Poppy's Ultra Light

Share a BIAB recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Poppy's Ultra Light

Post by Tabasco »

My Dad is 87, and can't get around much. He really can't drink beer, but will have the occasional ultra light ... due to diabetes.

So, last night I brewed him a LBK size batch of "Poppy's Ultra Light".

BIAB. 2.75 lbs 2Row, 0.5 lbs cane sugar. 1 oz Cascade 1/3 50min, 1/3 20min, 1/3 10 min. Whirfloc to clear.
Might be a little cidery with the sugar, but it's supposed to be an ultra light. 4.0 ABV target. OG was 1.044 ... a little higher than I thought, guess it's really just a lite. Will be ready for Christmas.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Re: Poppy's Ultra Light

Post by FrozenInTime »

I don't think that's too much sugar, it's well within the 2/3 - 1/3 rule. It should be ready by xmas. If your wanting to drop the ABV, I've heard it said u can put it in the oven for 30 minutes or so to remove some of the alc. But I think doing that you would probably need to put in a tiny bit of yeast so it can carb up. Again, I've only heard that, have not done it myself. I think it was a discussion on the old MrB forum.
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
The_Professor
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Re: Poppy's Ultra Light

Post by The_Professor »

There's a thread over at HBT about making a Miller Lite. I have trying a fairly well hopped 4.5 - 5.0 ABV version of this on my to do list.