Super Bowl Beer Time!

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Super Bowl Beer Time!

Post by JimH »

Well, folks, it might seem early, but I just realized that if I want to go 3 weeks fermenter and 8 weeks conditioning I need the Super Bowl beer to be my next batch. So, this is a little of a PSA, as well as my recipe thread. My SB beer is going to be a MB mod, and I am doing this for 2 reasons. It is the last can of the MB I have, and I got it for free. So, I am killing 2 birds with 1 stone, getting the last of the HME out of here, and since I got it for free, I don't see $20 bucks walk out the door when I bring 22 bottles to the party. The rest of the ingredients are laying around from previous batches, so again, not an upfront cost to see it go bye-bye. I am not set for sure on the recipe, so if you have feedback, let me know.

1 Can Classic American Light
1/4 lb Carapils Steeped
1/4 lb Honey Malt Steeped (experiment, I had bad experience with honey malt as a PM, so I am gonna steep it to see if it works out better that way)
1/2 lb light DME
1/4 oz Fuggle or Palisade @ 30

So, some of the people I anticipate to be at a SB party with are BMC drinkers, so this beer should not alienate them too much. Although, it is my parents, so they should just drink it and be happy I share with them after they didn't really like any of the other beers I have made.

Edit: Forgot to mention, going 8 weeks conditioning because I hear CAL needs a long time to taste good.
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
----------------------------------------
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:
Fermenter 1 (5 Gal Bucket): Empty :(
Fermenter 2 (1 gal.): Empty :(

On Deck:
Something?!
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Re: Super Bowl Beer Time!

Post by Ibasterd »

Forgot to mention, going 8 weeks conditioning because I hear CAL needs a long time to taste good.
I can attest to that. CAL was my first batch and it nearly turned me off to homebrewing because I tried it too early. It got a lot better with time. Hope your Super Bowl brew turns out great.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
ssorck
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by ssorck »

Ibasterd wrote:
Forgot to mention, going 8 weeks conditioning because I hear CAL needs a long time to taste good.
I can attest to that. CAL was my first batch and it nearly turned me off to homebrewing because I tried it too early. It got a lot better with time. Hope your Super Bowl brew turns out great.
So does that mean its 11 weeks +/- Super Bowl? Sheesh time is going by too fast...
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

It's that time! Finally getting to brew this up. Went with 4 oz. honey malt and 2 oz. Carapils. 1/2 lb Light DME. Going with Palisade hops, 1/4 at 22 and 1/4oz at 5. Hopefully this makes a good drinkable beer. I get to use up the can of CAL I obtained (free) and because of the CAL base my Bud drinking friends will be able to help me drink this.
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:

On Deck:
Something?!
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Good for you Jim! I bottled a Rare Vos Clone that I hope will be OK for Superbowl, and I'm bottling a NB Brickwarmer soon. Though I don't know if that will last until February. With no offense intended to fans of MrBeer, I've brewed my last batch of that I think. I have two HMEs left, a BrewDemon and a Brewferm. I may yet try others, though I really prefer BIAB, then extract+steeping grains+hops.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

Same here, John. I am pretty much done with the HME. I enjoy the process of creating a recipe and making it myself much more. Steeping grains and DME work really well for me. Using up this last can of HME eases my feeling of "loss" I might have had by bringing 20 some beers to a party to watch them all go in one afternoon. I am still a bit stingy with my beers, and not just with others. I found I still have about 6 of my Murican wheat ale left from when I brewed it in April. Not because it wasn't good, but because it was so good I didn't want to drink it all right away, so I forced myself not to drink it all. Lo and behold, I have some left!
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:

On Deck:
Something?!
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Another reason to make 5g batches. I still have four small fermenters, but lately I've been using them to split 5g batches with different yeasts, or spices. Then again, I may have screwed up the Rare Vos. It would hurt less if it were onlt 2 gallons!
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
asnider

Post by asnider »

JimH wrote:Forgot to mention, going 8 weeks conditioning because I hear CAL needs a long time to taste good.
I was wondering about that! It probably won't need 8 weeks since you're not doing it straight up (I think the additions will probably help "mask" the off taste that the CAL seems to have if you don't condition it long enough), but it'll still probably need at least 6 weeks. Obviously, going a full 8 can't hurt.
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

Whoa, asnider joined the forum? Sorry I missed it, but welcome. The conditioning time is why I did this beer so "early." Who wants to bring green beer to a party? No one, thats who.
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:

On Deck:
Something?!
asnider

Post by asnider »

JimH wrote:Whoa, asnider joined the forum? Sorry I missed it, but welcome. The conditioning time is why I did this beer so "early." Who wants to bring green beer to a party? No one, thats who.
I actually joined a while ago, but haven't posted for a long time. Life got busy and I wasn't able to brew for a while, but I'm back at it again. It's good to be brewing. :fedora: