Water Treatment

Let your knowledge and questions of water flow!

Moderators: BlackDuck, Beer-lord, LouieMacGoo, philm00x, gwcr

Beer-lord

Re: Water Treatment

Post by Beer-lord »

That brown ale was awesome, even sans tape!
PABs Brewing
Planning
Brew good beer and live a hoppy life
Fermenting

Drinking
Disfucted
Smelly Hops
(split batch) A Many Stringed Bow
Up Next
Men In Black
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Alright Guys; I think I also read somewhere that most water treatment plants are going to chloramine for treatment, so campden tablets are for insurance. As all agree that lab test is a must so Ward Labs here I come. I'll look for the download of a water profile helper. Thanks for the feedback on this thread. :flag:
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Got a Call from the Man that dose the testing for our Rural Water Supply yesterday, the first thing he asked was why I wanted the test results for the water, I think he may have thought I was from the EPA. As we got to talking he said that our water was on the hard side so figure I'll use a filter when hard water is not needed, also said that only chorine is used, so no campden tablets needed. Before hanging up he said that he would get together all the recent test results and mail them to me. Really enjoyed my conversation with him and he seemed to want to help in what ever way that he could.
Whamolagan
Braumeister
Braumeister

Post by Whamolagan »

If you want to remove the calcium, you can boil your brew water for 30 minutes. let it cool. when it gets to around 120 whirlpool the water and wait till the calcium settles out. skim the water off the top. THat will also take care of the chlorine.
JohnSant
Fully Fermented
Fully Fermented

Post by JohnSant »

Thanks Whamolagan, need all the help I can get with my brewing. I'll give this trick a try on my next brew. :flag: