Summer Ale BIAB help

Share a BIAB recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Summer Ale BIAB help

Post by FrozenInTime »

From here, I'm going to do up a BIAB, 4.5 gallons of water, ending with 2.5 gallons of finished wort. I will split the water between a steep and the BIAB mash. What say y'all of this recipe?

NOTE, this is from above web site, it is NOT my recipe. An all grain thread shown myself in an earlier thread here. It is simple enough so should be a quick brew day when I get my stuff together first of the week. I'm leaving for town in ~30 minutes to pick up some of the ingredients I don't have on hand.

Steep at 160 for 30 minutes in 1 gal water(set aside for boil):
4 oz Carapils
4 oz 10L

BIAB Mash for 60 minutes at 148~149 in 3.5 gal water:
3 lb 8 oz 2-row
4 oz Vienna Malt

Drain steep'd and mashed into a pot
.10 oz Centennial FWH, bring to a boil, start 55 min boil
.15 oz Centennial, 35 min
.15 oz Cascade, 20 min
.15 oz Cascade, 5 min

BrewSmith shows:
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.007
ABV: 4.6%
IBU: 21.9
SRM: 3.4
Calories: 151

Sparge not required.

I am going to use the above ingredients, bit I'm willing to change amounts. Seems to me the water amounts is not right. What y'all thunk?
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Summer Ale BIAB help

Post by haerbob3 »

FIT, why the steep seperate from the mash??

Bob
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I have the same question. Is it a pot size problem?
I'd move the 35 minute hop to 10 minutes and increase the FWH to .25.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Well, to answer one question, the steep/mash seperated, it is because I would have been doing it in the house on a glass top stove, those, or atleast mine does not like to boil much over 3 gallons. More than that is more of a slow simmer and takes forever at that. When it warms up a bit, I will do it all outside on my burner.

I will look at increasing the amounts but this amount in brewsmith and looking at the charts made this on the upper edge of balanced. Not looking for a malty or hoppy session lawnmower brewski.

Now, on a shytty note... my trip to town was extremely disappointing. I arrived at the music shop, they had closed early, I walked up to the door and they had closed like 3 minutes earlier.... grrrrrr Ok, strike one. I go into the store that carries brewing supplies, everything is gone. I asked where they moved everything to, they said they sold everything to a guy that wanted to buy them out couple weeks ago. They are not going to carry brewing supplies anylonger. Man.... what a bummer. Strike two. There was supposed to be a lhbs opening up last month, so I drive to the strip mall it was going into. That store is totally empty and has a for lease sign in the window.... strike three.

So, now I have to come up with a decent brew in it's place. I have 2-row, bout 8 ozs Falconer's Flight, some 40L, 120L, Munich, smoked grains and some carapils. I may just do a SMASH, but it's not what I wanted to do. I do have a yr old large can of Bewitched but I wanted to do grain.

Now I'm really bummed.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

You need to move. :lol:
What about thinking what you plan to brew 3 or 4 brews out and buying everything at once online? That way, you'll have everything you need when you are ready.
I'm all for buying local but it seems that's not working too well.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Yea, that is probably going to happen, I hate making big orders and paying shipping. I don't usually plan brews ahead, I like to brew what hits my fancy at the time. There is a brew supply store about 2 hours from me. We go to the big city once every couple months, may just have to stock up when we do, but it's hit and miss for when that store is open, it's more the guys hobby when he feels like it.

Yea, I do need to move, back out to southern NM or AZ, but in the middle of no where there, it's going to be just as hard I'm sure. If you don't get the picture... I'll spell it out. We do not like living near ppl, too dayum many idiots in communities and that makes John a very angry guy, having to put up with them. The older I get the less patience I have for idiots. Guess I will start buying everything in 50lb bags.... LOL
myhorselikesbeer
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by myhorselikesbeer »

Fit....I don't know what amounts of 2 Row, Munich, 40, and Carapils you have, but with the FF you could make a nice Pale Ale.

I would mash it all in one pot on the stove to control temps, then take the boil outside to finish. It was 10 here last Monday when I did my RCE and the boil went well, 'cept I had to drink the tending brews befor they turned to slushies in the glass. :lol: :freeze:
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

FIT I saw that Northern has flat rate shipping again. The charge is $7.99 for Shytes & giggles I added a 50# sack of Rahr 2-row shipping went up to $18. Check if your in state LHBSs has an in townstate

Maybe Wyoming would be a got fit more cows than people :D :D :D
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Well, just crushed up some grains, went with what I had.

3.5lbs 2-row
8ozs carapils
8 ozs crystal 40l

Color should be ok but is in the upper limits for a pale ale
4.2 ABV I wanted a session brew, this should work

I will decide on the hops as I cook it up tomarrow. I have lots of FF, found .5oz hauer, .5oz centennial, 5.oz fuggles in da freezer. I will dig some more in the freezer to see what other hops goodies I have lost in there.

What gets me is the water recommended for this per brew smith.. not nearly enough to come up with 2.5 gallons in the fermentor. Guess I'll go with 2 gallons mash & 1.5 gallon sparge. Something is not right in the program.... it's telling me to use 204 degree sparge water.... me thunks NOT!
jhough
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by jhough »

Hey FIT, I come up with 1.4 gal @ 178 * for the mash. And 2.2 gal 170* for the sparge.
This is using Beer Formulator, I find that it usually comes pretty close for my brew kettle.
I also use KOTMF . Their calculators come close also.
Joe