Blonde / Cream Ale Adventure

Share a basic extract recipe that you like or want to get feedback from the Borg.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

mashani
mashani
mashani

Re: Blonde / Cream Ale Adventure

Post by mashani »

There was some dude here recently where the cops found a potato cannon in his garage and the tried to charge him with being a "terrorist" or something.

I hate to think what they would have thought of me and my drunk friends back in the day.

More OT: Little Kings rate 80 at Beer Advocate, so apparently they are pretty decent example of the style. So being as good or better is a good thing.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

I'd love to get some, like I said I haven't seen it since I was in Illinois back before 1980. Just don't see it down here in Atlanta.

Yes there is a comment on Amazon about a potato gun for sale there being considered a 'fire arm' in some places. I don't even want to go into the gun power mill me and a buddy made in high school, and the pipe bombs we blew up out in the country. Man, we would have been so in jail now-a-days. But we were just curious and figured out how to make GP and gun cotton (real easy like cotton balls and nitric acid which we 'borrowed' from the high school chem lab with the teacher in cahoots) So we had fun. We did all our tests out in the country and used the raised train tracks as our protection (put explosives on one side - run like hell to the other at first, then we used the rocket igniter thing from the an Estes rocket launcher - that eliminated the 'run like hell' part)

Monty
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

OK, I got a chance to make a quick batch to keep the pipeline filled, but I did sneak in a little experiment. The other Blonde Ale had a great head nice lacing and all that, so I threw in 1 oz of oatmeal in with the hops in my spider and did a first wort hop kind of thing. I bet I get some nice stuff to make the head fluffy. Other than that unorthodoxy, just a regular old blond ale:

Recipe: Blonde Ale 5
Brewer: Dog Breath
Asst:
Style: Blonde Ale
Type: Extract

Brewed: 04 May 2014
Bottle: 25 May 2014
Drink: 22 Jun 2014

Batch Size: 2.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.040 SG
Measured OG: 1.042 SG
Estimated FG: 1.008 SG
Measured FG: 1.010 SG
Estimated ABV: 4.2 %
Measured ABV: 4.2 %
Boil Time: 15 Minutes
Color: 6.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.25 gal Atlanta, GA Water 1 -
0.11 Items Campden Tablet (Mash 0.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
1.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Adjunct 3 2.4 %
0.13 tsp Amylase Enzyme (Mash 60.0 mins) Other 4 -
1.00 oz Northdown [7.00 %] - First Wort 8.0 min Hop 5 22.4 IBUs
1 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 6 39.0 %
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 8.0 mins) Fining 7 -
2.00 Items Fermcap-S (Boil 8.0 mins) Other 8 -
2.70 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 mins) Other 9 -
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 0.1 mins) Other 10 -
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 11 -
1 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 12 48.8 %
4.0 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 13 9.8 %

It's cooling in the sink. OG Updated.

Monty
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Alrighty - got another one done. This ones just a simple smash really. All golden light DME and Hallertau. Man is DME way faster than LME. So much easier to work with. Got my 50lbs of Pilsner from LabelPeelers today. 2.5 bucks a pound. So real happy about that. Anyway, off topic. Just trying to stuff the pipeline with homebrew for the summer.

Recipe: Blonde Ale 6
Asst:

Brewed: 06 May 2014
Bottle: 27 May 2014
Drink: 24 Jun 2014

Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Measured OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated FG: 1.011 SG
Estimated ABV: 4.7 %
Measured ABV: 4.7 %
Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.10 %] - First Wort 15.0 m Hop 3 20.5 IBUs
1 lbs DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 41.3 %
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 8.0 mins) Fining 5 -
2.00 Items Fermcap-S (Boil 8.0 mins) Other 6 -
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 7 -
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 8 -
1 lbs 4.0 oz DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 9 51.7 %
2.7 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 10 7.0 %
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Alrighty, got to try out the second of the Blonde Ales last night. This one has Sterling hops, which I have never tried before. Other than that, it is Light DME + Munich LME + Pale LME + a little honey. Came in at 4.5% ABV. I thought it tasted pretty good. Don't know if I'll use those hops again, but this was good. I drank a whole liter of it. Burp. :) The Carapils and maltodextrine made a very nice head and mouthfeel.
BLondeAle2.jpg
BLondeAle2.jpg (54.9 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
I also got another batch bottled. This was the Blonde Ale 4 Sorachi Ace, with munich, Rye, and Pale LME. The sample tasted really interesting. The rye came through wonderfully. I think I will like this one too. 4.7% ABV

Monty
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

OK just bottled up the Cream Ale 5. hit the est fg pretty much right on at 1.010. 4.7% ABV The sample tasted great. More to report in about a month on that one. :)

Monty
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

monsteroyd wrote:Alrighty - got another one done. This ones just a simple smash really. All golden light DME and Hallertau. Man is DME way faster than LME. So much easier to work with. Got my 50lbs of Pilsner from LabelPeelers today. 2.5 bucks a pound. So real happy about that. Anyway, off topic. Just trying to stuff the pipeline with homebrew for the summer.

Recipe: Blonde Ale 6
Asst:

Brewed: 06 May 2014
Bottle: 27 May 2014
Drink: 24 Jun 2014

Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Measured OG: 1.046 SG
Estimated FG: 1.011 SG
Estimated ABV: 4.7 %
Measured ABV: 4.7 %
Color: 3.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.10 %] - First Wort 15.0 m Hop 3 20.5 IBUs
1 lbs DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 41.3 %
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 8.0 mins) Fining 5 -
2.00 Items Fermcap-S (Boil 8.0 mins) Other 6 -
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 7 -
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Other 8 -
1 lbs 4.0 oz DME Golden Light (Briess) (4.0 SRM) Dry Extract 9 51.7 %
2.7 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 10 7.0 %
Hey Roy,

Not sure if it was you intention or not. But what you made here is really close to a Corona clone. Sounds good!
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Interesting, well other than the Corona is a lager, I guess it could be. I was just knocking out a fast blonde ale. :)

Just finished bottling Blonde Ale 5 Windors (I gotta get a name generator), came it right at what it was supposed to, 5% abv. can't wait to try the Windsor after it is carbed. The sample tasted great.

Monty
BeerRust
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by BeerRust »

monsteroyd wrote:Interesting, well other than the Corona is a lager, I guess it could be. I was just knocking out a fast blonde ale. :)

Just finished bottling Blonde Ale 5 Windors (I gotta get a name generator), came it right at what it was supposed to, 5% abv. can't wait to try the Windsor after it is carbed. The sample tasted great.

Monty
Hallertua is very mild tasting Hop.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Yes I like Hallertau. I always have some. But I need to use up some Belma, Citra, and Sorachi ace, because I have about a pound of each. :o

Ok Last night I finished off (before sitting down to watch GOT with a Blonde Ale 2) with a partial mash for a brew I hope to get done tonight. I am really on the fence about mashing, as I am not very good at it, but I had to mash the flaked rice, so I put 1 lb flaked rice, 2 tsp amylase enzyme, 1/2 lb of 6 row, and split the remaining 1/2 lb between Carapils, CaraRed, Honey Malt, and some C-10. Kind of a mishmash there, but just trying to use stuff up. Anyway I let it mash starting at about 153-ish in my pot in my styrofoam cooler and left it sit all though GOT, so it mashed almost 2 hours. It was still warm, about 140, when I drained the bag of grain. I tasted it and it was sweet, but not like candy sweet. I was expecting really sweet. I put that in the frig for tonight's Rice Cream ale.

More to follow as I settle on the recipe for the Rice Cream Ale (kind of like ice cream ale - get it? maybe I can name beers. hmm...)

Monty
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Tonight I got a chance to make another cream ale. (EDIT:Rice Cream Ale - love the name) The recipe is http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/ ... bf54b5efef. Hopefully you can get to it. I just discovered this, so it would be really nice if I could just link to the recipe. Please try it, PM me if it doesn't work. Thanks.

Just waiting for the wort to cool and I'll update with the final gravity.

EDIT:The OG was 1.050, and I usually nail the est OG, which was 1.045, so BeerSmith didn't give me enough credit for my partial mash. Ha! Finally a good mash. I did let that sit for a couple of hours and then into the frig for a day, so the enzymes had their chance on whatever was in there. So an est 5.2% instead of 4.7 - close enuff

Monty
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Just a quick note that I am not dead (yet). Nor have I abandoned this thread. I am remodeling the basement into a brew pub, and I have yet to bottle a couple of LBK's or make/brew anything new. Oh, and I have about 50 tons (literally) of mulch to spread too. Dang Summer!

Monty
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

monsteroyd wrote:Oh, and I have about 50 tons (literally) of mulch to spread too. Dang Summer!
Monty
I see a lot of lawnmower beer in your future.
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Not unless I get off my butt and squeeze some brewing / bottling in between the painting and spreading :)

Monty
monsteroyd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by monsteroyd »

Well I FINALLY got one of the LBKs bottle last night. It sat on the trub 65+ days - Wow!. But the last 30 it was in the frig crashing, and boy do you ever get a clear beer after cold crashing for a month. The sample tasted ok to, so hopefully all I did was make really clear beer. Oh and the FG dropped to 1.004, from a project 1.010 So this ended up at 5.5 % when it was supposed to be 4.7% This is just a simple blonde with about 15 ibu, Light Golden DME and Hallertau with S-04 yeast.

Monty