The year of the yeast!

Strange little beasties, get info about different yeasts and how to use them.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: The year of the yeast!

Post by Kealia »

Nope, there will be no waiting. I'm swinging by MoreBeer today on the way home.
I'll just grab some because if I don't use it on this, I'll use it on something else soon.
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

Patience is a virtue. But, I can say, I've used 3 or Imperial yeasts before this one and will rarely use any other yeast unless it's summer, hot and I have to use something else from my LHBS. They don't sell Imperial.
By the way, for the first time ever, Morebeer waited 2 days to ship an order for me. Never happened before. Normally within a few hours I get a tracking number. Guess I was spoiled. Complain for me and maybe they'll give you the yeast for free. Plus, I'm jealous that your LHBS is Morebeer!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

I have nothing but good things to say about Imperial and Omega yeasts.
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

Yep, I've used a number of Imperial yeasts so far and been pretty happy. Unless they don't have this, I'm going to grab some.
berryman
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by berryman »

Beer-lord wrote: By the way, for the first time ever, Morebeer waited 2 days to ship an order for me. Never happened before. Normally within a few hours I get a tracking number.

Mash turned me on to Morebeer and one of the best places to go. I made a order on Thurs. afternoon and it was here Sat.
mashani wrote:I have nothing but good things to say about Imperial and Omega yeasts.
I used a Omega lager strain last year and was very good.
Happy Hound Brewery

“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
― Thomas A. Edison
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

After I keg a beer and it's been sitting for 2 days, I pull off a bit to get rid of the funk that settles to the bottom. I did that today and it smells wonderful!
It's full of funk but the taste was not following the smell but in reality, I'm glad because I want to see what the Sabro hops do. I've already mentioned it wasn't the smartest thing to do to try a new yeast and a new hop and new rye malt. But the good news is that I have more of all so I can try these again. Honestly, I really don't care as long as it tastes good. And now, it smells good too.
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black
Kealia
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Kealia »

And my question was a moot point - - they were sold out of DryHop! Flagship it is.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I'm almost done with the recipe for my Sabro recipe. Just have to figure the water profile. I'll post in a new thread when its done.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Beer-lord

Post by Beer-lord »

I figured I'd update this thread with more yeast stuff. I enjoyed trying out different yeasts so much last year and I felt it and Mecca Grade malt took my beers to places I've enjoyed, that I would continue that this year.
Already I've used Denny's 1450 in a stout this week, a yeast I've not used in 3-4 years. Ordered and got some Wyeast 1335 British Ale II to try it in both an English 'type' IPA as well as in a pale ale to see what it offers.
Hope to try some Kviek (sp) yeast when I get thru all the yeast I already paid for so that may not be until the summer so I hope they still have some by then.
Oh, and I'm always trying new hops and have Cashmere and Medusa to try out soon. I just can't seem to brew enough to get to it all!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
Up Next
Men In Black