Mr Beer Blowout Gameplan

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Mr Beer Blowout Gameplan

Post by ssorck »

So I've decided to get cracking at blowing out the rest of my Mr. Beer stock. I came up with a rough gameplan last night and figured I'd throw it up here for some comments/criticism. All of the LME I'll be using will be from Williams Brewing, I'll be placing a large order with them shortly...

1) 1 Can Canadian Blonde & 1 Can American Light - 2.5 gallons Trippel, as per this thread, including the noted recipe adjustments: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2241

2) 1 Can 2013 Spiced Xmas Ale - Blowing out to a 5 gallon batch of something like 21st Ammendment Monks Blood hopefully. Going to use 6lbs Belgian Pale LME, Caramunich & Special B steep,d-90 Candi Syrup. Magnum & Amarillo hops. Will pich onto the yeastcake from the Trippel above. viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2852

3) 1 Can Bavarian Weissbier - Will make the Apricot Wheat recipe. May use a wheat yeast. https://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/pro ... at_Recipe1

4) 1 Can Canadian Blonde - Blowing out to a 4.5 Gallon batch of roughly the Beach Babe Blonde recipe. Will use 3.3 lbs American Light LME, steep a little crystal and add some centenial hops. https://www.mrbeer.com/product-exec/pro ... de_Recipe1

5) 1 Can White IPA - Blowing out to a 7 Gallon batch (in 2 buckets) of Saison using Belle Sasion. Will have an OG approx 1.048 or so. 3.3 lbs Belgian Pale LME, small CaraVienne steep, Saaz hops.

6) 1 Can White IPA - Blowing out to a 7 Gallon batch (in 2 buckets) of Mosaic Saison using Belle Sasion. Will have an OG approx 1.048 or so. 3.3 lbs Belgian Pale LME, small CaraVienne steep, Mosaic hops (I think) - want to use a fruitty hop. Was also thinking maybe Belma or Simcoe...or maybe Ace??

7) 1 Can Saison - Blowing out to a 7 Gallon batch (in 2 buckets) of Saison using Belle Sasion. Will have an OG approx 1.048 or so. 3.3 lbs Belgian Pale LME, small CaraVienne steep, Pacific Jade hops I'm thinking??

8) 1 Can NutBrown - Blowing out to 5 gallons. 3.3 lbs Nut Brown LME, small victory steep maybe, Fuggles hops.

9) 1 Can NutBrown - Blowing out to 5 gallons. 3.3 lbs Nut Brown LME, small victory steep maybe, Williamette hops.

10) 1 Can Xmas Spiced - will make this one straight up, but will likely change from T-58 yeast.

So thats basically my plan, which will likely take me straight into at least the fall before I finish everything. Once I bottle my current batches I probably will only have 1 case of bottles left, but I'll brew as bottles come available.

Any comments, criticism, suggestions are welcome!!!
Last edited by ssorck on Mon May 26, 2014 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Mr Beer Blowout Gameplan

Post by Bluejaye »

I don't really have any comments, other than I need to do the same thing. So this motivates me to think about what I'm going to do with the last of my HMEs "soon."

I guess my only comment would be about #3. The yeast that comes with the Bavarian Weissbier is a wheat yeast. Or at least, it's not the standard gold pack yeast.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I've been busy making 5 gallon recipes, so I'm also back to clearing out my Mr. Beer stock, which I've had since Fall 2012. This week I'm brewing the last Oatmeal Stout (again as a Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout) and the next to last St. Valentine's Cherries in Honey - both for SWMBO. After that I'l have left another St. Valentine's, 1 Aztec Mexican Cerveza, and 2 Classic American Lights. I put the Aztec and CAL's up for sale here: RickBeer's blowout the Aztec and CAL sale. Whether I sell them or not, it will all be gone by Fall.
Last edited by RickBeer on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Hey Rick, just bottled meself a PB Oatmeal Stout before my Frankenmuth trip last weekend. Today or tomorrow I will be grabbing my last two cans and make up a Chocolate Coconut Oatmeal Stout per SWMBOs request. Naming it after the Mounds candybar by calling it Tumulus Stout. Why do I have the feeling I will soon be splitting 5ers between the two in the LBKs???

Still have some more refills sitting around but havent thought a whole lot about them. I think I have a seasonal, the API IPA, and a cherry perry from what I can remember.
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The white IPA to saison is a great choice. I've turned a can into a 5 gallon saison with great results. I've got a can here I'm doing the same to this summer.
ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by ssorck »

mashani wrote:The white IPA to saison is a great choice. I've turned a can into a 5 gallon saison with great results. I've got a can here I'm doing the same to this summer.
Your posts regarding what you did with the White IPA was what motivated to pull he trigger on 2 seasonal 4 packs awhile back when I had a stackable coupon...
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Wow ssorck your problem with what to do with all the MB products sounds more like fun then a problem to me :) I do wish I could have seen some of mashani's post on the white IPA before I used them up, I really didn't care for that beer straight up, and I always liked the seasonals. Keep us posted on what you are doing with them.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

ssorck wrote:
mashani wrote:The white IPA to saison is a great choice. I've turned a can into a 5 gallon saison with great results. I've got a can here I'm doing the same to this summer.
Your posts regarding what you did with the White IPA was what motivated to pull he trigger on 2 seasonal 4 packs awhile back when I had a stackable coupon...
Yeah, I have a set of those on my shelf two. At what amounted to 50% off they were worth it.
ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by ssorck »

1) Trippel - done
Trollby
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by Trollby »

10) 1 Can Xmas Spiced - will make this one straight up, but will likely change from T-58 yeast.
I found the Mulling Spice was a little over powering. This might be since I bought my spice fresh not from a grocery store and was very strong.

Also I thing the beer needed more Almond extract, I think this year when I make this (from scratch not Mr. Beer Kit) I will add more Almond extract at bottle time.
CyberCop Brewery
LBK #1
LBK #2 -
LBK #3 (GF)
LBK #4 -
Pilot Keg

Drinking:
The Jen Stout
Belgian Dubbel
Blueberry Pomegranate Mead
Linda's Hard Cider
Lemon Wine (Hard Lemonade)
RCE - Bock

Conditioning:
DoppelWine
Blueberry Mead
NW3C-IPA
Brew #62 Lawn-Mower Pilsner
ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by ssorck »

2) Belgian Strong Dark Ale done.
ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by ssorck »

Trollby wrote:
I found the Mulling Spice was a little over powering. This might be since I bought my spice fresh not from a grocery store and was very strong.

Also I thing the beer needed more Almond extract, I think this year when I make this (from scratch not Mr. Beer Kit) I will add more Almond extract at bottle time.
I'm slow at times - just realized I forgot the Almond Extract on last years Mr Beer Xmas brew. Oops...and the store mulling was a bit strong in mine as well.
T8rSalad
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by T8rSalad »

Thanks for this topic Ssorck...along these same lines, my daughter wants me to make a similar brew to what Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss is. Any ideas of coming close with using the Old MB WWW and what flavoring additions and possibly adding Lactose to sweeten it a bit? I don't want to do grains or anything especially since I still quite a few refills left of Old MB product. Any advice is greatly appreciated as she has been asking for this from me for 6 months now. TIA

Oh and Happy Memorial Day and thanks to our veterans, passed & present.
L8r T8r

Fermenting: Quiet Kreek Kolsch Deaux, First Pitch Pilsner Ale Trois

Conditioning: Nut Brown Vienna Lager Ale, PilotHouse Pilsner, Johnny Silk's ESB 4th gen, Blue Moon Clone Trois, Fallen Friar Deaux, Arizona Country Canadian Draft Deaux

Drinking & Sharing: Rose's Rambling Red, Blue Moon Deaux, Ruck & Maul Red, American Devil Indian Pale Ale, Quiet Creek Kolsch, Northwest Pale Ale, Golden Czech Pils, Beach Babe Blonde, Grand Bohemian Czech Pils Trois, Diablo IPA+, Columbus Cascading Amber Ale, High Country Gold Lager Ale,
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

FWIW, the Chrismas Spiced Belgian works well as the base for a NON spiced Belgian or Biere de Garde. Just use the spices to make mulled cider instead of beer.
ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by ssorck »

mashani wrote:FWIW, the Chrismas Spiced Belgian works well as the base for a NON spiced Belgian or Biere de Garde. Just use the spices to make mulled cider instead of beer.
Maybe that's what I'll use my second can for...never even had a Biere de Garde...any decent commercial versions out there you'd recommend?