Belgian w/ no belgian yeast, recommendations?

Share an all grain or partial grain recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Manowarfan1

Belgian w/ no belgian yeast, recommendations?

Post by Manowarfan1 »

Hail Borg - it looks like I will be making a Belgian on my birthday today, want to use up some of the Pilsner Malt and make room for some more two row. I had to leave behind the Belgian yeast I was going to use in Colorado so looking to make something with either:
US-05, S-04, Munich dry (believe this is a wheat yeast), San Diego Super Yeast, English Ale (WLP002), German Kolsch (WLP029) or some reclaimed Nottingham.

Gonna be a simple recipe, likely just 5.5 lbs Pilsner Malt, 1.5 lb sugar, and 1.25 lb Cascades at 90 mins. If none of the above yeast would give me anything GOOD I can always place an order today from kinda-sorta local homebrew shop and probably have it tomorrow. If nothing else I need to get some T58 to have on hand, once I get the big fridge for garage I should have a mini fridge available for all kinds of yeast storage.

Cheers
jeff
77 Big Red Ale 7/29
76 Naughty Brunette
75 Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale
74 O'Flannigans Standard Stout
73 Maris Otter SMaSH
72 Fedora Dave's Bit O' Bitter
russki
Russki
Russki

Re: Belgian w/ no belgian yeast, recommendations?

Post by russki »

None of these yeasts will create the "Belgian" flavor profile, but you can brew a tasty Kolsch!
In Soviet Russia, beer brews you!
My brews
Fermenting:
Strawberry Rhubarb Wheat (5-gal)(AG)
Cranberry Mead
Buck-Flower Mead
Flanders Red (5-gal)(AG) x 2
On Tap:
Hefeweizen (5-gal)(AG)
Oaked Pear Cider
Manowarfan1

Post by Manowarfan1 »

I think that is what it is going to end up as Russki - but not even a true kolsch. More of a Franken Kolsch. Thinking of throwing in some white wheat that needs using up and some Belgian Aromatic. This one is gonna have to sit and mellow a while as it looks like it will be pretty strong, but it may turn out to be something halfway sippable come wintertime.

I just really feel the urge to brew on my birthday and I have been putting off using some of this stuff up. Gotta free up some space so I can make a big order after we get back from Louisville. Hope to keep the pipeline full and flowing between that and ATL trip, then have another month or two of not working before getting back from CO. Once I start back to work (assuming there are some jobs out there lol) my brew time will be cut back big time so I will have to do more 5 gallon batches and eventually get to kegging. Those are all good things but require time and money.

So - pilsner malt, a bit of white wheat and aromatic, some sugar, some hops - likely cascades as I still have a ton of them and they are low alpha, and some kolsch yeast - which is good coz in a few weeks I may do a true kolsch or something right on top of the yeast cake or at least will be harvesting the yeast for future use.

Cheers
jeff
77 Big Red Ale 7/29
76 Naughty Brunette
75 Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale
74 O'Flannigans Standard Stout
73 Maris Otter SMaSH
72 Fedora Dave's Bit O' Bitter
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

whatever it turns out to be, it'll be beer! good luck on your frankenbrew :)
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra