Wee Heavy Mod

Recipes based in Mr. Beer extracts and refills.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

RandyG
Brew Fool
Brew Fool

Wee Heavy Mod

Post by RandyG »

HeyAll, I'm thinking about doing the Wee Heavy recipe. I brewed it before and wasn't satisfied,although I didn't add the butterscotch schnapps.Instead I added a 50ml bottle of Chivas Regal scotch.The whole mess was barely drinkable,(but I did),so I was wondering if I modified it somewhat and added say maybe 5-10 of those butterscotch candies,pulverized,into the wort about halfway through.They are sugar,Do you think it would hurt or help the brew? TIA RandyG.
Bluejaye
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: Wee Heavy Mod

Post by Bluejaye »

Wee Heavy? Or Heavy McWee? Just wondering how butterscotch is something you are considering in the first place, since I'm not seeing anything about adding anything to the Mr. Beer "Heavy McWee" recipe.
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

I think it would hurt the brew. Why not just use the schnapps it recipe calls for?
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
ba1980

Post by ba1980 »

In my scottish wee heavy I did according to the instructions except I added a lot more butterscotch schnapps (1 TB after a week) then 2 or 3 more TBs at bottling. It took it close to a year to become drinkable. I need to try it again since it has been 11 months or 1 year since bottling. I've got enough old Mr. B ingredients to make another 2 or 3 batches, but I'm not sure if I want to if it takes that long.
Gymrat
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Gymrat »

Scotch is some nasty tasting stuff. I don't know why you would add that to any beer. I would skip the butterscotch candies too. They are fermentable and won't taste the same as the butterscotch schnapps. Just completely skip the whole addition if you don't have the right ingredient.