What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Vent, Rant, Chat or just talk about whatever is on your mind! Keep it civil though!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: What are you brewing/bottling/kegging?

Post by Kealia »

mashani wrote:Bottled that smacked chocolate orange stout. Sample tasted good!
I'm seriously intrigued by this.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:
mashani wrote:Bottled that smacked chocolate orange stout. Sample tasted good!
I'm seriously intrigued by this.

I've done it before, it's never disappointed. Just start with your favorite chocolate stout recipe, and then add the bitter orange to the boil.

Anyway, today I brewed an "Oak Smoked Kolsch", which is just a plain old Kolsch recipe where I would have used 1# of wheat malt, but instead I used 1# of oak smoked wheat malt. It will not be very strongly smoke flavored at all, that stuff has a very mild flavor.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

I've got a recipe for a milk stout.....you think it needs to specifically have chocolate added?
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Kealia wrote:I've got a recipe for a milk stout.....you think it needs to specifically have chocolate added?
No.

But if it has a bitter chocolate vibe it will be more like a "dark chocolate smacked orange".

The milk stout version will be like a "milk chocolate smacked orange".

So it just depends on which kind your going for.

Also, I think I would use sweet orange peel or orange zest instead of bitter orange peel in a milk stout version.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Thanks for the tip!
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Brewed a Dunkelweizen today. I have been using the bpgreen idea. Not a overnight mash this time but mashed in at 8:30 went and did some stuff needed to do and 4 hours later did the sparge and made the beer. This is so much better then waiting for the next step. This electric brewing gets better all the time. I haven’t done the numbers yet but came out a little higher then they planned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Nice! A dunkel was one of the first beers I did on my M&B because it allowed me to do a step-mash. That beer turned out great and I've been thinking of doing another.... but I have so many beers I want to do!

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

My next batch is actually going to be a Dunkle. Got the grains measured and ready to go as soon as I'm able to do it.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Kealia wrote:Nice! A dunkel was one of the first beers I did on my M&B because it allowed me to do a step-mash. That beer turned out great and I've been thinking of doing another.... but I have so many beers I want to do!
mashani wrote:My next batch is actually going to be a Dunkle. Got the grains measured and ready to go as soon as I'm able to do it.
Borg minds think a like :) :clink:
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

Yesterday, started a maibock, did not get to finish it. Grain-father took a dump on me. It did fine through the mash but when it came to boil time, heating coil (me thunks) died. Now it won't heat, period. Dug out/cleaned off cobwebs and got the mega pot fired up and finished it (mostly) today. The pot is sitting in the work-shop, cooling down as I have no water to chill with in there. Tomorrow, into the carboy.... this turned out to be way more work than anticipated.... LOL Life goes on and I will have to refresh myself on non-elec/non-wifi brewing. :-)
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
TonyKZ1
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by TonyKZ1 »

TonyKZ1 wrote:This morning I brewed an Nut Brown Ale 5G Extract w/steeping grains recipe from Midwest Supplies / Northern Brewer. I've brewed a few Brown Ales before, but not this recipe. But I imagine it'll be as good as the others.

I got this bottled Saturday, it went pretty smooth. The sample tasted good, so in a few weeks, I'll chill it and start enjoying it. :fedora:
Bailey's Billy Goat Brews
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FrozenInTime wrote: Grain-father took a dump on me. It did fine through the mash but when it came to boil time, heating coil (me thunks) died. Now it won't heat, period.
FIT, Is there a reset on the Grain-Father? Also one time I had a main wire connection burn off the Mash and Boil and was a simple fix.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime
FrozenInTime

Post by FrozenInTime »

berryman wrote:
FrozenInTime wrote: Grain-father took a dump on me. It did fine through the mash but when it came to boil time, heating coil (me thunks) died. Now it won't heat, period.
FIT, Is there a reset on the Grain-Father? Also one time I had a main wire connection burn off the Mash and Boil and was a simple fix.
While cleaning it today, I found a tiny black button under it. Looks like a little nib (?) from the molding jig. I pressed on it for sngs and it moved in like a reset. I just plugged it in, and it started heating. Going to put some water in and heat to boiling if she will do it. I'm very happy that is all it was... I hope. Got fingers crossed. :-)
Life is short, live it to it's fullest!
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Was anything scorched to the bottom of that grainfather? That is normally what would trigger the reset on a Mash & Boil.

Some of the Mash & Boils came with a fiddly sensor that would trigger more easily / for almost no reason at all, and a replacement sensor is something like $5 at Williams Brewing and fixes that right up. I don't know if there is such a thing for the Grainfather though.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

FrozenInTime wrote: While cleaning it today, I found a tiny black button under it. Looks like a little nib (?) from the molding jig. I pressed on it for sngs and it moved in like a reset. I just plugged it in, and it started heating. Going to put some water in and heat to boiling if she will do it. I'm very happy that is all it was... I hope. Got fingers crossed.
Hope so and I bet. It is fairly common on the M&B and I have had it happen a few times. Mostly if get residue on the bottom. I know on the M&B not the easiest to find or push to reset. Good luck and fingers crossed.
Happy Hound Brewery

― Thomas A. Edison