BIAB equipment list

Although you don't need a mash ton or other things to do BIAB, you still need the right sfuff to brew it right!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

BIAB equipment list

Post by duff »

Maybe this will get some things going around here.

Since I will be moving in a couple of months and I will have a much better stove and possibly the ability to use a propane burner of some sort I have been considering doing BIAB batches. What equipment is required to do BIAB brewing and what equipment isn't required but is helpful? Any description of the equipment you use and what you like about it would be helpful. I am trying to sort out what is just preference and what is actual requirement from a lot of the equipment I see on other pages. For example I have seen people recommend that a bag should be a certain number of inches taller than the kettle but others say that as long as it fits in the kettle it's good or people that recommend the bag be conical shape vs cylindrical.

I will likely be making 2.5 and 5 gallon batches.
Beer-lord

Re: BIAB equipment list

Post by Beer-lord »

BIAB is likely the quickest way to get to AG brewing. You basically only need a big enough pot to hold ALL the water to mash and sparge in. Beersmith and other programs can help with that.
So, a nice size pot. To do 5 gallon AG batches that can run up to 1.065-1.070, you'll need at least aa 10 gallon pot and a bag big enough and strong enough to hold the 12-16 lbs of grain.
Other than that, a good thermometer to watch the mash temps, fermenting bucket and the usual brewing equipment.
A good strainer or two is very helpful as well.
You can get a custom grain bag to fit your pot or get 5 gallon paint strainers at Lowes/Home Depot.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

I use a second-hand 20qt pressure cooker/canner as a kettle, a five gallon paint strainer, hydrometer, and thermometer. A 12qt ss pot does for a fermenter for 2.5 gallon batches. A scale is important too. I use two, one for pounds of grain, one for fractions of ounces of hops. Much can be bought cheaply from ebay or Amazon. The whole point of biab is simplicity.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
DS Brewery

Post by DS Brewery »

I recently purchase the High Gravity BIAB System. This is more than is necessary to BIAB but I love it!

:wow:
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Ernest Hemingway
teutonic terror
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by teutonic terror »

I've done 5 gal BIAB with a 5 gallon kettle and a 5 gallon bucket!

I use Beersmith for my mash volumes and then I sparge with enough water to make up my boil volume.
I also squeeze and mash the hell outta my grains to make my OG! Colander in the bottom of the bucket helps quite a bit!
Rinse lots too!
Not as fancy smanchy as the levitating brew pot but I get very good results!! :P
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

I love how that BIAB system suspends itself in midair! I love antigrav brews!
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
duff
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by duff »

I guess I have most of the stuff covered then. I will just need to acquire a bag.
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

Believe it or not, I BIAB with a 16qt pot for 5 gal batches. I fill it 3/4 full of water, bring it to 174 deg, and then put the paint strainer bag with 8.5 lbs of grain, and it brings the water to almost the rim, so I have to stir carefully, and it settles right in at about 155 deg.

I sparge back up to almost top of pot, and start the boil. Cool down in sink bath, no ice to about 90 deg in 20 mins, pour into fermenter pail, and then bring up to 5 gal line with cold water using same pot to fill and pour. I get about 80%eff and hit 1.048-1.052 OG .... and after fermenting I'm averaging about 4.8% AG.

I can hit 1.06 OG or so adding some sugar, which many people wouldn't like, but it makes a nice ale. It's not too dry, considering it would have been 1.05 OG anyway. So, you can even do 6% ABV this way, just using well within ratio range of adjunct or even a pound of dme.

Not a sophisticated method, and I often use a little extra hops to get the same bittering and flavoring as a full volume boil, but this method works. I've done countless batches, love my ale, and brew INDOORS in my brew room. I just haven't been motivated to bring it outside on a burner. I'm brewing right by my slop sink.

This does not mean that people who say you should do full volume are wrong. That is the best. But I love my ales.

I also have never racked. Mash pot, boil in same pot, to fermenter pail .. to bottle or keg. They're usually clear.
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks Tabasco, I like it.
I'm in Rocky Point, where are you?
Never mind, there it is.
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

John Sand wrote:Thanks Tabasco, I like it.
I'm in Rocky Point, where are you?
John, I'm in West Babylon. If you want to go out for craft brews one night let me know I think we have PM in here. Or, my email should be in my profile.

Thursday, Frid, Sat and Sun the Great South Bay Brewery tasting room is open. I haven't been there in a long time ... it should all be remodeled by now. They are supposed to be in-house brewing now instead of using contract brewers, but I haven't checked that out yet.

I'll let you know when I go .... but it's close to me ... in Bayshore .... would be a ride for you. Beerlabelman Steve likes to go, too ... but it's a ride for him, too, so he has to "plan" ... I could just "run over".
jivex5k
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by jivex5k »

I'd be very interested in what someone has as an electric turkey fryer BIAB setup.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you can never be sure if they are true." - Walt Whitman
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

jivex5k wrote:I'd be very interested in what someone has as an electric turkey fryer BIAB setup.
I would, too, thanks for posting the question. :?
DS Brewery

Post by DS Brewery »

RickBeer wrote:I love how that BIAB system suspends itself in midair! I love antigrav brews!
It wasn't suspended? I was using my invisible table...everyone has an invisible table, don't they? :jumpy:
An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Ernest Hemingway
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Great Idea! Jane and I visited GSB in the spring. I used to live in N Babylon (85-93 maybe). My wife works a lot of evenings now. We could actually meet somewhere in the middle. Patchogue comes to mind, they have at least one brewpub, and Bobbique has an extensive beer list.
Never mind, there it is.
Tabasco
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by Tabasco »

John Sand wrote:Great Idea! Jane and I visited GSB in the spring. I used to live in N Babylon (85-93 maybe). My wife works a lot of evenings now. We could actually meet somewhere in the middle. Patchogue comes to mind, they have at least one brewpub, and Bobbique has an extensive beer list.
Sounds good. We're tied up the next two weekends ... boat ride and then vacation, but after that ....