BIAB Oatmeal Stout

Share a BIAB recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

BIAB Oatmeal Stout

Post by Tabasco »

Wow, this BIAB Oatmeal Stout I just tapped is real good. Delicious. No choc malt. I'll put the recipe up, but I have it on Brewtoad, and it's down right now.
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: BIAB Oatmeal Stout

Post by Brewbirds »

We did one without chocolate malt also. It can be potent stuff if your not careful.

Ours was more of an Imperial Irish kind of Guiness clone with roasted and barley. We added some Special Roast for its sourdough flavor to simulate the sour beer it is said that Guiness adds to each batch.

An oatmeal stout is on my want to brew list.

:cheers:
Sibling Brewers
jhough
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by jhough »

Tabasco, Brewtoad can be that way sometimes. When you can , go ahead and post the recipe , would love to see it.
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

I see I edited it to something else in brewtoad, and forgot to save the original. But, no matter .... I re-read my notes last night. It was very simply:

7.5 lbs 2 row
1.0 lb roasted barley
0.5 flaked oats (put in the mash it its own muslin sack)
0.5 lbs cane sugar

This was mashed 90 minutes 152 deg

1 oz nugget 60 min
1 oz nugget 20 min
1 oz nugget 10 min

S05

A bit more flavorful/bitter than some like, but I like that ... the oatmeal does smooth it a little.

I'm finding I've pretty much gravitated to simple recipes. I'm limited on the grain bill with my brew pot size, and I like simple anyway. But, if I want over 4.5-5.0 ABV, I have to add a little sugar or DME.
I find a little sugar works good in stouts, it fully ferments, so the stout is not too "heavy" and you're not going to taste any "cidery offtaste" in a bitter stout.