Diastatic Power and Mashing Your Beer

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

Found this in the Inbox this morning a nice little read

This week we cover the technical topic of the diastatic power for mashing your all grain beer. While rarely covered, this topic is an important one, especially for home brewers making beers with high percentages of non-barley or specialty grains. This is an important topic for partial mash brewers as well, since they are often mashing with a high percentage of specialty grains.
The Malting Process

The story of diastatic power starts as part of the malting process. As we covered a few weeks ago in the article on Malting at Home, the malting process consists of placing raw barley grains in water and germinating (sprouting or growing) them until the acrospire (the little leaf growing inside the husk) reaches a length close to that of the grain itself. The malt is then kiln dried, and the tiny sproutlets fall off, leaving malted barley. For darker and specialty grains the malt is roasted at varying degrees of time and temperature to achieve everything from caramel malt to stout roast.

The purpose of the malting process is primarily to break down the protein structure of the hard grains and make them friable for mashing. In fact, you may often hear the term "modification" of the malt. Highly modified malt has almost all of its protein structure broken down, while undermodified malt still contains a significant portion of unfermentable proteins and complex starches. A secondary effect of malting, however, is to develop the enzymes (notably beta amylase) needed for mashing.
Diastatic Power

Diastatic power refers to the enzymatic power of the malt itself - its ability to break down starches into even simpler fermentable sugars during the mashing process. The term "diastatic" refers to "diastase" enzymes. There are two "diastese" enzymes, the first is alpha amylase and the second is beta amylase. These enzymes might be familiar to many of you who have been brewing all grain for a while, as they are the primary enzymes active when you mash your grains in the normal temperature range of 148-158F.

So why should an average homebrewer care? If you don't have sufficient diastatic enzymes in your mash, you simply will not be able to properly convert sugars during the mash. This will leave you with a partially fermented very sweet beer, with very low alcohol content.

Diastatic Power is measured in degrees lintner (often denoted with a big °L), though in Europe a secondary measure of Windisch-Kolbach units (degrees °WK) is often used. You can convert from one to the other using Lintner=(WK+16)/3.5 or going the other way as WK=3.5*Lintner - 16. A malt needs a diastatic power of approximately 35 °L to be considered "self converting". Some of the newest American 6-row malts can have a diastatic power as high as 160 °L. (Ref: Wikipedia)

You can get the lintner values for many common malts from the malt supplier's specification sheet, or from our BeerSmith database. Lets look at sample lintner values for a few commonly used grains:

American 2 Row Pale Malt: 140 °L
American 6 Row Pale Malt: 160 °L
British Pale Malts: 40-70 °L
Maris Otter Pale Malt: 120 °L
Belgian Pale Malt (2 row): 60 °L
German Pilsner Malt: 110 °L
Munich Malt (10 SRM): 70 °L
Munich Malt (20 SRM): 25 °L
Vienna Malt: 50 °L
Wheat Malt, German: 60-90 °L
Wheat, Unmalted (flaked, Torrified): 0 °L
Crystal Malt (all): 0 °L
Chocolate Malt: 0°L
Black Patent Malts: 0 °L

A few things become obvious looking at the above examples. With the possible exception of the very lightest specialty base malts such as Vienna or Munich, few specialty malts provide very much enzymatic power. Almost all of the enzymes needed to convert your mash are contained in your base malt, so the selection of a good base malt is important. Wheat provides diastatic power nearly equal to barley so it can be used in large proportions to make wheat beer.
Diastatic Power for All Grain and Partial Mash Brewers

How does this affect your all grain brewing? Clearly if you are brewing an all grain batch with a high power base malt like American six row, you will have plenty of enzymes available to convert your mash, and it will also convert at a faster pace than it might otherwise. However, if you are using a low power 2-row British malt with a large number of specialty malts, the sugars will still convert but might take substantially longer to do so.

A few specific styles can also cause problems for the all grain brewer. Lets take the example of Belgian Wit, which typically is made from 60% pale malt and 40% unmalted wheat (often flaked or torrified). If you select a Belgian Pale Malt base malt with low diastatic power, you may be in for a very long mash as the unmalted wheat contributes no enzymes to the process. The grains will likely still convert (little of the unmalted wheat will convert in any case) but it may take a long time to reach full conversion.

Diastatic power plays an even more important role for partial mash brewers. Many beginning partial mash brewers tend to take several pounds of specialty malts and try to mash them without a pale base malt. This can cause very poor conversion, as the fermentable portion of the specialty malts lack the enzymes to convert. It is important that you mash with sufficient base malt to provide the enzymes needed in the mashing process.
Estimating Diastatic Power for your Mash

To get a quick idea of whether you have sufficient diastatic power in your all grain or partial mash brew, I recommend you simply average the weighted diastatic power of your ingredients and see whether the final number is greater than the 30 Lintner minimum needed to convert. The overall diastatic power for your mash would be the sum of the diastatic power for each ingredient times its weight divided by the total grain weight. To get this number, just multiply the diastatic power for each grain times the weight of that grain, add the numbers up for all of your grains, and divide by the total grain weight.

Lintner_for_batch = Σ(lintner_for_grain * weight_of_grain) / (total_batch_grain_weight)

Lets look at a quick example: a partial mash using 2 lb of Caramel Malt, 1 pound of chocolate malt, and 1 pound of British Pale malt, with a diastatic power of 50 Lintner. The Caramel and Chocolate malts both have a diastatic power of zero, so they each contribute (0L x 1lbs) and (0L x 2lbs) for a total contribution of zero lintner-pounds. The pale malt is (50L x 1 lb) for a total contribution of 50 L-lbs. Now we add the contributions for all three up (which is 0+0+50) or 50 L-lbs. Now we divide by the total grain weight in the mash which is simply 4 lbs, which leaves an overall average diastatic power of 50/4 or 12.5 Lintner. Since this number is smaller than 30 L needed to convert the overall mash, another few pounds of pale malt or a grain with higher diastatic power might be warranted.

I will note that the above calculation is a rough approximation, as the specialty grains are only partially fermentable and contain many non-convertible starches, but I usually prefer to err on the side of more enzymes rather than end up short in the mash. Also, I don't like to wait forever for my mash to complete, so I will often shoot for a number higher than the 30 L limit shown above. Note that this calculation is really only needed for mashes with high percentages of specialty malts, as most modern base malts have very high diastatic power.

A great place to buy your grains is one of our sponsors - place an order with MoreBeer through this link and support the BeerSmith sites:

http://BeerSmith.com/MoreBeer
Brad Smith
BeerSmith.com
Follow BeerSmith on Twitter and Facebook
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
Beer-lord

Re: Diastatic Power and Mashing Your Beer

Post by Beer-lord »

Great stuff for every level of brewer.

I've made this a sticky!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

A week late for my ast brew... Thanks for the info. It helps with my conversion I've been having, especialy since I changed over to British 2 row, with the suggestion that it has a higher rate than American 2 row. A bit of info there....
This is something I'l be saving... thanks again for posting. :)
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

I got that same email/newsletter, and found it very useful, too.

Makes me wonder why BeerSmith doesn't have some sort of diastatic power calculator built in to the recipe builder.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
haerbob3
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by haerbob3 »

I bet no one has ever even suggested it to Brad. We need to get Brad over here like BrewDemon is
im Leben Geduld ist eine Tugend
in Brau-es ist eine Anforderung

in life patience is a virtue
in brewing it is a requirement

You are stronger than you think you are!!!!
~~Andy Wesley 1973 -- 2013
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Nice read, thanks Bob. And thanks to you also Paul, this is sticky worthy.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Crazy Climber
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Crazy Climber »

haerbob3 wrote:I bet no one has ever even suggested it to Brad. We need to get Brad over here like BrewDemon is
That would be great. However, Brad doesn't seem very active at his own forum, so I doubt he would pay much attention to ours.
The only time I see posts from him at his own forum is generally right after a major release. Other than that, he tends to let some of the more avid and knowledgeable users answer most of the questions.

I do have a laundry list of requests/suggestions that I intend to email to Brad one of these days, when I have the time ( :lol: ) - I will be sure to add a Diastatic Power calculator to that list, FWIW.
Crazy Climber:
I'm not particularly crazy (IMO), and I don't rock-climb. It's just the name of a video game I used to like to play, back in the 80's.
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Great reading. Thanks for sharing, Bob.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

Great read, lots of valuable information there. Thanks to Brad for taking the time to provide not only the background for the calculations but the formulas as well. I've already added this the my brewer's toolbox, it goes to show you that yeast alone isn't always to blame for poor attenuation. If you're not getting good good conversion from your mash to convert the starches to fermentable sugars, pitching all the healthy yeast in the world won't prevent your beer from being sweet.

"Lintner_for_batch = Σ(lintner_for_grain * weight_of_grain) / (total_batch_grain_weight)

Lets look at a quick example: a partial mash using 2 lb of Caramel Malt, 1 pound of chocolate malt, and 1 pound of British Pale malt, with a diastatic power of 50 Lintner. The Caramel and Chocolate malts both have a diastatic power of zero, so they each contribute (0L x 1lbs) and (0L x 2lbs) for a total contribution of zero lintner-pounds. The pale malt is (50L x 1 lb) for a total contribution of 50 L-lbs. Now we add the contributions for all three up (which is 0+0+50) or 50 L-lbs. Now we divide by the total grain weight in the mash which is simply 4 lbs, which leaves an overall average diastatic power of 50/4 or 12.5 Lintner. Since this number is smaller than 30 L needed to convert the overall mash, another few pounds of pale malt or a grain with higher diastatic power might be warranted."
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
braukasper
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by braukasper »

or possibly a little amylase enzyme
Lebe das Leben. Um in vollen Zügen. Trinken zu Hause brauen!
Live life. To the fullest. Drink home brew!!
Jon
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Jon »

This is great info.

The grains I've found with the highest diastatic power are Briess 2-row, Briess Wheat and highest of all--Briess Red Wheat. Red wheat was something like 130 or 160--just crazy high!
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

This is great info... How'd I miss this the first time around???

Cool!

:cool:
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Yes, nice read.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Pudge »

Good to know why things are the way they are, but a very short summary would be to remember base malts are base malts for a reason. They carry the diastatic power needed for the rest of your grain bill. Vienna and Munich can be questionable if used as a base for a complicated recipe... whcih doesn't often happen.

I've seen recipes in the past where folks get a little too cute or creative and you have to wonder if the numbers really work out.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Pudge wrote:Good to know why things are the way they are, but a very short summary would be to remember base malts are base malts for a reason. They carry the diastatic power needed for the rest of your grain bill. Vienna and Munich can be questionable if used as a base for a complicated recipe... whcih doesn't often happen.

I've seen recipes in the past where folks get a little too cute or creative and you have to wonder if the numbers really work out.
Except it's not quite that simple, because many European base malts are under modified compared to the American stuff. So that Euro Pale malt or Pils might not have any more diastatic power then Vienna malt. And it's a big difference. A high quality Euro malt might be 70-80 as compared to the Briess 120-130. When the brits started to use a lot of adjunct grains in the war years, they bought a lot of American 6-row. It was cheaper (and more available) then the Euro malts as were the adjuncts. And it could support the adjuncts, where the Euro malts not necessarily so.

When I get overly creative I throw in some amylase enzyme.