Kolsch style and water profile

Ask about and share you All Grain techniques.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Re: Kolsch style and water profile

Post by MadBrewer »

Thanks Screwy. That is pretty much what I had in mind for the grain bill. I was going to with Pilsner, a touch of Vienna and a pinch of Carapils.
Brew Strong My Friends...
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

MadBrewer wrote:Thanks Screwy. That is pretty much what I had in mind for the grain bill. I was going to with Pilsner, a touch of Vienna and a pinch of Carapils.
@MadBrewer you're welcome. I hope you enjoy brewing this style as much as I did, it was a lot of fun learning more about this style having never brewed it before. :clink:
ezRecipe 'The easy way to awesome beer!'

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

MadBrewer wrote:Thanks Screwy. That is pretty much what I had in mind for the grain bill. I was going to with Pilsner, a touch of Vienna and a pinch of Carapils.
@MadBrewer were you ever able to brew your Kolsch this past weekend?

Yesterday my son in law, who is also an avid craft beer enthusiast, came over to visit. Together we gave this young batch of Kolsch a pretty thorough taste test. He seemed to really love the beer, he said so several times. Together we continued to drink them before and after dinner and into the early evening. It took time for my palate to develop an appreciation for fresh brewed beer. A pale golden colored beer with medium to low alcohol content that is ready for drinking as soon as it can be carbonated.

When poured the Kolsch is cloudy, even after being refrigerated for a week at 36F. Jamil had suggested that this Kolsch could take up to 4 weeks to condition and clear. He may be right in his thinking too, based on my experience that would be how long might take.

'Give a man a beer and he'll waste an hour, teach him to brew beer and he'll waste a lifetime'
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

Screwy, I didn't get to the Kolsch this past weekend but I'm trying to have it set up for Wednesday. I need to get to the LHBS tomorrow and get what I need.

I am trying to have this ready for a party March 19th, so my plan is to get it going letting it ferment 2 weeks warming it up at the end to let it finish out. I will probably need to fine this with Gelatin so it is clear and drinkable come that time. Not sure if i'm going to fine then let it lager then keg it and carbonate or what the process might be for this one.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

This week I will add gelatin to a full keg that is carbonated already but has not been tapped yet. That will clear it up close enough for the style while allowing the flavors to mature a bit more too. Meanwhile I'll pour a glass daily to see how the first keg clears without using any gelatin.

MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

I brewed up the Kolsch I had in mind, it cold crashed for several days and I just kegged it lastnight. I was planning on using some Gelatin, but it wasn't needed after cold crashing, the beer was clear enough. If the beer tastes half as good as the sample did while kegging I am in for a great beer. No water adjustments on this one, just acid for the mash and sparge. I may have went a little out of style with some extra hops but it will make for a good drinking beer for the party.
ScrewyBrewer
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by ScrewyBrewer »

MadBrewer wrote:I brewed up the Kolsch I had in mind, it cold crashed for several days and I just kegged it lastnight. I was planning on using some Gelatin, but it wasn't needed after cold crashing, the beer was clear enough. If the beer tastes half as good as the sample did while kegging I am in for a great beer. No water adjustments on this one, just acid for the mash and sparge. I may have went a little out of style with some extra hops but it will make for a good drinking beer for the party.
@MadBrewer I'm down to the last 3 gallons of Kolsch now and the beer is pouring very clear now, I never did add any gelatin to it as I had planned on doing. Everyone who drank this beer has enjoyed it and given very positive feedback, even those like myself who've never heard of or tasted the style before. Kolsch has earned a permanent place of honor in my ever growing brewing rotation and I look forward to brewing it again this summer.

mashani
mashani
mashani

Post by mashani »

Folks talk about how hard it is to get Kolsch to clear, but every one of them I've ever made has cleared nicely after a few weeks in the bottle.
MadBrewer
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by MadBrewer »

mashani wrote:Folks talk about how hard it is to get Kolsch to clear, but every one of them I've ever made has cleared nicely after a few weeks in the bottle.
I have always heard Kolsch yeast was hard to drop clear. What I used was K-97...not exactly a Kolsch yeast so that might have something to do with it clearing pretty well for me. I did end up purging the gas, popping the lid on this keg and adding Gelatin after all last night. The beer is clearing, but not Kolsch clear and while (I) like the flavor, it's a bit hoppy for what I have in mind. Adding the Gelatin is just a quick cheat to have the beer ready for this weekend. It is going to be drank up at a party on Saturday, so the Gelatin is going to help have it ready in place of conditioning time. In my experience with Gelatin, it does strip out a bit of hop flavor, which will help mellow and round this beer out perfectly. I think if it was to sit and condition for the next few weeks it would be the same as adding the Gelatin.