Where do you ferment?

Trying to figure out what equipment you need to get for your next brew? Have something cool to share? Do it here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Where do you ferment?

Post by Brewbirds »

Brian N- wrote:Keep my fermenting and conditioning down in the basement. Fall through Spring the temperature ranges from 62-68. Summer temperatures are above 70 because I need to run a dehumidifier, so brewing has to wait until the heat and humidity break.
If you don't get to high into 70s you might be able to brew in summer. My brother picked up a yeast called Mauribrew that is good in higher temps.

You might post on the yeast section if you want to brew in the summer where you are. :cheers:
Sibling Brewers
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

BrewBirds.... as you know, we are a resourseful bunch.... this can be done in any size area...

I happen to enjoy woodworking as well. I made a rolling work bench, so I have mobility. Since I only used the bottom to store things that could be stored elsewhere, I cleared it out, and enclosed it with wood, mainly an old door. I cut a hole to fit a window a/c unit. When set to energy saver, it circulates the air to sample the temp, but rarely has to "condition" due to the small area. An old closet can work, the possibilities are limited by your imagination... and sometimes wallet. I feel the electrical cost to be minimum, a fan takes little power. I can set to any temp the a/c is capable of. I ferment and condition in there. Right now, you can see the pail, but there is also a 5 gal corny, and about 2 cases with room to spare.
Attachments
fermenting chamber (472x640).jpg
fermenting chamber (472x640).jpg (183.26 KiB) Viewed 878 times
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

That's cool. As far as the cost to run it or anything else, check with your library. Ours loans out a bunch of things including three different measuring devices for electric usage. You can get one for free and check everything in your house and learn the real cost to operate over a period of time.

I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Certificate in Brewing and Distillation Technology

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
My Beer - click to reveal
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone
Irish Hills Red - I call this "Ann Arbor Red"
Mackinac Island Red - I call this "Michigan Red"
Oatmeal Stout - I call this Not Fat, Stout - Oatmeal Stout

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Brewed in lifetime - 282.14 gallons
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Average cost per 12 pack through all beer brewed - $6.27(ingredients only)
Brewbirds
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by Brewbirds »

mtsoxfan wrote:BrewBirds.... as you know, we are a resourseful bunch.... this can be done in any size area...

I happen to enjoy woodworking as well. I made a rolling work bench, so I have mobility. Since I only used the bottom to store things that could be stored elsewhere, I cleared it out, and enclosed it with wood, mainly an old door. I cut a hole to fit a window a/c unit. When set to energy saver, it circulates the air to sample the temp, but rarely has to "condition" due to the small area. An old closet can work, the possibilities are limited by your imagination... and sometimes wallet. I feel the electrical cost to be minimum, a fan takes little power. I can set to any temp the a/c is capable of. I ferment and condition in there. Right now, you can see the pail, but there is also a 5 gal corny, and about 2 cases with room to spare.
Thanks for the pic. While I don't consider myself a DIY type I've got an old rear projection TV that is impossible to get rid of so I was thinking I might be able to gut it, put in some shelves, line it insulation foam panels and use an RV fridge compressor or AC unit to cool it. Not having a clue about refrigeration or electrical stuff it is still just another beer gear dream at the moment.
Sibling Brewers
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

Like the repurposing... and it would be kinda cool. A moving blanket on outside would be easy too, although not as easy on the eyes...
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

I'm another of the ice chest club. Don't have a basement, which makes me sad. Don't have the resources right now for a dedicated fridge with Johnson Controller. The house stays at about 72 pretty consistently. During fermentation, I found the LBK contents getting up to the low 80's, so I started using ice chests, buying a couple at a time as I could afford. I put them wherever I can find a spot that doesn't make my wife mad and I change out the bottles about every 12 hours for the first week, then let it go after that. Already have all my temp sensitive ingredients and conditioning beer stacked up in a crowded office and all my equipment and bottles along a wall in the garage. I should be more organized, but I'm not.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

This is priceless.

Question - where do you ferment?

Answer - I put them wherever I can find a spot that doesn't make my wife mad.

Joe is the only honest one in the entire forum! :lol:
I have over 9,000 posts on "another forum", which means absolutely nothing. Mr. Beer January 2014 Brewer of the Month with all the pomp and circumstance that comes with it...

Sites to find beer making supplies: Adventures in Homebrewing - Mr. Beer - MoreBeer
Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone

Bottled 5 gallons of Ann Arbor Red on 4/18/17. Bottled 5 gallons of Michigan Red on 5/8/17.

Brewed in 2017 - 22.13 gallons (19.91 in 2012, 48.06 in 2013, 61.39 in 2014, 84.26 in 2015,46.39 in 2016)
Drinkable beer on hand -  13.58 cases, with 6.11 cases ready in May and early June.
Wings_Fan_In_KC
Wings_KC
Wings_KC

Post by Wings_Fan_In_KC »

Since my new house has a wine chiller but its upstairs on the main floor.....I am now using the Omaha Steaks cooler method. I found with 2 regular sized frozen water bottles, I can keep the temp at 65 F if I keep the lid cracked a quarter inch. I stuck an instant read thermometer thru the thick Styrofoam for an ambient read.
I'm A Friggin' Hop Grenade !!
Crazy Dog Brewing
22.50 Gallons Brewed in 2014

Jan 6th: HCCD Mod II
Jan 27th: Diablo IPA Mod
Feb 18th: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod II
Mar 13th: Witty Monk Witbier Mod II
Moved in June disupting my brewing and pipeline
July 19th: OVL Mod II
Late Aug: Bewitched Amber Ale Mod
Oct: High Country Canadian Mod III
Nov: St Pat's Irish Stout/Vanilla Porter Mod
Dec: Pilothouse Pilsner Mod III
joechianti
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by joechianti »

Wings_Fan_In_KC wrote: .....I am now using the Omaha Steaks cooler method.
Those Omaha Steaks coolers are really something! We've got a few deliveries as gifts. They were small ones, but they were amazingly heavy duty
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I do my smaller 3 gallon batches in a mini fridge that sits in the garage with a temperature controller. Every once in a while if I dont' have kegs I need to keep cold in the regular beer fridge I'll set up a bigger batch or two in there with the temp controller. That's what I do over the summer. I brew more over the winter when life isn't as busy and I got more free time and what I do then is ferment out in the garage inside a wood armoir that I insulated a little with foil bubble wrap on the inside. I let mother nature keep things naturally cool over the colder months and hook up the temperature controller to run heat from a tiny space heater once in a while to keep temps where I want them. This works out nice and I'll do this with the armoir or the mini fridge depending on the batch size or sometimes double batches at one time.
Brew Strong My Friends...
JediJunkie247

Post by JediJunkie247 »

Ah, the age-old question.

For me, it's in a cooler in the corner. We live in a townhouse/condo, and space is at a premium. So I managed to get my loving wife to graciously allow me to have a small corner of our living room for my supplies. We have central heat and air, and typically keep the thermostat around 65. So, temperature control isn't really that big of a deal for me. And when I do need to use ice bottles, it doesn't end up being that much of a hassle. I manage to work it out to where I change the bottles when I come home in the morning (I work graveyard, get off at 5 a.m.), and before I leave for work in the evening. On my time off, it ends up being about the same rotation, because our fuzzy four-legged children (read: cats) begin wanting to be fed around the same times.

And it's worked pretty well for me over the last few years since I've been brewing. If space and finances allowed, I'd love to get even just a mini-fridge. But for the time being, I can settle for my current setup.
oly
Freshly Brewed
Freshly Brewed

Post by oly »

My wife would tell you I ferment wherever I happen to be sitting. The beer has options, depending on ambient temperature. Sometimes in a fridge with controller if there's room. Sometimes in a tub with water to keep it cool and stable. Sometimes in the office. One that was stuck lived near the fireplace wearing a plaid flannel shirt for a few weeks. I try to be flexible, and she's very patient with me. No basement, alas. Our water table is about 3 feet below ground.
mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Brewbirds wrote:
Brian N- wrote:Keep my fermenting and conditioning down in the basement. Fall through Spring the temperature ranges from 62-68. Summer temperatures are above 70 because I need to run a dehumidifier, so brewing has to wait until the heat and humidity break.
If you don't get to high into 70s you might be able to brew in summer. My brother picked up a yeast called Mauribrew that is good in higher temps.

You might post on the yeast section if you want to brew in the summer where you are. :cheers:
Use a Belgian yeast like 3787, or a Saison yeast. You can brew into the 80s with 3787, 90s with a Saison yeast.
Foothiller
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented
Location: Northern CA (Sierra foothills) / Interests: BJCP Certified

Post by Foothiller »

Yeast selection is one thing that you can use to cope if your available space has limitations. In addition to Belgian and Saison yeasts as mentioned, I have had acceptable results with Coopers ale yeast (in 7-gram gold packets, not the Fromunda or Downunda yeasts) with temperatures up to about 80. S-23 can get you through months that are less than ideal for regular ale yeasts.
RickBeer
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by RickBeer »

When I started last summer, I fermented in the pantry off our kitchen, sliding it under the bottom shelf. The house was air conditioned to 75 degrees, so the floor was cooler than that. In the winter I actually ran a small space heater to keep the temp in there at least 70 (before I knew that mid 60s was even better).

As it warmed up last spring, I moved my LBKs to the basement, which was around 62 and never got much above mid 60s - until the summer. Now, I plan to do all my fermenting down there. I haven't brewed since June 2nd, but am starting to chart out my next 4 batches (2 at a time) so I can pickup ingredients perhaps this weekend. Basement is still 70 or so, but the weather outlook is for evenings in the 40s and daytime barely cresting 70 so I think we're almost there.

Currently using 6 LBKs.

Beers I regularly brew:
Bell's Best Brown clone