Ebay Caps by the Thousand

Share a deal or a steal you found with your BeerBorg buddies!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Ebay Caps by the Thousand

Post by RickBeer »

:lol: Well, it's eBay, no phone number...

I sent him a thank you note, noted the discrepancy but only because when I sent him questions before I ordered I asked about the "2000 by weight" reference. He said they had never had a complaint because "we are ALWAYS over". So I ordered. I suspect no one counts (except me, and that's how I found my LHBS was ALWAYS UNDER by 3%) but I do it for inventory so I know when I will run out. Have a spreadsheet that has all my ingredients, cans (soon to be no more) of Mr. Beer, all bottles by size, etc. I can brew 37.2 5 gallon batches using 53 12 oz bottles per batch for example. My clean bottle inventory presently supports 1.1 5 gallon batches, so I know that what's in the LBKs right now (two final Mr. Beer batches) will fit.

The under quantity of 33 caps is $.49. I don't expect them to reship, and he met the terms of the deal " by weight". I didn't ask for anything, thanked him and pointed out that it was a tad light for future (although I expect them to stop selling caps at some point when their inventory runs out).

I put some pics of parts of my spreadsheet below. Most of you don't give a hoot :laugh , but all I do is type in 3 numbers for each batch and the spreadsheet does the rest. When I drink a bottle, I decrease the quantity by 1 and put that in the empty bottle section (not shown), and it all updates. The section at the top always adds up to the check numbers so I know I've accounted for all beer. I know when I'm running low without counting anything, or in most cases when I'm running out forever since I won't be doing anymore Mr. Beer batches, so my "17 different beers" claim is dwindling by the day and will never be that high again. :sweat:
example of beer spreadsheet.JPG
example of beer spreadsheet.JPG (45.07 KiB) Viewed 3102 times
2nd example.JPG
2nd example.JPG (74.59 KiB) Viewed 3102 times
3rd example.JPG
3rd example.JPG (95.69 KiB) Viewed 3102 times
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I'm impressed. My ledger is by eye in the basement, or in what appear to be Mayan runes in a notebook.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

John Sand wrote:Just today I weighed one of the ebay caps against one from a local bottle of craftbrew. The ebay cap is slightly heavier.
That's good. You should get a decent crimp then. I had problems with cheap caps I bought from morebeer one time. I could turn them on the bottle after crimping them on, I got to looking at them and the metal was thinner, That meant the bell was not as snug on them as it is on thicker metal caps. I have been suspicious of bargain caps ever since.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks for the heads up. I never would have checked these without your warning.
Never mind, there it is.
DaYooper
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by DaYooper »

Soooo, that is what 2,000 bottlecaps look like. w00t! Dang, when I am out I will know I went thru 83 1/3 cases of beer. Egads!!!

And I love it that they have "Twist Off" on them. Now I can mess with my non-craft friends.

:muahaha:
Silverleaf Vineyard & Winery / Old Mission Hops Exchange / Porchside Vineyard / The North York Brewing Company
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

That is a Beer-Q test. If you can't open it, you've had enough.
Never mind, there it is.
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

John Sand wrote:I just bought 2,000 caps for $32 delivered. There's a homebrew store selling out stock in Ca. I'd bought then before by the gross. A kind member of the old MrB forum sent me a surplus bunch free. Sometimes they come with a kit. But bottling today left me with maybe enough for another batch. So I went online and found them for less than 2c each. I'm lousy with links and such, but go on ebay, they are easy to find.
Thanks, John! I am SET! :banana:
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Glad I could help! :)
Never mind, there it is.
alb
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by alb »

So now I know what 4,000 (more or less) bottle caps looks like. Wow. That's a lot of caps. I better start brewing a little faster.
Proprietress, The Napping Hound Tavern
serving marvelous food and magnificent beers from
Fool's Gold Brewing Co.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

It could be 3,934. See my post... :lol:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

:lol: :lol:
Whichever, it's plenty of caps. Isn't "cap"italism great?
:p
Never mind, there it is.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Just bottled my last batch with these caps. I have 2 left. I've bought a bunch from my LHBS, Adventures in Homebrewing, when they put them on sale.

Currently, you can get 144 for $1.79. Agner & Wolf. Old Nation for $1.99. And some others.

The Ebay ones were $29.95 for 2,000 or 1.5 cents each. That works out to $2.16 for 144, so these prices above are very good, assuming you are ordering other items.
Last edited by RickBeer on Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Cool! It's nice to see this old thread. I still have a jar full, for the few beers that I bottle. After I started kegging, I shipped out most of my of caps free to some new guys on the Borg.
Never mind, there it is.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Still haven't moved to kegging. With just me and my wife, can't really justify it based on consumption. I'd waste beer cleaning taps and lines... Maybe when we retire in 2021 I'll make that move. Yeah, that's the ticket! :lol:

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

:lol:
I've cut back on my consumption to lose a little weight. (It worked)
I still like my kegs, but I'm thinking of making smaller batches. The bottling I do now is to empty a keg before changing, to age a beer or to gift some bottles.
Never mind, there it is.