Amarillo Delta Rye Pale Ale

Share a BIAB recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Amarillo Delta Rye Pale Ale

Post by mashani »

I had time to brew for real, so I whipped up this concoction.

The Delta is supposed to be like a citrusy fuggles, so I think it will be nice in a rye beer with Amarillo.

2.5 gallon target. Full volume boil. 75minute BIAB oven mash of everything @152.

3.50# 2-Row
0.75# Rye Malt
0.33# Flaked Rye
0.50# Munich
6oz 20L Crystal
3oz honey malt

2/3oz Delta 4.4AA @20
1/3oz Amarillo 8.4AA @20

1/3oz Delta 4.4AA @0
2/3oz Amarillo 8.4AA @0

20 minute hop stand of all hops starting at @170. With the lid on, to keep as much essential oils from permanently flashing off as possible.

Nottingham, full pack.

With the extra AA utilization from left in hops boil hops and stand, it's going to be pushing 50 IBUs based on my experience.

OG ended up 1.053.
Around 11 SRM

I will probably dry hop some Amarillo too. Maybe some delta.

I might brew this identical beer except with 50% munich and no rye this weekend. We shall see.
Beer-lord

Re: Amarillo Delta Rye Pale Ale

Post by Beer-lord »

This looks very good. Amarillo goes very good with rye.
My only comment is the honey malt. Based on my experience, it can overpower the malt if you add too much. I limit 5 gallons to 8 oz so you should be golden fir 2.5.
And I love the flashed added with the rye malt......yummy!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Let us know how it works out. I have a pound of rye malt.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

Anything with rye...drool emoticon.
Sibling Brewers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Beer-lord wrote:This looks very good. Amarillo goes very good with rye.
My only comment is the honey malt. Based on my experience, it can overpower the malt if you add too much. I limit 5 gallons to 8 oz so you should be golden fir 2.5.
And I love the flashed added with the rye malt......yummy!
Honey malt in small quantities like this, especially mixed with something like Munich ends up enhancing the malt presence, but doesn't overpower things. That's actually what the Germans use it for (they would call it brumalt, it's more or less the same thing). But yeah, if you use too much it can get kind of whacked.

I like to use some flaked rye because it just seems to intensify the rye more then if you use just malted rye.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

I agree on the flaked rye. We remade a ryepa with just rye malt and the spicy factor was just not the same, the beer also seems quite a bit heavier.
Sibling Brewers
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Bottled at 1.012. Tasted nice, rye stands out nicely, good hop flavor/aroma in the sample - but if you want a more IPA like bitterness experience some extra hops @30 or @45 or a small bittering charge @60 might be good. It's hard to judge these things when doing hop stands, so I'm still "learnin". But I will reserve full judgment until it's carbed. I carbed it at the high end of APAs - 2.8 volumes, which should help make up for it to some extent. (higher co2 volumes help balance out lower bitterness, which is one of the reasons Belgians and wheats and similar beers are often carbed more aggressively). That said if you like Terrapin rye, then this would be fine. But it's very much more an APA like bitter then IPA like.

That said I've been sipping on a Rye of the Tiger IPA from Great Lakes while taking samples, bottling, etc... so my tastes are probably a bit warped (it's a 90 IBU rye IPA with simcoe piled on).
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Drinking my trub bottle of this. It's delicious.

Poured with some chill haze, but this was only in the fridge for 6 hours, and it's a trub bottle, and it's got rye in it. I don't know that I've ever brewed a totally haze free rye beer actually. I don't really worry about such things.

Has a thin froth like head, but it sticks around. It laces the glass like a good Belgian as I drink it.

The Amarillo is juicy, the Delta comes across almost like I used a mixture of spicy/earthy styrian goldings and some cascade hops, the cascade like citrus and the Amarillo play nice, the earth and spice play nice with the rye, it's a great combination. I would highly recommend this combo of hops in a rye beer based on how this turned out. Delta seems more styrian then fuggle to me in it's vibe, I don't know if it's because of the cross breeding, or if it's the soil conditions where it was grown, but I like styrians better, so this is a good thing to me.

Now that it's carbed (and I'm not comparing it to a 90 IBU IPA), it's bitter enough that the beer is balanced quite nicely along the lines of an east coast style, which is more the vibe I was going for, because I don't really like dryer rye beers as much - IE find Ruthless Rye to be somewhat "harsh" personally, and wanted a bit more malt presence in this rye beer to smooth it out. I got that, the Munich and honey malt were the perfect thing. The honey malt doesn't come across as "honey like sweet" at all, it's just kicking up the malt presence.

It has noticeable upfront bitterness, and is "hoppy", but if you want a stronger "bite" you might want a small bittering charge, or maybe if you wanted to keep it around a long time so if it mellowed it would remain balanced.

But I don't think this will last long enough that I need to worry about that. Hell I don't know that it will last a week. It's freaking yummy.
P1090473.JPG
P1090473.JPG (45.66 KiB) Viewed 3102 times
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Banjo-guy »

mashani wrote:I had time to brew for real, so I whipped up this concoction.

The Delta is supposed to be like a citrusy fuggles, so I think it will be nice in a rye beer with Amarillo.

2.5 gallon target. Full volume boil. 75minute BIAB oven mash of everything @152.

3.50# 2-Row
0.75# Rye Malt
0.33# Flaked Rye
0.50# Munich
6oz 20L Crystal
3oz honey malt

2/3oz Delta 4.4AA @20
1/3oz Amarillo 8.4AA @20

1/3oz Delta 4.4AA @0
2/3oz Amarillo 8.4AA @0

20 minute hop stand of all hops starting at @170. With the lid on, to keep as much essential oils from permanently flashing off as possible.

Nottingham, full pack.

With the extra AA utilization from left in hops boil hops and stand, it's going to be pushing 50 IBUs based on my experience.

OG ended up 1.053.
Around 11 SRM

I will probably dry hop some Amarillo too. Maybe some delta.

I might brew this identical beer except with 50% munich and no rye this weekend. We shall see.

Is there a temperature at which it is ok to leave the lid on when cooling? I thought I had to worry about DMS?
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Looks really good....I might have to make this one. Your description sounds awesome.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I pretty much plan to brew something with rye every 4 brews or so. I noticed a typo in my earlier post that I've not edited but I meant flaked rye of course, not flashed. And I strongly suggest if you want a nice spice flavor, the flaked is needed as plain rye malt just isn't enough in my book.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

Looks pretty Dave... Bet it does taste great...

And yeah, every time I open a bottle of something with Amarillo (usually combined with Citra, Centennial, Cascade), the first thought that coes to mind is "Mmmm, juicy!".

@ Banjo-guy

Once you have done the boil, you have boiled away any DMS precursors so you can feel comfortable putting a lid on it as soon as you start the cooling process. Sanitize it first though... :)

:cool:
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Banjo-guy wrote:
Is there a temperature at which it is ok to leave the lid on when cooling? I thought I had to worry about DMS?
I don't think you will get DMS no matter how you do it once you've boiled it for 60+ minutes. I can say that I never have. And I know a guy who does aussie no chill, and his beers don't have DMS - considering that NoChill brewers put near boiling wort directly into a sealed container and then let it cool on it's own, or even just put a lid on their pot and let it cool overnight in the pot, and don't get DMS, I don't worry about it.

And all the hops both the boiled hops and the hop stand hops went into my fermenter - commando. Folks also say you get nothing more out of them by doing that but I disagree except for hops that were in there boiling for 30+ minutes already. Pretty much any recipe I post, if you see hops @20 minutes or < in the recipe, they all go commando into my fermenter, unless there are obscene amounts.

EDIT: And yes, as BigPapaG said, sanitize your lid.
Beer-lord wrote:I pretty much plan to brew something with rye every 4 brews or so. I noticed a typo in my earlier post that I've not edited but I meant flaked rye of course, not flashed. And I strongly suggest if you want a nice spice flavor, the flaked is needed as plain rye malt just isn't enough in my book.
Yeah, a bit of flaked rye is almost "mandatory" in my view, it really enhances the rye profile.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I'm brewing today, want to try this. But I don't have any Notty, thinking of S04. I could use US-05, if I keep it in the kitchen, or possibly the top of the steps. Basement is too cool. I have no Honey Malt, nor Brumalt. Substitute? I can use various crystals, or melanoidin.
Never mind, there it is.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

No Delta, either. Fuggles+Cascade?
Never mind, there it is.