What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by Kealia »

mashani wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:44 pm
berryman wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:30 pm
Kealia wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:36 pm Is it the More Beer kit? I've done that one a couple of times and it IS pretty darn close.
Yes. I like it and easy, APA is my favorite beer and that is a good combination.
Yeah, that kit is a good one. My experience with their Pliney the Elder clone kit was also good when I made that.
I'll second that, too. Mine lacked some aroma 'pop' of the original, but it was a damn good beer.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:21 pm
mashani wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:44 pm
berryman wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:30 pm
Yes. I like it and easy, APA is my favorite beer and that is a good combination.
Yeah, that kit is a good one. My experience with their Pliney the Elder clone kit was also good when I made that.
I'll second that, too. Mine lacked some aroma 'pop' of the original, but it was a damn good beer.
The only "original" I've had is not right from the brewery but bottles that have sat around for ?? amounts of time, so I have no idea what actual fresh from the brewery Pliney smells like. I bet it is nice though!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

mashani wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:37 am I brewed a beer with pale malt, 40L, and a bunch of Centennial that should be similar to Bells 2 Hearted IPA I think.
I bottled that, and brewed a Pale Ale with Centennial & Citra.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Brewed a Dunkel a week ago today 5/3 1.048 at 56 degs, last night started to raise temp, up and at 64 now and will leave it at that until maybe Friday, then bring back down low, keg and Lager.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

mashani wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:44 pm My experience with their Pliney the Elder clone kit was also good when I made that.
I have that kit coming, maybe be here tomorrow but not sure when I can brew it. Any suggestions on making it? I have 2 packs of Cellar science Cali yeast to use.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

It is going to come with a bunch of leaf hops. If I remember correctly, they are mash hops, if so throw them in your basket with the grains so you can get them outa there after the mash. There are a shit ton of pellet hops that go into the boil, so you may want to use a hop spider for some of them. I think I used a hop spider for half and did the other half commando, because I was comfortable with that amount. Some of the kits from other places come with hop extract to replace some of the hops, but the MoreBeer kit is nothing but hops and lots of them.

The mash itself isn't a big deal there really isn't that much grain as some of the OG is from sugar. In that regards it's a lot like brewing a Triple. That all easily fits in the M&B.

Note that I have since become comfortable with a higher amount of commando hops, so use your own judgement there. Just make sure the leaf hops get out of there as those will plug up the spigot, and that's no fun.
bpgreen
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by bpgreen »

mashani wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:50 am It is going to come with a bunch of leaf hops. If I remember correctly, they are mash hops
You're probably already aware of this, but just in case you forgot, if you make dog biscuits with your spent grains, Don't do it with grains that had hops in the mash, since hops can be deadly for dogs (some dogs don't have any problem with them, but I would err on the side of caution and not take any chances.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

bpgreen wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 8:05 pm
You're probably already aware of this, but just in case you forgot, if you make dog biscuits with your spent grains, Don't do it with grains that had hops in the mash, since hops can be deadly for dogs (some dogs don't have any problem with them, but I would err on the side of caution and not take any chances.
This batch will be feed to the chickens.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Just got the order today, that was slow for Morebeer, it came by the postman instead of Fedex. I wasn't in a hurry anyways. A lot of hops, that will be fun to brew.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I bought some Sahti malt from MoreBeer, mixed that with a bit crystal rye malt and brewed a beer with that, and a smidgeon of Centennial and Hallertau hops and some crushed up juniper berries (I could not get any Fronds that I could be sure to be chemical free). I also don't have any Finnish bakers yeast on hand, so I used T-58.

So it will not really be a Sahti, but more of a Sahti like substance. But still should be good.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Brewed the Pliny clone today, all was good but a couple points under but am ok with that because I knew I was a touch over volume. I forsee that being a good beer. Pitched 68 and set on 67 degs. 90 min boil recipes get me sometime.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Smells amazing with all the hops in it already, doesn't it?
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Kealia wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:34 pm Smells amazing with all the hops in it already, doesn't it?
Yes, would make Beerlord proud.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Commando'd 5 freaking oz. today on the dry hop Ha Ha, going to cold crash and should settle out some. Will see.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yeah, that's going to leave a very large pile of hops in the fermenter!