Galaxy

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Galaxy

Post by Kealia »

I tried a SMaSH yesterday at a small local brewery that used Galaxy hops and here are my thoughts:

Aroma: Solid "A". these have a bright, floral and passion-fruit-forward smell that you could just spend all day taking in. These would be great for dry hopping an APA, IPA or even a Belgian.

Taste: Hard to say so I'm going to call it a "B-". The first sip was awesome but as I drank more of it (just a 6oz sample) it became a bit lemony and almost astringent. To be fair I didn't get a chance to talk to the brewer about the actual recipe so it could have just been that they used more for the bittering addition that I prefer (it was an APA).

What I can say is that if you like something like Sorachi Ace, you'll likely think these are good, too. They actually would likely pair well with Sorachi Ace if you're looking for a lemony-citrus addition in your beer.

I don't know that I'll go searching for them, but I could see using these if I come across them. Hmmm, maybe I'll do something outside the box and use them in an Amber at some point......

In any case, thought I would share.

Cheers.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Galaxy

Post by Gymrat »

Tallgrass brewery here in Kansas uses Galaxy hops in their 8 bit pale ale and it is absolutely delicious. But they don't single hop that beer.

From their website
8-Bit

Style: Hop-Rocketed American Pale Ale
ABV: 5.2%
IBU: 40
Full Brew Birthday: March 2012
Interesting fact: Named the official beer of retro-gamers

Just like those classic video games we all grew up with, 8-Bit Pale Ale seems spectacularly simple at first, yet remarkably fun and complex when you get into it.

Our Hop-Rocket* infuses the character of Austrailian grown Galaxy Hops into an American Pale Ale, giving a unique tropical, almost melon aroma in a classic American style.

*a hop-rocket is the stainless steel vessel that we use to cycle the beer through Galaxy Hops for 6 hours before we send the beer to you. This adds extra hop oils, tastes and aroma, not gained in the normal brewing process.

Malts: 2 Row, Victory, Vienna & Munich
Hops: Magnum, Centennial, Cascade & Galaxy
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Thanks for the reports.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Thanks for the information. I'll have to look into using some Galaxy.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Chris, this would bring an interesting dimension to your Four Point Pale Ale.
I don't mean that it NEEDS it, mind you - but if you want to try something different in terms of aroma.