Maris Otter and Falconer's Flight SMaSH

Share a BIAB recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

wollffy
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Re: Maris Otter and Falconer's Flight SMaSH

Post by wollffy »

JimH wrote:So, I have been wanting to do an all grain batch, and I have a 1 gallon fermenter that is perfect for BIAB "experimental" batches. I was thinking of doing up a SMaSH just to learn a little more. Never used MO, but I hear it's good. I don't know if it is good for IPA's though. And of course, Falconer's is one of my favorite hops, so I thought it would be nice to try this out. I don't have a specific recipe, I was just trying to get some ideas for an AG approach. Something like 2-3 lbs of grains, and FF to the bitterness level I feel like achieving. Right now I am drinking an Imperial IPA, so that might be pushing me want to just amp up the FF and hop my face off. Maybe Beer-lord or the other hop heads can talk me over the edge, or someone else more moderate can talk me off of it.
What is SMaSH?
Single malt and single hops only?
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

wollffy wrote:
JimH wrote:So, I have been wanting to do an all grain batch, and I have a 1 gallon fermenter that is perfect for BIAB "experimental" batches. I was thinking of doing up a SMaSH just to learn a little more. Never used MO, but I hear it's good. I don't know if it is good for IPA's though. And of course, Falconer's is one of my favorite hops, so I thought it would be nice to try this out. I don't have a specific recipe, I was just trying to get some ideas for an AG approach. Something like 2-3 lbs of grains, and FF to the bitterness level I feel like achieving. Right now I am drinking an Imperial IPA, so that might be pushing me want to just amp up the FF and hop my face off. Maybe Beer-lord or the other hop heads can talk me over the edge, or someone else more moderate can talk me off of it.
What is SMaSH?
Single malt and single hops only?
Correct
wollffy
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by wollffy »

Thanks GymRat.
These sound like some yummy brew types.
bcltoys

Post by bcltoys »

I'm going to make a smash this week-end Maris Otter and Amarillo. 2.5 gallon batch with 8# of Mo and 2oz of amarillo .50 at 60min,.50 at 30min,.50 at 5min,.50 dry hop at 21 day's or so then bottle at 28 day's or so. If it turn's out Falconer will be up next.
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Hey JimH. How did this turn out? I am planning on almost an identical SMaSH. Phill was helping me out. Would love to know how yours turned out. I will have to come up with a different name besides MOFF diver though.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

It turned out fantastic. I had a hiccup with the all grain experience, but it still turned out well. Very smooth and simple, but since Falconer's is a blend of several varieties, it added a "simple complexity" if that is even a real term. I liked it and the MO backbone was perfect for the FF.
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
----------------------------------------
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:
Fermenter 1 (5 Gal Bucket): Empty :(
Fermenter 2 (1 gal.): Empty :(

On Deck:
Something?!
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

JimH wrote:It turned out fantastic. I had a hiccup with the all grain experience, but it still turned out well. Very smooth and simple, but since Falconer's is a blend of several varieties, it added a "simple complexity" if that is even a real term. I liked it and the MO backbone was perfect for the FF.
Sweet! That is encouraging. What hop schedule did you end up using? Would you consider it ending up resembling an IPA of sorts?
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
JimH
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by JimH »

I did 60 minute boil. 1/4 each for a FWH, 30, 15, 5. It wasn't quite the IIPA I was shooting for, but it was a good IPA.
Jimbo Homebrew Co.
----------------------------------------
Drinking:
Keg1:
Keg2:
Keg3:
Bottled:
Nothing!
Fermenting:
Fermenter 1 (5 Gal Bucket): Empty :(
Fermenter 2 (1 gal.): Empty :(

On Deck: