Check it out - I made beer! 15-minute Pale Ale

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Check it out - I made beer! 15-minute Pale Ale

Post by Kealia »

I found one bottle of this in the fridge a few days ago and drank it - wow, time made a difference on this one.
The fruity/belgian esters died down and this became a really solid PA. I thought it was 'good' when I drank them and sent them out (then gave away most to my in laws) but with some time it became ' really good'.

Next time I whip up something like this I will let it sit a solid month before touching it because it made a big difference.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

Kealia wrote: (then gave away most to my in laws)
Did you put the labels on those. ;)
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

But, of course. Like Popeye said, "I yam what I yam!"
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

Kealia wrote:
Gymrat wrote:I have hop bursted a couple of my IPAs. They havent been too sweet at all.
I hop bursted the IPA that I did, too. But I still had a bittering addition - did yours?
I hop burst my Citra Pale Ale at 20, 15, 10, 5, 0 plus a dry hop. Full volume boil with no bittering at all, and a late addition of 1.5# light LME. It's plenty bitter but not like an IPA. Just enough to balance out the malt, but the aroma is incredible.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Kewl.

I haven't decided if I like hop bursting or hop standing better yet........so many options to choose from!
But I'm happy with the hop standing that I've done in my RCE IPA and the subsequent IPL so I'll likely stick with that for a bit.
D34THSPAWN
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by D34THSPAWN »

I really liked my hop-burst pale ale, but because of the chilling time and centennial hops it turned out a little more bitter than I liked but everyone who tried one loved them so I've got that going for me! next time I am gonna cut down to a non-grapefruit flavored hop thats a little lower AA value and invest in a wort chiller I think.
Deadhouse Brewing Pipeline
Drinking: Northern Brewer Nut Brown, Pale Rider, Charon's oar Conditioning: Charon's OarFermenting: Single Obol Stout Next Up: Persephone's Tears Blackberry Wheat
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Bumping this thread because I really want to brew this weekend but have limited time so I'm going back to doing a batch of this 15-minute beer.

Since my closest LHBS is shutting down I was able to buy everything needed at 30% off. I'm going to use 100% Simcoe and US-05 for a simple, clean pale ale that I whip and be done with quickly.

I thought some "new" folks may benefit from bumping this thread for either a quick brew day or stepping out from the HME process.

Maybe I'll call in Baby Pliny or something stupid like that. But with some upcoming vacation time, this can condition while I'm gone and will ready and waiting for me when I get home to drink it.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I just read another Brulosphy article about a 30 minute mash and then a 30 minute boil and though not the same thing as a 15 minute extract brew, the results were very good. The panel couldn't tell the difference which was the short brewed and long brewed in blind tastings. They had differ colors and those that were right, basically just guessed.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Wait....you READ?!?!
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Kealia wrote:Wait....you READ?!?!
Man, talk about a beat down! I'll have you know I've read all the Dr. Seuss books!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Funny this should come up now. The season is pretty good for brewing, basement a good ferment temp, ground water still cool enough for chilling. But I have A Lot of work to do on the boats, house and car. So I've been thinking of a quick batch again too. We'll see how my schedule is in a couple of weeks.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
natural320
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by natural320 »

and the Lord said that this thread must RISE UP!!!
haha
I like these fast brew day threads. like you saw in my "speedy brew day thread"...totally doable. EVEN a full all grain batch. I cranked out a batch, including cleanup, in about 2:15 (and it would have been about a half hour faster if my ground water was cooler!). I too was inspired by the brulosophy article. and I feel a nice pale ale is the perfect candidate. also, FWIW, it retained a nice hoppy character for about 5 months before the keg finally kicked. obviously better when fresh, but certainly not a waste of time!

here is my question though: since you are using malt extract already...why not just add some sparkling amber extract and skip the steep altogether? you will definitely get the sweet characteristics, along with some more body and ABV potential with extra base malts in the extract. I feel like you could start to mix and bring the wort to a boil with the FWH in there, then boil, cool, transfer, pitch, and clean up in like 45-60 minutes. I dunno, but to me, if you are going to dedicate a half hour to steep, you may as well full mash! but if you want FAST, own it and just crank through the brew without "wasting" time to steep.
just my $0.02
Little Bastards Brewing Project - "evolution of an obsession"
Drinkin': Southern Sunset, Stupid Easy Cider, Dunkleweizen, Wedding IPA (congrats bro!)
kegged and waiting: Yella beer (Bavarian lager)
up next: another Hefe, Counselor Williams Brown Ale, a string of lagers
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

That's a good idea, and one that I never thought of since I haven't brewed with extract in quite a while (aside from the occasional recipe like this).
I think I'll give that a shot. I have to swing by the LHBS soon to pick up what I need for this and I'll grab some sparkling amber to use in place of the steep if they have it.
If I'm going to brew quickly, I might as well do it as quickly as possible!

Thanks for the input.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I have used all extract with good results.
Another thing I have done is a partial mash in which the late addition is the mash. That way I can start the mash and boil about the same time, and commence bittering. The wort from the mash gets added toward the end of the boil, with enough time to sanitize it.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

You can also try something I've done with great success. Mash as much as you can of something you can use as a PM base for multiple batches of beer. If that sound boring, then you need to think more creatively, IE maybe you can use nnn amount in one beer, and nn amount in another beer and n amount in a 3rd, and end up with very different beers.

So post mash, boil it a little bit, chill it (sometimes I just no-chill overnight with a lid on, I put it in the oven which is sterileish and cat/dog proof). package it in multiple containers, freeze whatever you aren't going to use within a week or two, you can put the rest in the fridge, I've not had it go sour or have any trouble with it in the fridge over a 2-3 week period.

So you spend the time doing a PM for one batch, but then you get 1 or 2 or 3 other batches out of it just by bringing it back up to a boil, tossing in some hops/extract. And if you do what I do often for pales/ipas, and do a short boil with a bunch of high AA hops, you can do just a 10-20 minute boil w/hopstand.

Sometimes I have multiple mashes of different things in my freezer and I "blend" them too if I think the combo will work for something.

BTW, you can also do a hop boil in the mash to get a "bittering" addition pre-done.

You can even hop stand that mash and if you short boil when you use it retain a good bit of the flavor and aroma from it in future beers.

I've done all these things.

I like the results of this so much that I pretty much do it all the time now.