calculating abv

Yes BrewDemon and Mr. Beer kits are pretty darn easy but sometime you need a little help from the Borg to get you on the right track. Post your questions here!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Pudge
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Re: calculating abv

Post by Pudge »

Yep, whether you bottle prime or batch prime, you'd have to recalculate your OG. My previous post was misleading.
ebbz

Re: calculating abv

Post by ebbz »

mashani wrote:
ebbz wrote:So, did you assume a FG of 1.015 after the priming sugar fermented because that is what was read after the primary finished or did you take another SG reading afterwards?
So ebbz... the trick here is that sugar will ferment out 100%, where say if you were to prime with malt (IE to keep it Reinheitsgebot) might ferment out 70% to 80%.

So both will increase your effective OG (the amount of sugar your batch has as a total) if you add it late into the fermentation.

But only extra malt will affect your final gravity, because some of it will not ferment out. So if you were to prime with malt it will actually possibly increase your FG ever so slightly. Whether you notice or not, probably not. But you still can't really calculate the ABV from the FG.

Both will increase the ABV, but you can't calculate it by checking your FG a second time after you add that little bit of sugar... the FG will remain pretty much the same after it ferments out. Because it ferments out 100%. So in either case, you have to calculate it by increasing your OG and then comparing it to the FG.

So the only way to really "guess" is to slightly increase your OG by how much sugar you added, IE add 5oz of sugar or whatever to your brewing software as if it was part of your batch.

Why anyone really would want to bother with that, I don't know, but that's how you can do it.
I dig it. Makes perfect sense. Thanks.
LLAP

-In Cervesia Veritas