Aztec with Smooth

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

tekn50

Aztec with Smooth

Post by tekn50 »

I brewed up a batch of Aztec with a packet of smooth and a packet of pale. I let it sit for about 7 weeks in the bottle, and then 3 days in fridge. It came out tasting like a Belgain type ale. Nice, smooth, with some fruity flavors in it. I was going for something closer to Negra Modelo, instead of Corona. So I tried this, and it is good. If you have a can of it, I sugest trying it.

Have a good day.
Dave
jpsherman
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Aztec with Smooth

Post by jpsherman »

What temps were you fermenting at? If you were in the 70'2 that would account for the fruittyness. Lower 60's would have gotten a cleaner flavor.
Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chambers of my brain.
Quaintest thoughts — queerest fancies,
Come to life and fade away:
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today.

– Edgar Allan Poe
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink--Oscar Wilde
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Giggle Squid Brewery
Fermenting:
Barleywine 2016

Conditioning:
Barleywine 8-27-2014 (only drinking on special occasions)

Drinking:
Apple Wine 2.0
Apple Wine 2.1
Jalapeno Ale
Dark Vanner
Dark and Hoppy Night
Liquid Gold
Mad Max
Dundee Ale
Magnum PA

tekn50

Post by tekn50 »

The temp was about 72 the whole time. I thought the MB yeast didnt well that low. I will give a lower temp a go on my next one. My basement temps are coming back up. Almost to 65 degrees now, which is about were it sits in the summer.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I brew all my beers in the low to mid 60s. Keep in mind that if it's 72, when the fermentation hits peak (which may be while you're sleeping) it could be closer to 78-80. That's too high.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Although I agree fermenting cooler is cleaner *when using a clean non phenolic yeast*, the Mr Beer/Cooper yeast is more of an English real ale yeast and it likes it 64-69 a lot more then it does 59-63. It is not like Nottingham or S-05, or even S-04... it seems to be selected to like it a bit warmer. Which makes sense to be provided with a beer kit for newbies who will ferment in a non-temp controlled closet the first time.

It throws off lots of acetaldehyde at low temps. Maybe some folks don't taste it, but I'm a super taster of it and it bugs the crap out of me. It takes months to condition out fully. Even if I pitch 2 or 3 packs of it in a 2.5 gallon batch it's still there when fermented at 62 or <.

The reason I say the * above is because when using a yeast that makes phenols, you are simply trading phenols for esters by changing the temperature, you are not making cleaner beer. IE do you want cloves or pepper or do you want banana or bubblegum? And in what proportion? That's what temps do for you with those types of yeasts. IE if you want banana in a wheat beer and you are using WB-06 then you want to let it get up above 75.

EDIT: But yes, all that said, 64 or 65 would be better then 72 as an ambient temp for a less fruity/clean beer. Just don't try the Mr. Beer yeast at 60. It sucks at 60.