar can help bring out some of the candy-like sweetness as well, but this usually comes more from the Pils malt.
I've used 4oz-6oz of D-180L or D-90L per 2-2.5ish gallons in these to produce more of a dubble like patersbier with good results. Especially with 3787. Those were delicious beers. I tried that with Chimay strain thinking it might play better with the dark fruit and still wasn't as happy. I'm pretty much a Westmalle yeast guy when it comes to these kinds of beers, although I may try it with the Ardennes yeast one day. I'll likely brew another dark version like this in the late summer for fall consumption.

These are ready to drink quickly which is nice.
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Mash is right on as well Monty...

Spring for some Wyeast 3787 or WL-530...

For the $6-7 bucks you will not be disappointed.

And it may open up a whole new flavor profile for you!

<enters dreamstate here and envisions floating LBK's with varying recipes using a Trappist Liquid Yeast with names like 3787-1a, 3787-1b, 3787-2-orange peel, etc.>

;)
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Monty one other thing if it helps with the dry vs. liquid yeast issues - these beers are low enough in gravity that as long as you get a smack pack or vial within 2 months of manufacture you really don't need to make a starter. Mr. Malty might tell you at 2 months you need one, but 3787 is beastly and really even a 3 month old vial/pack that was stored right is going to ferment it out just fine. The extra growth phase time will just give you even more flavor, and it's not bad flavor.

And then if you want to brew a tripel - just toss it directly on that yeast cake once you bottle this beer. And watch the fireworks (you will get 5+" of krausen and it will blow up your fermenter if you are not careful, so plan tripel batch size accordingly.

That way you get 2 beers with one pack of yeast, which alleviates the cost difference.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

BigPapaG wrote:Mash is right on as well Monty...

Spring for some Wyeast 3787 or WL-530...

For the $6-7 bucks you will not be disappointed.

And it may open up a whole new flavor profile for you!

<enters dreamstate here and envisions floating LBK's with varying recipes using a Trappist Liquid Yeast with names like 3787-1a, 3787-1b, 3787-2-orange peel, etc.>

;)
That is funny! It might just mean that. LOL

Monty
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Brewed another batch of this, but with a slightly shorter boil of 1 1/4oz of Styrians @45, and Santium as the finishing hop. Santium is like Tettenanger / Hallertau but with a touch of orange like citrus. Otherwise the same.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Both of these are tasty. I think I like the styrian/santium one better. But I could drink either of them any day and be happy.