Cowboy Golden Lager and fruit?

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

blaxbear

Cowboy Golden Lager and fruit?

Post by blaxbear »

I just brewed up cowboy golden Lager from an old Mr. Beer kit, and I want to add raspberries and a little honey. When is best to add the berries to get a good raspberry flavor without it overpowering the beer?
Bottled/Drinking: BD Brown, BD Stout, #1 Blaxbear's WIPA (I'm Not Too Hoppy About This)
Brewing: A DIPA without enough hops...
Mulling Over: Irish Red, Oktoberfest, English Pale Ale
LouieMacGoo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cowboy Golden Lager and fruit?

Post by LouieMacGoo »

:bbwelc: We're glad you found us! Adding fruit and/or honey can be tricky and it really depends on what your trying to accomplish by adding those things. If this your first brew I would really suggest keeping it as is so you can get a good idea of what the base beer will taste like. Also know that fruit and honey have natural bacteria in them that contaminate your beer if no pasteurized first.

If you haven't read it already I would really suggest reading the blog post on the main part of the website by FedoraDave http://www.beerborg.com/index/2013/09/d ... i-presume/

Cheers, good luck and again welcome!
Worrying can spoil the taste of beer more then anything else! ~ Charles Papazian

Find out more about Yeast, Hops, Grains and Cleaning & Sanitizing
Whats Brewing

Fermenting:

#40 - Citra-Nilla Cream Ale IPA - Brewed:9/20/15

Conditioning:
#39 - Dead Fly IPA - Brewed: 8/29/15 Bottled: 9/27/15
#38 - Apricot Hefeweizen (Colab w/Adam at SOL)- Brewed: 8/8/15

Drinking
#36 - Summer Wheat: Oberon Clone - Brewed: 7/11/15
#37 - Hickory Bourbon Honey Porter - Brewed: 7/18/15
#33 - Younger No. 1 Scottish Strong Ale - Brewed: 3/29/15
#28 - Hard Mulled Cider, Brewed 10/11/14 Kegged
#29 - Strawberry Lime Cider, Brewed/10/19/14 Kegged

Gone
#34 - Second Runnings IPA - Brewed: 3/29/15
#32 - Harvest Nugget Smash v2 (TBD) Brewed 11/27/14
#35 - Columbus Pale Ale - Brewed: 5/02/15
RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Post by RandyG »

Hey there, Just my 2 centavos,but I have brewed 2 batches(both 5er's) in which I used McCormick's liquid flavorings and have had sucess with both. Both were wheat beers ,one I used an ounce bottle of lemon and the other an ounce of orange.Both were de-lish. I also brewed a Nut Brown ale with hazelnut flavoring which was a regular Mr. Beer sized (2.13 gal.)batch and it turned out great. I add the flavorings via the airlock hole after the 1st week of fermenting.Maybe you could try that route instead of fooling with the real fruit. Good luck either way........ :fedora: ps. as a matter of fact I checked and McCormick's has raspberry extract. :)
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Good advice already given, so I will just say...

Welcome to the Borg!

:welcome: :borg:
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

Agree with what's been said. IF you're going to add fruit, Mr. Beer recipes use Oregon fruit, which you can usually find in your supermarket. One week into fermentation, blend in a sanitized blender and GENTLY pour into the LBK, trying to stir up things as little as possible. Open the lid, gently pour, close the lid. Raspberries seem to be the best fruit addition I've tried, better flavor than cherries or blueberries.

As to honey - it won't add honey flavor. It thins the beer and raises ABV. Explore steeping honey malt next time to add that flavor, unless you are trying to thin the beer and add ABV.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
blaxbear

Post by blaxbear »

Thanks for replying, everybody! :thanks:

I'm brand new to the borg, but I have been lurking on the (kinda terrible...) Mr. Beer forums for a couple months. I have brewed the West Coast Pale Ale, Canadian High Country Draft, Bewitched Red Ale, Whispering Wheat, and I have the American blond ale that is currently conditioning. Thanks for pointing me to Fedora Dave's post! I will say that I am all for sticking to the recipe until I have an idea of what the base beer tastes like, but I'm really interested in branching out and I figured fruit would be a cheap place to start. I may look into the McCormick flavors, but would those impact color at all? Anyway, if you all think it's a bad idea, I'll hold off on it. :cheers:
Bottled/Drinking: BD Brown, BD Stout, #1 Blaxbear's WIPA (I'm Not Too Hoppy About This)
Brewing: A DIPA without enough hops...
Mulling Over: Irish Red, Oktoberfest, English Pale Ale
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

If you read Dave's post, what he says is don't get crazy to start with. Brew "by the recipe". Well, Mr. Beer recipes start with a can of HME, then you add "STUFF". The problem is, when you don't like it, is it the "STUFF" or is it the base? So his point is make the base. Decide if you like it. Then, start altering it.

If you look at the recipe section on the Mr. Beer site, some of the bases have lots of recipes, but many are similar. Add cherries. Then another is add cherries and honey. Then another is add cherries, honey, and booster. If you do the last one, and the beer is what you thought, is it because of the cherries, the honey, or the booster?

Now, some flavors you add TO THE BOTTLE at bottling time. So, you COULD put flavor in 1/2 the bottles and nothing in the other 1/2. Then compare.

Or, you can brew a batch of XYZ, then XYZ with honey and compare them. Or XYZ with fruit and compare them. Now you know what the change did to it.

Adding Oregon Fruit raspberries will turn the beer darker since you're adding red. :whistle: Adding honey won't change the color. And won't taste like honey.
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)