Chronicle of growing my own.

Information about hops and best uses.

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Re: Chronicle of growing my own.

Post by John Sand »

I do that lb. When they got to the top of the trellis last year, I just pinched them off. The side growth that produces the cones will take up growth then. This year I pinched them off again. They have become a little taller still, as the stem grows.
Making beer and stew for the Zombie Apocalypse.
Never mind, there it is.
gwcr

Post by gwcr »

Hercules was looking for some updated hop pics from his brother from another mother...
Fermenting: Bucket 1 - Fresh Squeezed IPA; Bucket 2 - Empty

Kegged: Keg 1 - Irish Red; Keg 2 - Cream Ale; Keg 3 - Amber Ale; Keg 4 - APA; Keg 5 - Empty; Keg 6 - Empty; Keg 7 - Empty
The reason why the above list is so small Home Theater Build
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

My hops are about 1 month planted. They took a while, they sprouted, took a couple weeks to do their stuff, now, 6+ inshes a day. But there is a problem... something is chowing the leaves. I've gone in the morning and evening to inspect, but don't know what eating the leaves...

On a different note, I have them growing in large pots. Do I cut them down at the end of the season, and eave to the harsh winter, or bring the pots into a 50* area for the winter?...
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Mine are in the ground, of course I leave them there. But if I thought they would freeze solid in a pot, I'd move them. I didn't cut them at all, as harvest was in my reach. I thought that leaving the leaves until they died off would help the roots.
Never mind, there it is.
philm00x

Post by philm00x »

I'll have to get a picture later, but my Cascades have reached the top of their trellis. My NB's have gotten a touch past halfway up. What do y'all mean about pinching them off? If it's anything that will force more cones to grow instead of more foliage, then I'm interested. Since there's no more room to go up for the Cascades, especially.
Official page of Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.

Up Next
Koning Oranje

Currently at Mr. Rufus Brewing Co.
Fermenting
Nothing :(
Conditioning
Nothing :(
Drinking
58. Choco Brown
60. Etcitra, Etcitra
61. Bubs' Pale Wheat Xtra
62. Ottoberfest
Brew Queue
ROAR! Bacon
Bombay
Saint Sebastian Tripel
Bubs' Pale Ale

mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

So I went to the garden center down the road looking for an answer about what is eating my foliage. Without seeing the critters, they have no clue. I understand that. Not having a green thumb, or even the desire to grow veggies, I thought there would be a "kills most pests" kind of spray or dust. I've seen what I think are baby flies, but that's it. Any ideas?
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

Phil, I just pinch the main stem off with my fingernails, severing it. Last year (1st year), this stopped upward growth. This year not as much, but it doesn't hurt them. Mine are doing great this year.
Never mind, there it is.
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

I would love a pic when you get a chance Phil.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck
Ibasterd
Brew Master
Brew Master

Post by Ibasterd »

Mine are alive and were doing well, but something has been chewing on the leaves as well. However, the main problem has been the amount of rain we've been having here lately. The haven't quite reached the trellace yet and some of the new growth rotted off due to the constant moisture. I hate living in FL sometimes (most times). I will post some pictures if things improve.
What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies -- See them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
BigPapaG
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by BigPapaG »

mtsoxfan wrote:So I went to the garden center down the road looking for an answer about what is eating my foliage. Without seeing the critters, they have no clue. I understand that. Not having a green thumb, or even the desire to grow veggies, I thought there would be a "kills most pests" kind of spray or dust. I've seen what I think are baby flies, but that's it. Any ideas?
Baby flies are maggots... Worm-like things...

If you mean worm-like things, they might be tomato worms (green)... Especially if there have been certain moths that look like small butterflies but are usually white or bland by comparison...

If you mean small fly-like creatures... It could be aphids... Or even spider mites.

Any chemical pesticide that is good for veggies, tomatoes etc. could help, but if you're like me, you might want to investigate more natural solutions...

Some gardeners have had luck with spraying the plants with things like:

A solution of manure and water

A weak dishsoap and water solution

A solution of water, lemon and garlic

I like the manure and water and / or the lemon, garlic and water better than the dishsoap.

BTW, if it's mostly lower leaves, it might be slugs or Japanese beetles...

A cup of BMC will attract slus (they fall in, get drunk and drown.

Not sure what takes care of Japanese beetles as they don't seem to be a problem up here.

:cool:
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

I did find one rather large light lime green worm, about 1 1/4" long curled up near the base. He's done... No maggots but winged small fly like creatures. i'll try to post pic.

John Sand... the side growth produces cones? I've been pinching them off because I read they are suckers and take away from the root growth. I will stop that practice to research further.
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

can anyone identify? and how can I kill or repel them from plants? Does it eat leaves or is it just resting? There were several on different leaves...
Attachments
hop fly (480x640).jpg
hop fly (480x640).jpg (176.08 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
John Sand
Brew Guru
Brew Guru

Post by John Sand »

The side growth produces the cones.
I have those same small flies on my plants. I don't think they are eating it. I also see ants, which makes me think there are aphids. (Ants will place aphids on plants to get their nectar-like by product) Some of my leaves are chewed, but not enough to worry me. Earlier and last year I used some kind of "natural" repellant, which smelled spicy.
Never mind, there it is.
mtsoxfan
Uber Brewer
Uber Brewer

Post by mtsoxfan »

I always though aphids were very small, lime green, almost transparent bugs. I've seen those before when I tried to grow tomatoes. Since you've grown hops before, I will trust what you say about side growth, thanks.

I have 6 plants in buckets, 3 have the leaves eaten just like the pic, and the other 3, little to no damage. I'm thinking about the soapy water solution, as I have some prepared to kill wasps/bees and the nests... another issue we have around here...
BlackDuck

Post by BlackDuck »

Those look like some sort of a sweat bee.
ANTLER BREWING
Drinking
#93 - Gerst Amber Ale
Conditioning and Carbing

Fermenting

On Deck