PSA: Stress Cracks on Carboy Neck

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

PSA: Stress Cracks on Carboy Neck

Post by BigPapaG »

This is a Public Service Announcement for Brewers who use Glass Carboys

I know many brewers currently use (prefer?) plastic fermenters over glass, be it a bucket, or commercially available keg or conical style but I also know that many (including myself) use glass.

This topic comes up once in a while and today was my day to find stress cracks in the neck area of one of my 5g carboys as I was doing a final sanitization and inspection of same.

Stress cracks can result for a number of reasons including improper handling, rapid temperature swings as well as immediate physical stress and physical stress over time which is what I believe happened in my case.

I am fond of using carboy handles and I handle my carboys very carefully yet I am aware of the physical stress that can occur from using them. Note however that stress cracks can occur anywhere on the item. Also remember that these are nearly as fragile as incandescent light bulbs so in general, handle with extreme care.

So, as a practice, be carefull with your glass apparatus, inspect all purchases, new or used prior to accepting delivery and above all, continue to inspect at each use.

It is this last point that allowed me to identify a problem BEFORE a larger problem (mess, loss of beer, physical injury) occurred!

The picture below shows the cracking mentioned above. This Carboy will now be retired via our municiple recycling program. Lucky for me I have several more so I can proceed today!

This is the end of this Public Service Announcement.

:cool:
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: PSA: Stress Cracks on Carboy Neck

Post by Kealia »

Always a good reminder. I noticed the same thing in mine about a month ago and it went immediately into the recycle, too.

BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Yup, Ron, do use the carboy handles as well?

I can't decide if it's the physical stress from those, or thermal stress from the ice cold t-shirts I wrap them with as swamp coolers...

Or both...

:cool:
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I did use a carboy handle. I haven't replaced that fermenter yet but I'm looking at the Spiedel to do so when I get around to it.
For now, it's back to the non-perv friendly ale pale.