New Smaller Brew Kettle

Although you don't need a mash ton or other things to do BIAB, you still need the right sfuff to brew it right!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

New Smaller Brew Kettle

Post by Banjo-guy »

I bought a 9 gallon brew kettle thinking it would be smart to get a larger kettle so that I could grow into it in the future. I seem to be settling into 2.00-2.5 gallon output brews. I would like to brew on my electric stove and use full volume boils. Does the borg think a 4 gallon kettle would be big enough. I could go 5 gallon because that seems to be a standard size.
I was figuring on 5 lbs of grain for a 2.5 batch. What do you think? Can I get away with a 4 gallon ( 16 quart ) kettle or do I need to go up to 5 gallons?
Last edited by Banjo-guy on Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
philm00x

Re: New Smaller Brew Kettle

Post by philm00x »

I use a 5 gallon kettle now, and it's the perfect size for full volume, especially for all-grain brewing. I still use my old 3 gallon pot for heating sparge water, but I used to do full volume boils in it, and always had to worry about boil over because it would fill almost to the brim. All of my boiling is done on an electric stove inside. I like to brew big beers every now and then (Belgian ales), and I think 4 gallons would still be cutting it a little close for the amounts of grain and volumes of water needed. If you don't really brew anything bigger than 1.060, then you should be alright with 4 gallons.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I'd get the five. I currently do all of my batches (2-5g) in a five. Mash and boil in the same pot. For 5g batches I top off twice.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Inkleg
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Inkleg »

I'm siding with the 5 gallon pot also.
When I started BIAB I had a 5 gallon pot. Some of my bigger beers were pretty close to the top. One mash I had to cover the pot with aluminum foil because the lid wouldn't fit.
Naked Cat Brewery On Tap
Yazoo Sue Smoked Porter
Octoberfest
Le Petite Saison
Czech Pale Lager
A Toast to Big Fuzzy Russian Imperial Stout at 10%
Belgian Blond
Flower Power IPA
4 Kilts Clueless Belgian Strong
One Wort Two Yeast with Wyeast 2206
One Wort Two Yeast with WLP940
Shipwreck Saison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

The folks above are right on.

I do mine in a 16Q, and I can do full volume BIABs up to 2.5 gallon in it. BUT I am limited to just how big of a beer I can brew in them without pushing the limits beyond sanity. So any bigger beer I do in the 16Q is more of a BIAB Partial Mash and I do a late extract addition to bring it up to OG I want. I do 5 gallon split batches in the 16Q pot too, but all of those are obviously PM BIABs with late extract and topping up in the fermenters.

If you have the room for and ability to use a 5 gallon pot it would be better if you intend to brew any bigger beers and you really want to do them as full AG. I just can't fit one on my stove.
Banjo-guy
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: New, Smaller Brew Kettle

Post by Banjo-guy »

Thanks. I guess If I can fit it on my stove I should go for the 5 gallon.
I can fit the 9 gallon pot on my stove but It doesn't work well on the glass top.

Do you have a valve on your 4 or 5 gallon pots?
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

No valve, I horse it around. I've been shopping carefully for a bigger pot that will fit on the glass top burner. Check the dimensions on the manufacturer's site before ordering. Also make sure that it doesn't have an inward raised center, as many do.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.