Summit hops-onion flavors?????

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Summit hops-onion flavors?????

Post by Beer-lord »

A few months ago I bought some Nugget and Summit. I've used Nugget twice and it's ok but I get too much earthiness to it so I plan to use it in the future sparingly with lots of other hops.
I haven't used Summit yet and have 8 oz and I've read lots and lots and lots of posts from people who get an onion or even an garlic taste. Some say that it happens only if FWHing, others say just do bitter with it and keep it under 20 minutes and you're fine and still others love it and claim huge orange and tangerine flavors and aroma.

So, I'm going to try some (I think) in my first session beer but only mixing it in with other hops in dry hopping. Its a very high alpha and it's paid for so one way or another, it's gonna make it's way into some of my beers. :p

Who's used them----how much and when were they added and most important, what did you think of them?
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Dawg LB Steve
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Summit hops-onion flavors?????

Post by Dawg LB Steve »

Can't say I have even tasted them in a beer, but its my understanding that high alpha hops should be used for the bittering and lower alpha are more for aroma and flavor. Don't take that as bible though, I have just started finding out about taste of some different hops other than the more popular Noble, "C" hops, and Liberty.
:clink:
MONTUCKY BREWING
Currently brewing:

Next Up?
Kolsch?
Ginger Beer?
Traveling Red?
Yazoo Gerst Clone?
Peanut Butter Porter?

Currently Conditioning:
Cherry Mead
California Moscato

Currently enjoying:
Hardly Apple Cider on tap
Hardly Cherry Lime-Aid on tap
Oktoberfestive-Ale on tap
PGA Cider (Pear, Ginger, Apple) on tap 3rd Founders Cup 2016 King Of The Mountain on tap
Bottoms Up Brown on tap GOLD 2016 Ohio Brew Week Silver 2016 Ohio State Fair Silver 2016 Son of Brewzilla, Silver 2015 Son of Brewzilla, Bronze 2015 King Of The Mountain on tap
NITWIT BELGIAN STRONG ALE Banjo-Dawg RCE bottled
DAWG LB PALE ALE bottled
CITRA SLAPPED AMBER ALE bottle
MO FREEDOM SMaSH bottle
HOP TO IT IMPERIAL IPA bottle

Medal Count
Gold 3
Silver 5
Bronze 5
Actively brewing since December 2013
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Well, that's mostly true and I know what I need to do for each to give the beer what I think it needs but I'm interested in the perceived taste and flavor of Summit. I don't think I would enjoy an onion beer!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I've never used Summit, but although I'm not sure about onion beer, but I've had garlic beer at a garlic festival and liked it actually.

@Dawg:

I personally like to hop burst with high IBU hops along the lines of Simcoe to get both the flavor and the bitterness in a short boil. Beer I'm drinking now was done with 17% AA hops, none of which were a true "bittering" boil, all of it late, so it's bitter/flavor/aroma all in one. But I like dank and earthy beers too, not just citrusy ones, so YMMV there.
Rebel_B
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Rebel_B »

I've used Summit whole leaf hops in conjunction with other hops; never noted any off flavors from them.
Drinking: Columbus Double India Pale Ale
Bottled/Conditioning: Trippel
Fermenting: Columbus Double India Pale Ale, Trippel