Cocnut Curry Beer

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Cocnut Curry Beer

Post by ssorck »

So after trying Ballast Point's Indra Kunindra I decided I liked it enough to try and clone it. It was definitely the most unusual beer I've ever tried, if you can imagine what drinking spicy coconut curry would be like, that is what Indra Kunindra is. It paired great with sushi. I think it's a love it or hate it beer - I happened to love it so figured I'd give it a shot (of course I scaled it sown to a 3 gallon batch in case it turned out crappy, lol).

I did some digging around on the internet and found this: https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http ... wcjune.pdf . on page 6 is a recipe for a Curry Beer. Alex Tweet who is mentioned in the article is the brewer whom collaborated with Ballast Point for Indra Kunindra.

So I brewed this on Sunday, hope it turns out tasty!

Coconut Curry Beer
------------------
Brewer: Ssorck
Style: American Stout
Batch: 3.00 gal Extract

Characteristics
---------------
Recipe Gravity: 1.079 OG
Recipe Bitterness: 52 IBU
Recipe Color: 35° SRM
Estimated FG: 1.020
Alcohol by Volume: 7.6%
Alcohol by Weight: 6.0%

Ingredients
-----------
Briess LME - Pilsen Light 6.00 lb Extract
Black Barley - 0.40 lb, Grain, Steeped
Chocolate Malt - 0.40 lb, Grain, Steeped
Crystal 80L - 0.60 lb, Grain, Steeped

HopShot - 3 ML 2.50 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes

Madras Curry Powder - 1.2 oz.
Cayenne Pepper - 2/3 tsp
Coconut Extract - 1/3 oz.
Cumin - 1/3 tsp
Kaffir Lime Leaf - 1/4 oz.
Toasted Coconut Flakes - 2 oz.

Safale S-04 Dry Ale Yeast

Notes
-----
Recipe Notes:

Ferment in Primary for 21 days. Day 13 make a tincture with 3 oz. vodka adding Madras Curry Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Cumin. Add to primary on day 14.

Day 20 make 2 tinctures – One with 2 oz. vodka and Kaffir Lime Leaf, One with 2 oz. vodka and Toasted Coconut Flakes.

Day 21 bottle adding Kaffir Lime Leaf Tincture, Toasted Coconut Tincture and Coconut Extract to bottling bucket.

Batch Notes:

Actual OG 1.075
mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Cocnut Curry Beer

Post by mashani »

I love Thai and Indian food so I'd probably like this.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Put down your spice rack and step away from the beer, before some-one gets hurt. Let us help you.
Sorry, police training. Good luck with it, report results please.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
lindseywinstead
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by lindseywinstead »

Sounds delicious to me! Please keep us updated. I am currently enjoying my attempt at a toasted coconut porter (not too shabby for a first try, IMHO). This sounds as though it will be heavenly (fingers crossed)!
2thedogs Brewery
Maybe, just once, someone will call me, "Sir," without adding, "You're making a scene." - Homer Jay SimpsonImage
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

I like coconut curry and I like beer not sure I like them together. But it does sound very interesting. I will have to find some Indra Kunindra to try.
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

What's a Cocnut?

(I'm sorry..........I HAD to write that. It's just what I do. I can't stop myself.)
:cool:
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Something you put a lime in and mix it all up?
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

mashani wrote:Something you put a lime in and mix it all up?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by ssorck »

Wings_Fan_In_KC wrote:What's a Cocnut?

(I'm sorry..........I HAD to write that. It's just what I do. I can't stop myself.)
:cool:
Heh, oops!
ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by ssorck »

Bummer. Gushers. The whole batch. Just dumped 'em, a case. They tasted pretty good, not enough curry flavor IMHO and too much lime. Spice heat was pretty good though, caught you on the back end.

I added the spices and the coconut flakes from vodka tinctures that were made about 48 hours previous. The bottles clearly had a 'look' to where the top of the beer sat, almost slightly milky? I'm guessing maybe the spices gave a surface for the CO2. They didn't taste infected, but I didn't want to risk them exploding, and tomorrow is recycling day, so dumping the beer and the bottles seemed appropriate.

On attempt 2 - when I get around to - it I'll try a different curry, perhaps a bit hotter (vindaloo anyone)? I'll also leave out the lime leaf and the coconut flakes. Will just add coconut extract at bottling for the coconut flavor. I think the lime leaf detracted rather than added to the beer. And I'm not sure the coconut flakes are adding anything that extract won't, except possibly adding to the gusher effect.

Anyway I'll probably try again over the summer maybe or fall. To be continued...
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

ssorck wrote:Bummer. Gushers. The whole batch. Just dumped 'em, a case. They tasted pretty good, not enough curry flavor IMHO and too much lime. Spice heat was pretty good though, caught you on the back end.

I added the spices and the coconut flakes from vodka tinctures that were made about 48 hours previous. The bottles clearly had a 'look' to where the top of the beer sat, almost slightly milky? I'm guessing maybe the spices gave a surface for the CO2. They didn't taste infected, but I didn't want to risk them exploding, and tomorrow is recycling day, so dumping the beer and the bottles seemed appropriate.

On attempt 2 - when I get around to - it I'll try a different curry, perhaps a bit hotter (vindaloo anyone)? I'll also leave out the lime leaf and the coconut flakes. Will just add coconut extract at bottling for the coconut flavor. I think the lime leaf detracted rather than added to the beer. And I'm not sure the coconut flakes are adding anything that extract won't, except possibly adding to the gusher effect.

Anyway I'll probably try again over the summer maybe or fall. To be continued...
Sorry that this batch didn't work out for you but VERY glad to see you posting again I'd been missing you on various threads and hoped all was well with you.

Get on out there and cook up another one Big Guy there's no defeatist's on the :borg: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Sibling Brewers
ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by ssorck »

Thanks BB!

Still brewing like mad on the weekends, I just got wrapped up in family drama, business drama, health drama, etc. The drama continues but so be it. The health is no biggie, just typical having lose weight and diet nonsense. Plus I'm entering training season again for dumb events - the last few years I've done a couple Tough Mudders with some folks so I gotta start getting in shape again. And I'm supposed to be doing a trail marathon at the end of June, lol. Work drama is worse - it's looking like hours both working and commuting are about to go up significantly...

But I think I have 22 gallons +/- in the works, and last I checked 10 cases bottled or so, all's good!
mightyjak

Post by mightyjak »

I know it's been 7 years since the last post, but did did you ever brew this again? I had one bottle of Indra Kunindra and have wanted to recreate it ever since.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Hello, Mightyjak, welcome aboard! Ssorck might pop up to reply, but he hasn't posted since 2014, so probably not. Maybe some of our other members have ideas. My own spice beers are no more exotic than Christmas or Pumpkin ales. Have you found any recipes? Keep us posted.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.