How much Hops a/o How To Use Hops

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: How much Hops a/o How To Use Hops

Post by Brewbirds »

Beer-lord wrote:I can't seem to leave good enough alone so if and when I'm able to get a good deal on 8 oz or a lb of hops, I grab them and then try to use them in test beers. Sometimes, I find it's not what I wanted.
Nugget is listed all over the place as a good bittering hop and the comment I kept reading was 'herbal, great for ales'. I tried it once so far and wasn't blown away like I expected. I guess what they describe as herbal, my friends and I describe as almost bubble gum. It's not at all bad but since I mixed them with other hops I likely got a contrast instead of a good twin to work with. When I use Nugget again, I'll definitely cut back on the amount used in bittering and maybe hit it with some at flame out. I don't think I'd like a SMaSH with all Nugget.
Some of my favorite beers use lots of Nugget such as our local Mechahopzilla and Green Flash Imperial IPA though I don't get any gum type flavors from them though I do get a slight herbal taste. I don't chew gum so maybe I don't know what to expect from these hops.
Thanks Beer-Lord have I told you that you are awesome lately? ;)
Sibling Brewers
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I've only had Nugget a few times (that I know of) and I think of it as earthy/herbal - almost like a noble hop. I don't get bubble gum from it but maybe I'm crazy or thinking of a different hop.
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

Brewbirds wrote:
Beer-lord wrote:I can't seem to leave good enough alone so if and when I'm able to get a good deal on 8 oz or a lb of hops, I grab them and then try to use them in test beers. Sometimes, I find it's not what I wanted.
Nugget is listed all over the place as a good bittering hop and the comment I kept reading was 'herbal, great for ales'. I tried it once so far and wasn't blown away like I expected. I guess what they describe as herbal, my friends and I describe as almost bubble gum. It's not at all bad but since I mixed them with other hops I likely got a contrast instead of a good twin to work with. When I use Nugget again, I'll definitely cut back on the amount used in bittering and maybe hit it with some at flame out. I don't think I'd like a SMaSH with all Nugget.
Some of my favorite beers use lots of Nugget such as our local Mechahopzilla and Green Flash Imperial IPA though I don't get any gum type flavors from them though I do get a slight herbal taste. I don't chew gum so maybe I don't know what to expect from these hops.
Thanks Beer-Lord have I told you that you are awesome lately? ;)
There is another way to buy hops?? SH!T!!! a couple of my IPA recipes use more than a pound!!!! And that is where they get good.
I love making Bud-lite drinkers cryImage
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013